X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important are rules....

This is about ball golf, but rules discussions are always a good thing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/de...rn=golf-262517
    Whenever I see a matress on top of a car, I think it's a prostitute making a house call!

This is more about the letter of the law vs the spirit of the law. I've always felt that the letter of the law should be followed because the spirit is open to interpretation. It sucks when it bites you in the but that's the way it goes sometimes.
    Whenever I see a matress on top of a car, I think it's a prostitute making a house call!

Comment

I watched this live yesterday. He definitely grounded the club and he was definitely in a bunker so he was penalized accordingly.

It was too bad that given the enormity of the situation not one of the many pga officials reminded him before he addressed the ball that he was in a bunker. The biggest problem in that situation is the course and crowd design for the tournament. Bunkers are a significant hazard in golf and should not be part of the gallery's path.

Dustin Johnson ended up making about $270,000 for tying for 5th place. Had he gotten 3rd place in the playoff he would have won around $500,000. If he won the playoff he would have won $1.35 Million. That was potentially A million dollar mistake. He took it pretty well all things considered.

On a side note last cash at this tournament made $13,900. $1,000 less than the USDGC champion made last year.

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/2...ng/results.cfm
      Read this ^

Comment

The thing about the official not saying anything is that it is not his place to say anything. He is their as an observer to make sure that the rules are followed, not to keep everyone from breaking them when they are getting ready to commit an infraction.

As much as I hated seeing this happen to him (I was watching it live and it killed me to see it) I also appreciated the way that he handled it. I have yet to see a professional ball golfer not take the high road and say that they were disappointed but in the end it was his responsibility and he made a mistake.

I think the thing that made me the most upset about the entire situation is that the course people seemed to want to have everything their way: have the course play the way it was originally designed and have as many paying customers there to watch the event. Because of the crowds, these bunkers that were in the design became part of the gallery and it cost someone a chance at a championship. Had there been no gallery there (actually standing IN the hazard while he is making his shot) then he would have never grounded the club as it would have been obvious that it was a bunker. I think they should have either played the course and had less gallery area or understood that they wanted a huge crowd and let off on the bunker rule a bit.

I just wish I could hit a golf ball with any kind of accuracy.......

Later,
        Scott Papa
        Team Discraft
        Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine

Comment

There was a rules sheet made available to all players and the first line was about the bunkers that would be off the fairways in the croud. He had admitted that he did not read the rules sheet. If he had he would have been aware that he were in one of these hazards. Looks like having knowledge of the rules is a very important part of golf.
          Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
            There was a rules sheet made available to all players and the first line was about the bunkers that would be off the fairways in the croud. He had admitted that he did not read the rules sheet. If he had he would have been aware that he were in one of these hazards. Looks like having knowledge of the rules is a very important part of golf.
            DING! DING! DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!
            Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
            Remain ye men of faculty complete,
            Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
            Attending to our noble bond and contract?
            Or does here stand the last remaining man
            To give a fig for rules and order yet,
            No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
            Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
            Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

As far as I know, it doesn't matter where the bunker is, you cannot ground your club in a bunker. If you ground your club, you can gauge how soft/firm the sand is, and adjust your swing accordingly. I don't care if he read the rules sheet or not, being a touring pro he should have known that already.
              PDGA #42116

Comment

I think most of us that watched it live had no idea that there was any sort of bunker there... the shot landed in a large gallery, and the area was trampled by a mob surrounding the lie>> the 'mini' bunkers were already lacking distinct borders, but this was made worse by the heavy foot traffic... and the fact that there were sandy places throughout the course.
                Even if he had read through the rules sheet thoroughly, there's a good chance he'd have overlooked the fact that he was in a 'bunker', considering the physical circumstances and the enormous pressure he was feeling while approaching that shot. Regardless, Chris is right, he should've read the rule book... or just put it on the fairway..
                Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Rules aren't important and neither are city, state and federal laws, just ask a North Park regular!
                  Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                    Rules aren't important and neither are city, state and federal laws, just ask a North Park regular!
                    Posts like these make me want to cancel my internet service.
                    The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
                      Posts like these make me want to cancel my internet service.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

last year chuck's posts made me CANCEL my internet service!!

Comment

To quote my neighbor Sue at the Chick Flick: "I have no problem following rules, so long as they make sense."
                          Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            To quote my neighbor Sue at the Chick Flick: "I have no problem following rules, so long as they make sense."
                            So if I don't think holing out makes sense I don't get two strokes during PDGA play? You have to follow rules whether you believe in them or not or you could suffer the consequences.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Or if you don't think it makes sense, don't play tournaments.
                              Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X