X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to aim and shoot through trees

I was wondering if there is a technique on how to shoot through trees with disc golf. I have been going to White River a lot to practice and it does not seem to get any easier.

Also, any techniques to learn how to aim?

Originally posted by Chef View Post
    I was wondering if there is a technique on how to shoot through trees with disc golf. I have been going to White River a lot to practice and it does not seem to get any easier.

Also, any techniques to learn how to aim?
    One thing that I found helped me was to not look at the trees, but rather look at the GAP through the trees. This helps me avoid object fixation.

A good example of object fixation happens when we're driving our cars down the highway and we see something in the road. Being so focused on that thing in the road, causes us to look right at it, and as a result we often run right over it. Where we look... is often where we go.

Hope that helps.

Jeff
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Don't just look at the gap; look at a point 100 feet beyond the gap.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I am having a hard time avoiding the trees with my drives. I know where I want to go... like I want to hyzer it through those two trees which will land in the fairway but it doesnt ever end up that way.

Another good example is when there is an A set up of trees all the way to the basket. If I drive it straight, it will naturally turn to the left. If I hug the tree line, I usually always hit a tree.

When you drive through trees and do your pull back, do you take your eyes off where you want the disc to go?

I get conflicting opinions on how to aim. Same say your shoulder aims, some say it is your front foot. I am confused about this.

Comment

Tree's what Tree's i see no stinkin tree's

Think/See throw/line what you want your disc to do not where you want it to go..........
          "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

NW: what do you mean?

Comment

NW: what do you mean?

which part?

Comment

lining what you want your disc to do

Comment

you have to "figure out/be able to see" the "line" of the throw before you throw it then there are no tree's....

Comment

if you mean "learning" not "lining" then it is all repetition/practice in a field.

It can be boring, but you will get better and better.

Comment

i would also like to clarify that i am not a "Pro Discer" nor do i portray 1 on TV.

I also did not stay at a "Holiday Inn Express" last night either....that is unless they want to pay me for saying that...

Comment

As for the pullback/follow through and taking your eyes off the target:

I usually try to throw through the trees with confidence. That being said, I try to execute my normal throw (since that's the one I am most confident with). To do that, I try not to change the mechanics of the throw.

I think what Jeff and others have said regarding trying to aim at a point 100 feet beyond the gap is a great piece of advice. At some point in your learning curve, your body and muscles know exactly what to do. You only task is to pick the disk and start the motion. The rest becomes muscle memory.
                        Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

Fortunately, I never hit any trees. Nope, never happened to me.

Seriously, pin-point accuracy is just tons of practice, and not throwing too hard. If I want to lose my accuracy (such as it is), I just have to put a little more on the shot and I either yank it a bit, or it slips out early. I'd say it would be good to put yourself in a position that requires an accurate shot and practice hitting your marks. I still go through times when I can't miss the trees. I hit more trees on long uphill tight shots because I'm pulling harder on those shots (see hole three at Mud).
                          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I cant wait for the muscle memory to kick in!!

It is frusterating.

When you "think" you have it, you dont.

Damn disc.

Comment

It will Chef, practice, even then 30 years later you'll still hit trees. Great thing about this game, you get another chance, sometimes sooner, sometimes later. Don't sweat it.
                              educate your thinking

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X