Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, but how do you get rid of them strokes, once you got 'em? The wonderful thing about those tree bounces, is the lie you usually get gives you more practice with the trees. The road to tripple bogies is lined with trees.

You know what I love? I love that term: "technical." From what I've seen, technical is just a fancy word for trees in the way.

You asked, Chef, about aiming. I don't know if you noticed the time we played, that I, being terminally stiff, take my eyes off the target for most of my driving stroke. Innitially, as I learned, I would pick out a point behind me to start my stroke. That was all well and good, if I was only playing one course, as I was. The late Dave McCaddon caught onto what I was doing and would stand back behind the tee pad, smile, and give me a cute little wave when I looked back for my marks. I realized I had to give up that crutch because I wouldn't always be on a familiar tee pad or even on the same course. I eventually had to trust my form and had to work on NOT seeing anything behind me when I rotated my upper body away from the target. So here, six or so years into this, I feel confident (on some days) that my drives are going somewhere near the direction I think I'm throwing.
    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post
      Another good example is when there is an A set up of trees all the way to the basket. If I drive it straight, it will naturally turn to the left. If I hug the tree line, I usually always hit a tree.

When you drive through trees and do your pull back, do you take your eyes off where you want the disc to go?

I get conflicting opinions on how to aim. Same say your shoulder aims, some say it is your front foot. I am confused about this.
      sounds like you need to learn how to throw a straight shot with a tbird or more exclusively a ROC. then learn an easy anhyzer and easy hyzer shot with the same disc.
      i do take my eyes off the target entirely, and yes i visualize the shot. unlike some of the comments above, i do not focus 100ft pass the window, but actually aim precisely for the fat part of the window that i want to hit. I aim with my shoulder, visualize the shot, and if the disc is at the correct angle when it hits the window then your shot will be golden... let the disc do the rest of the work eh?
      i don't know if that will help but it has helped me tremendously. give it a shot.
      May the wind be in your favor...

Comment

Interesting Dr. I do find my upshots more precise and straight then I find my drives.

Comment

this might help what i'm describing. the circle is the fat part of the window i want to hit. I focus on the left side of the circle (next to the tree), visualize the shot as a "flat to very soft hyzer" and typically hit the right side of the circle. if the disc is flat to slight hyzer, and i hit that circle, i'm golden.
          annie shots are the same way except i stand on the right side of the t pad. same aim, same visual but with an annie, hopefully the same result.
          Last edited by Dr. Zaius; November 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM.
          May the wind be in your favor...

Comment

sorry for the dumb question, but wouldnt you want to go around that big tree that is in front of the circle? Maybe that is my mistake, maybe going to far with my throws.

Comment

I think the circle is for in between the trees closer to the tee. The big tree is all the way down by the short basket placement. Not that you would want to hit that tree, but it's more toward the end of the flight than the beginning. Makes me want to play Dexter anyway.
              Last edited by Eric Olson; November 11th, 2008, 07:22 PM.

Comment

All the answers will reveal themselves over the next million or so throws. When you can miss those trees, Grasshopper, you will be ready.

The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

patience... I need it. Sometimes it is hard to think if I am getting better. I play 3-4 times a week and practice either putting or driving 4 times a week.

Comment

patience... I need it. Sometimes it is hard to think if I am getting better. I play 3-4 times a week and practice either putting or driving 4 times a week.

DING DING DING We have a WINNER

Tell him what he has WON

A SOLID Disc game that will have many peaks and valleys and yet after all those 1000's of throws you will still find that those tree's will step right out in front of of you at any given time......

So keep on drilling with your driving and always practice putting it will only make you better.

Good Luck

"In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Zaius View Post
                      sounds like you need to learn how to throw a straight shot with a tbird or more exclusively a ROC.
                      Follow this advice. I've been throwing TeeBird, Roc, and Aviar almost exclusively since summer and have shaved a stroke or two off my average at Pier. Doesn't sound like much but I spent all summer house hunting so didn't get to play much. Learn to throw flat and straight and everything else will fall into place. Plus, when carrying only three discs, you have more room for beer!

Comment

you will use your tbird and roc as a driver too?

Comment

Also keep in mind that there is no "ONE" disc out there that will make you a better player. Some like to throw a Roc (whereas, I would rather throw a rock), some prefer the Buzzz, others a Shark, possibly a Comet, etc. There are so many components that go into your game, the disc is only one of those components. The practice is what will make your game better. Not the newest, fastest disc to come out on the market (however, Ol' Bob and I are currently working on the world's first speed 42 putter). Take the collection of discs you have now, and really work on getting to know those discs. Once you can throw them, and throw them well, you will get a much more clear idea what others you might need in your arsenal. And as many on here have said, no matter how much you practice, the trees will eventually end up jumping into the flight path of your disc. It just happens. As it does with stick golfers, too. Worry less, enjoy more. Besides, hitting a tree is just another opportunity to work on your short game (which is more important than driving, anyway - at least at our skill level).
                          TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Zaius View Post
                            sounds like you need to learn how to throw a straight shot with a tbird or more exclusively a ROC. then learn an easy anhyzer and easy hyzer shot with the same disc.
                            Or a Comet, or an Avenger SS, or a Wizard, maybe a #2 Driver...

Sorry.
                            TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

you will use your tbird and roc as a driver too?
                              Yes, I use the TeeBird as my driver. Sure, it may not go as far as my Wraith or Destroyer, but the purpose is to work on your form and throw it straight. Since it is such a neutral disc I can use it for anny, hyzer, and roller shots too. After I get good with it I will start mixing in my other discs, or I may just throw an Orc in my bag and use that as my driver as the next stage.

Don't listen to your brother, whatever you do!

Comment

Remind me to kick you in the shin later, Jevon...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X