X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jshrack View Post
    I think the PDGA took the system one step further by just adding the SSA system in 2002.
    True, it's mostly used to rate the players but with some work you can figure out your course ratings as well... as long as sanctioned tourneys have run there.
    http://www.pdga.com/course-ratings-by-course?

My local course has a PAR of 54, standard for an 18 basket course.
    My local course had an SSA of 49.44 in it's last tourney, meaning the average "PAR" player on a standard difficulty course would probably score a 49 or 50 on our layout.
    Different Tees, Baskets, and weather can all effect a course difficulty.

Par gives everyone a goal to shoot for and use as a gauge to improve.
    I am still lookin for my first even round and will celebrate the day.
    (so many +1's)
    actually the SSA for a course is what a 1000 rated player would shoot on a average round. and most of us are not 1000 rated players or close to that, so course SSA is a high acheivment to shoot for, it is not par for a average round.
    Team HOSER:dancing:
    Team OLY:cheerleader:
    Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

All I could think about while reading this thread is how absurd it is to keep hearing people claim Sea-Tac is par 54.
      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
        All I could think about while reading this thread is how absurd it is to keep hearing people claim Sea-Tac is par 54.
        What he said.
        Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

One could argue that Par is not set but defined.

If you decide that the the PDGA sets the standards for what discs you use and what targets you throw at, it would stand to reason the their well documented guide lines for par would be our common definition.
          If you want say a particular hole is more or less stokes than what PDGA guide lines would call it (this include SSA calculated par) maybe call it something other than par, while the rest of us will use the term "par" so we can maintain a shared vocabulary that doesn't require constant qualifiers i.e. "real par 3" or "should really be a 4".
          sigpic

Comment

Agreed!

Comment

My thoughts exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzel View Post
                Agreed!
                I see Sea-Tac par as being somewhere between 58 and 60.

Almost certainly Par 4s:
                Hole 12
                Hole 14
                Hole 16
                Hole 17
                Hole 18

Could possibly be called par 4s.
                Hole 11 - a 2 on this hole is possible, but very tough.
                Hole 15 - same same.

Yes, these last two are questionable, but a 2 on either of these holes would be simply amazing. If the high route on 11 were to be opened up again I'd say it would drop back down to a 3.
                Last edited by Bullseye; July 26th, 2010, 11:45 AM. Reason: said 13. meant 15
                "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I vote that hole 15 is also a par 4, despite the fact that a few rare psycho pros can occasionally deuce it....
                  Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                  Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                  Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                  Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                  Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Could possibly be called par 4s.
                    Hole 11 - a 2 on this hole is possible, but very tough.
                    Hole 13 - same same.

Yes, these last two are questionable, but a 2 on either of these holes would be simply amazing. If the high route on 11 were to be opened up again I'd say it would drop back down to a 3.
                    You've gotta be thinking 15, not 13, right? Both 11 and 13 have been aced, so I think that effectively takes them both out of par 4 territory. But I don't think there's anything wrong with a par 4 being potentially twoable, that's just an eagle. Heck, I forget what distance was, but I remember Skellenger managed to two a par 5 hole at USDGC a couple years ago.
                    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      You've gotta be thinking 15, not 13, right? Both 11 and 13 have been aced, so I think that effectively takes them both out of par 4 territory. But I don't think there's anything wrong with a par 4 being potentially twoable, that's just an eagle. Heck, I forget what distance was, but I remember Skellenger managed to two a par 5 hole at USDGC a couple years ago.
                      Yes, you are correct. 15 is the one I was talking about. I'll go correct my post.

Comment

Seatac was built with the open players in mind, correct? Well if you look at the results of the first round at Seatac (Duel Nature) and do some math you will see that the average score of the open players for the first round was a 60 (+6). If you correct the pars at Seatac with making holes 12, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18 all par fours then the average score at Seatac for open players would still be PAR(60). This seems to make more sense.
                        Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

SSA vs. PAR

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                          actually the SSA for a course is what a 1000 rated player would shoot on a average round. and most of us are not 1000 rated players or close to that, so course SSA is a high acheivment to shoot for, it is not par for a average round.
                          I said standard difficulty before, meant 'PDGA standards' which are hard. Overall you basically said the same I said, just in different words.
                          A 1000 rated player would be expected to score an even 'PAR' on "the perfect difficulty course" as judged by the PDGA.

Look at Ball Golf though, Most PGA tourneys have less than 10 pro's playing better than PAR on each round. And when you look, it's almost always 10 of the top 20 players in the world. It is a very tough level of play to keep up.
                          SSA reflects that at a professional level.
                          When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

In watching the Open Championship from St. Andrews last week, I kept hearing the commentators speaking of, "birdie holes." Obviously, certain holes will always favor certain kinds of players. A lot of those big-arm guys just hit trees harder than the rest of us. A wimp who can miss the trees can't fire off those long open shots that require nothing more than big D. It all gets pretty subjective.
                            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

PDGA

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/ParHistory.pdf

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/ParGuidelines.pdf

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/...Guides2009.pdf
                              When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

Hole 11 was "aced" When the trees were way thinner up top. An "ace" right now on that hole is an ace on a par for.. an albatross. Seatac is a par 60. The average hole scores are well over 3.5 it is a par 4 wether or not it is an easy par 4 or not. just because it is an easy par 4 doesn't mean that pros aren't going to take 5's or worse. I remember at last years Jetwash some one (I think it was Stephen) got a 2 on 15 because he punched a sick drive up the middle and hit a 40' putt. When I played with him on the second round he punched his drive again a little left and ended up with a 6. I went 3/4 on the day beating him by 1 on the day..
                                Relax and enjoy your hair
                                TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X