X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scouting and Disc Golf

I'm probably the only guy on the forum who cares about this, but I was happy to discover today that the requirements for the Cub Scouts sports belt loop and pin for Ultimate have recently been expanded to include disc golf.

The requirements for these awards are as follows:

Belt Loop
    Complete these three requirements:

Explain the rules of ultimate or disc golf to your leader or adult partner.
    Spend at least 30 minutes practicing ultimate or disc golf skills.
    Participate in a game of ultimate or disc golf.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sports Pin
    Earn the Ultimate belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:

Compete in a pack or community ultimate or disc golf tournament.
    Demonstrate effective pivoting while throwing. Use some of the following throwing styles: backhand pass, sidearm pass, and upside-down pass, and/or roller throw.
    Demonstrate skill in the following catching techniquesne-handed, clapping, and sandwich.
    Spend a total of 90 minutes practicing skills of ultimate or disc golf. Keep track of your time on a chart.
    Explain the flight dynamics of the flying disc. Draw a diagram if needed.
    Accurately lay out an ultimate playing field or diagram three typical disc golf holes.
    Play five games of ultimate or disc golf.
    Participate in an ultimate skills or disc golf skilld development clinic.
    Explain the history of ultimate or disc golf and how it became a sport.
    Explain the differences between ultimate and golf discs.

More information about these awards can be found here: http://www.usscouts.org/advance/CubScout/a-sindex.asp

I wonder what Matthew will be earning next?

I'm probably the only guy on the forum who will tell you this, but... I think you are a little old for the cub scouts, Scott.

Comment

ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post
        I'm probably the only guy on the forum who will tell you this, but... I think you are a little old for the cub scouts, Scott.

Funny.

But the cool part about being a cub scout leader is that you get to do all the cool stuff you did as a kid, or at least do all the cool stuff you missed as a kid.

Comment

If I'd known about disc golf when I was that age, I might have stayed with scouting a bit longer. I remember when I was moving up, we had to start doing community service projects, I would have been stoked to be able to build/fix up a local course or two, and get credit for it. Instead, there were playgrounds I didn't care about so much, and I eventually quit (for various reasons). I think that's great though, that disc golf is being integrated into scouting.
          Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            If I'd known about disc golf when I was that age, I might have stayed with scouting a bit longer. I remember when I was moving up, we had to start doing community service projects, I would have been stoked to be able to build/fix up a local course or two, and get credit for it. Instead, there were playgrounds I didn't care about so much, and I eventually quit (for various reasons). I think that's great though, that disc golf is being integrated into scouting.
            I'm pretty sure that the course at Timber Linn in Albany was an Eagle Project. There are others too, but I don't recall which ones.

It sounds as if a Disc Sports merit badge is currently being considered by the national Scout office. This would be all inclusive, to include dg, ultimate, Freestyle, MTA, etc...

I wouldn't say that disc golf is integrated into scouting, but the pieces are being put into place.

Comment

Scouting was my first introduction to disc golf. We played it in the winter on cross country skis. We would go and mark out the course with that pink flagging tape and then go through and play it. The last person to hit the tree took the marker off the tree so we wouldn't have to go back afterward. We all had frisbee's with us while camping in the winter so it worked out great. You could sled on it, use it as a shovel to dig out a snow shelter, use it as a plate for your dinner, and use it for disc golf! This was back in the 80's and when I saw my first modern basket at Pier I was blown away. I had no idea the sport and grown into what it is now.

Comment

alrighty i can officially do disc golf with the cub scouts tonite. i have been using the ultimate belt loop and coming up with my own requirements for the cub scouts i lead. cool to see someone else involved in scouts and disc golf.

Comment

Originally posted by rob smith View Post
                  alrighty i can officially do disc golf with the cub scouts tonite. i have been using the ultimate belt loop and coming up with my own requirements for the cub scouts i lead. cool to see someone else involved in scouts and disc golf.
                  Cool, I'm not the only one.

What group do you lead? Where are you located?
                  I'd eventually like to do a clinc/event with my pack. Depending on interest, we could grow it to include multiple packs.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    Cool, I'm not the only one.

What group do you lead? Where are you located?
                    I'd eventually like to do a clinc/event with my pack. Depending on interest, we could grow it to include multiple packs.
                    gladstone pack 523

Comment

Controversial part of this discussion moved to Boy Scouts of America thread on the Controversial Topics board.
                      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                      Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X