X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making the Drive go where YOU want

My wife and I played Hordings Hide out today and it was awesome.

But I was wondering.... when I was about ready to drive, I would visualize where I wanted the disc to go, say like inbetween two trees. Then I would take my steps, pull back, pull my head back and take my eye off the path of where I wanted the disc to go and bring my body forward to drive.

Often times, the disc would not go the way I wanted it to go....

Should I be bringing my eye off the path I want it to go?

Any advice would be great.

Thank you

I haven't been playing for a all that long. Although, I do know that if you lead with your shoulder in the direction you want your disc to go, it will likely go there. However it also depends on the type of disc, your arm speed, snap, and angle of your release.
    this is me when I hit a tree, after tree, after tree

Comment

Here's something that I find helps: if you want a disc to go between two trees, DO NOT LOOK AT THE TREES. Look at a point 100 feet beyond the trees, and try to put the disc there. If you focus on the trees themselves, you'll smack 'em.

Also, don't worry too much if the disc doesn't always go exactly where you want it. You're new, and even those of us who've been playing for years still hit trees that are 20 feet from the teepad.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Go to a place where you can practice with lots of drivers and test your accuracy versus power ratio. Find out how hard you can throw and keep your accuracy, and then try to stay in that range. Yeah, just try. (But I want to throw it farther!)
        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I have found that if I aim for the trees, I will not hit them...

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post
            when I was about ready to drive, I would visualize where I wanted the disc to go, say like inbetween two trees. Then I would take my steps, pull back, pull my head back and take my eye off the path of where I wanted the disc to go and bring my body forward to drive.
            On a full power drive you'll have to turn your head away from the target for a moment during the reachback. Part of the key to accuracy is getting your eyes back on target when you start the pull. The less time spent with your head facing opposite the target the better. On throws in upshot range where I don't need a full reachback, I try to keep my eye on the target the entire time.

Adam had another good point when he suggested not to focus on the trees you're trying to avoid. Visualize the line your disc will fly, and just focus on executing that. I usually just aim at a point in space I want the disc to travel through during the first portion of it's flight, throw as well as I can, and let the disc do what it is supposed to do.

Comment

I try to focus on the line I want the disc to go but it doesnt agree with me most of the time!

Comment

I am finding that I have some of the same issues with direction. I feel like my snap is getting there, but not always in the direction I want it to go. As with most motions, like hitting a golf ball or sinking a jumper, the muscle memory comes more into play with the practice. The more you do it, the more your arm will get used to the motion and release.

My $.02 from one newer golfer to another. I just go out there for the experience and if I can walk away, at this point, talking about one hole I did well, or a great putt I made, then it was a great day of disc in my book.
                Huh...I didn't even see that tree.
                PDGA #37890
                Stumptown #157
                ODW TDG 10-11
                3C&D TDG 09-10

Comment

Originally posted by D-Walk View Post
                  My $.02 from one newer golfer to another. I just go out there for the experience and if I can walk away, at this point, talking about one hole I did well, or a great putt I made, then it was a great day of disc in my book.
                  Two years in, that is still the way I try to approach this sport. Today, it was recovering from a $#!++y drive on 18, getting a somewhat decent approach, and hitting a 75 foot putt/approach to save a even par round. To me that was better than almost acing hole 7 with a tomahawk.
                  TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

Originally posted by zippyboy View Post
                    ...almost acing hole 7 with a tomahawk.
                    ...and getting mad at Ol' Bob for saying it was "a lucky shot!"

Actually, I should have you pick my lotto numbers.
                    Last edited by Ol' Bob; October 26th, 2008, 07:33 PM.
                    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Try using a control grip instead of a power grip. In a control grip your index finger rests on the edge of the disc, with the next two or maybe three under the rim. It decreases distance but will improve accuracy...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                      Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X