Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do You Play?

One reason. Why do you play disc golf?

For me, it is about the competition. I want to beat the course by going under par and I want to beat the people I am playing with - always.

So why do you play disc golf?
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

I play because I like walking around in the woods with friends; drinking and throwing things.

Comment

Right now I play to get better. Later it will most certainly be about the competition.
      Huh...I didn't even see that tree.
      PDGA #37890
      Stumptown #157
      ODW TDG 10-11
      3C&D TDG 09-10

Comment

I think I have had three distinct motivational stages, and I think I am moving through them cyclically.

1. I first played as a distraction. It was a nice activity that took my mind off of other things.

2. Then I played for competition. When my skills increased, so did my desire to display and refine those skills.

3. Then I played for the camaraderie of those that I had been playing with for the last few years.

Now, I think I am back to stage 1.
        Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

I play for two reasons: The money and the glory.

Seriously now...

At first, it was for the competition. Every hole, I want to throw it better than I ever have. Every round, I want to shoot my best.

But over time, my reason for golfing has changed a little bit. I'm still very competitve, but that's not the main reason I go out there.

I'm a disc golfer. I can't imagine my life without it. It's who I am. It's what I am.

So why do I play golf? Becuase that's what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Susie Sunshine View Post
            I play because I like walking around in the woods with friends; drinking and throwing things.
            Exactly my thoughts.

Comment

I'm always playing against my own score. This sport drew me in the same way pool did earlier in my life. DG is so much better in so many ways than pool was for me. The primary reason I play might be due to some deep-seated mental disorder, but the rest of the game is pure benefit (except when the weather is really crappy).
              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

The competition part of it has never been a big draw for me, other than competing against myself. I've found competition to work well at bringing the asshole out in people. Yet, I still play a good number of tournaments, and the reason for that, mainly, is the camaraderie.

Mainly, its just the nature of the game that keeps me going...a balance of physical and mental exercise, with a bit of luck thrown in, and a great way to spend some time outdoors. It can be enjoyed in a group, or by yourself. Plus it seems like there's always something new to learn.
                Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  Mainly, its just the nature of the game that keeps me going...a balance of physical and mental exercise, with a bit of luck thrown in, and a great way to spend some time outdoors. It can be enjoyed in a group, or by yourself. Plus it seems like there's always something new to learn.
                  Thanks Tim, you saved me a bunch of typing.

Also, I just like to throw stuff and watch it fly.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I go through cycles as well, I like getting out and playing with my dog, I like the people I play with, I like getting better and striving to improve, I like competition, and lately when all of this has failed me I found that some discs just look beautiful when gliding through the air. I recently found a roc that in particular just glides and glides and is a pleasure to watch.

Comment

No no no... ONE reason. Trying to prove a point here.
                      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                        No no no... ONE reason. Trying to prove a point here.

I play for the next throw.
                        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

NATURE!

Comment

The Vaporizer!
                            Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
                            Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

Playing by the one reason rule - escape. There is no better refuge from life than throwing a round with Bob at the Mud. No cell phone service, the most beautiful course Washington has to offer, and some of the best company you'll have for a round.

The other reasons: I like to throw things. To chill with the rest of the 'Nation and NOT be in the garage, drinking. Competition with myself to set PBs.
                              TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X