X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ratings question

So, this is probably going to be a silly question, but I figured this is a good place to ask. Say I don't have a PDGA rating but would like to get an estimate... is there some sort of formula that I could use with my lunchtime league scores to arrive at a rating?? (Shit I don't even know how to phrase that without sounding goofy).

Unfortunately, there isn't. What I would do (were I you) would be to average the scores you shot at Lunchtime this year on the same weeks Jamie was there. Average her scores as well. We know her rating and can add or subtract 10 points per stroke no matter which way you go.

Let me know if you need help with any of this.
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      Unfortunately, there isn't. What I would do (were I you) would be to average the scores you shot at Lunchtime this year on the same weeks Jamie was there. Average her scores as well. We know her rating and can add or subtract 10 points per stroke no matter which way you go.

We did this last year to give Dave P. a rating.
      I had tied him in a bagtag challenge at Lunchtime and we were given the same rating. Sam will figure it out for you so Sausage Fingas won't be overworked. Stern might also figure it out before Sam.....

Comment

Originally posted by darrl View Post
        We did this last year to give Dave P. a rating.
        I had tied him in a bagtag challenge at Lunchtime and we were given the same rating. Sam will figure it out for you so Sausage Fingas won't be overworked. Stern might also figure it out before Sam.....
        My wife's first post! Or, I accidentally posted under her "Arcade" account.
        Either way,
        Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
        Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'll see if I can find some time to do that later this afternoon.

Comment

The easiest way to get an estimateis to find someone who you are normally evenly matched with and look at theirs. That should get you close.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

Actually you can rate any round for which you have enough players, enough rated players, and enough propogators. I did it for Ewing Young rounds, Ken has done it before too. You use the spreadsheet from the PDGA. JLewis asked me about this. I wrote him:

"I have not rated any LL rounds, but I see no reason you could not plug each player's LL average into the PDGA rating calculator, and obtain their estimated rating as a result, with fairly good accuracy.

All the LL 2008 scores can be found at www.lunchtime.us .

The final sheet (and all the others) can also be found here: http://home.comcast.net/~accuspeed/LL08/Week13-YTD.htm

NOTE: The average, shown in column "13.av", is an adjusted average. For every 5 weeks played, the player's highest score is discarded from the average calculation. This helps prevent "handi-bagging", and limits the "reward" for a bad round in the handicap system.

If I were you, I would USE the adjusted average, but you could always calculate the real average from the raw scores.

You can copy and paste right into Excel from the web site, but you must use IE, it does not work with Firefox properly. Or I can send you the original sheets as you need. Additionally, you can download the .htm file, and then force it open with Excel, and it works great."

The link to the spreadsheet is at: {sorry, PDGA site is not working, kicks me straight to the board}

PM me, I can email you the sheet, completed examples, etc. You may need a math geek to assist if you're not into that kinda thing. I'll do it for a 6-pack!
              Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
              Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
              Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
              Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
              Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                Actually you can rate any round for which you have enough players, enough rated players, and enough propogators. I did it for Ewing Young rounds, Ken has done it before too. You use the spreadsheet from the PDGA. JLewis asked me about this. I wrote him:

"I have not rated any LL rounds, but I see no reason you could not plug each player's LL average into the PDGA rating calculator, and obtain their estimated rating as a result, with fairly good accuracy.

All the LL 2008 scores can be found at www.lunchtime.us .

The final sheet (and all the others) can also be found here: http://home.comcast.net/~accuspeed/LL08/Week13-YTD.htm

NOTE: The average, shown in column "13.av", is an adjusted average. For every 5 weeks played, the player's highest score is discarded from the average calculation. This helps prevent "handi-bagging", and limits the "reward" for a bad round in the handicap system.

If I were you, I would USE the adjusted average, but you could always calculate the real average from the raw scores.

You can copy and paste right into Excel from the web site, but you must use IE, it does not work with Firefox properly. Or I can send you the original sheets as you need. Additionally, you can download the .htm file, and then force it open with Excel, and it works great."

The link to the spreadsheet is at: {sorry, PDGA site is not working, kicks me straight to the board}

PM me, I can email you the sheet, completed examples, etc. You may need a math geek to assist if you're not into that kinda thing. I'll do it for a 6-pack!

You're the man.

The PDGA doesn't have as nice as a calendar as you do, either!
                Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I was just curious as to what my rating might be if I had one, and should have known it wouldn't be an easy thing to figure out. Too much math makes my head hurt. Ha! I'll get a rating on Sunday, though. Whooo!

And I agree - Gawain, you are the man.

Comment

Originally posted by Susie Sunshine View Post
                    Thanks, guys. I was just curious as to what my rating might be if I had one, and should have known it wouldn't be an easy thing to figure out. Too much math makes my head hurt. Ha! I'll get a rating on Sunday, though. Whooo!

And I agree - Gawain, you are the man.
                    He'd BE the Man if he'd done what I asked him to do. I KNOW where to get the LL stats from, I was looking for some of that help that has been talked about around here.
                    Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                    Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                    Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                    Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                    Or does here stand the last remaining man
                    To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                    No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                    Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                    Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Thanks for bringing this thread from email to the forum, that way everyone can enjoy our bickering...

Wow, you're bitching already and the season hasn't even started. Now I remember why I love TDG, it's that charismatic TD! Where did I refer to any "help around here" anyway?

Here's what you emailed me: "Yo G! Any help with ratings for Shawn, Eric, Joe and/or Claude below? Maybe from Lunchtime League?"

I thought what I replied to you WAS helpful, and WAS what you were looking for. I did not know I was to actually calculate the ratings for you. Now why did I not volunteer to run a Saturday division? Why did I step down from TDing Ice Bowl last year? Oh, yeah, my job working 45-50 hours per week. I just don't have the time to make a quality commitment. And what do I do all summer every summer? Calculate stats, points, payouts, etc. for Lunchtime League! Am I complaining? No! Do I enjoy it? Yes! Do players appreciate your winter efforts, my summer efforts, and the efforts of TDs everywhere? Yes! But do I know when NOT to volunteer in order to avoid either a) coming up short and not doing a quality volunteer effort, or b) burning myself out to the point where I don't want to volunteer for anything? Yes! Nowhere did I insinuate that I could work on TDG. Of course, like every TDG player, I will certainly pitch in, contributing to food funds, making out score cards, bringing eats, drinks, and smokes, popping canopies up and down, etc. But if there is something you need done, ask for it clearly (i.e. "Yo, G: Please calculate ratings for LL08 players and email to me - Jo!") and I will either happily comply or inform you that I cannot do it if I'm unable.

Anyway, I TRIED to calculate the ratings you requested, but the PDGA site is hosed, and you can't get any ratings from it at all right now. If you can supply ratings for enough of the 138 players that came to LL08, we can calculate ratings for the rest of them. Do you have that data? As you know, the 138 players are listed at:
                      http://home.comcast.net/~accuspeed/LL08/Week13-YTD.htm

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                        Thanks for bringing this thread from email to the forum
                        I thought that you has made it public with your post of October 16th, 2008 09:32 PM.

But it was my bad on not being more direct with my initial request. You can feel free to say no. I understand. Poor communication, again my bad.

I was lulled into thinking that if the PDGA website was working it was ALL working and didn't have the time to check it out. Again my bad. I don't have a way to set ratings until that is functioning.

Oh well, let's just go have fun playing disc golf at Pier tomorrow and worry about this later.

Sorry G.
                        Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                        Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                        Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                        Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                        Or does here stand the last remaining man
                        To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                        No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                        Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                        Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                          I was lulled into thinking that if the PDGA website was working it was ALL working and didn't have the time to check it out. Again my bad. I don't have a way to set ratings until that is functioning.

I bet the site will most likely have ratings stuff up before Sorosis.
                          We won't need them until then anyways.
                          Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                          Oh well, let's just go have fun playing disc golf at Pier tomorrow and worry about this later.
                          Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
                          Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

I apologize too. I must have thought I was on the ODSA forum. Wow, what a rant. It is so enlightening looking at my old posts - it's like a timeline of my moods! Anyway, sorry we could not get those ratings calculated, too bad about the PDGA site, I agree with "Oh well, let's just go have fun playing disc golf at Pier tomorrow and worry about this later"!

Comment

No good deed goes unpunished.
                              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X