X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disc golf baskets, whats a good basket

I'm really up in the aor on buying a basket for my yard, I don't know if I should go travel or not and if so either way what kind is best? If anyone can give me some ideas it would be helpful.
    Thanks all.

If you're buying for your yard bite the bullet, spend the money and buy a full size; otherwise why not just tie some ribbons around a tree to mimick the upper and lower range of a basket.
    educate your thinking

Comment

i bought a m-14 portalable metal basket. its nice and light has 2 set of chains that are kinda light imo but does have room to add a heavier set of chains. u can take the bottom base off and stick it in the ground...there about 150 to 175 up at mando's

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
        If you're buying for your yard bite the bullet, spend the money and buy a full size; otherwise why not just tie some ribbons around a tree to mimick the upper and lower range of a basket.
        I like the old school thought.
        Putting......heh...EASIEST THING IN THE WORLD!

Comment

I have an Innova Skill Shot and while it's not exactly like a real basket it catches pretty well and teaches you to throw a solid putt.
          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Best I've used, for the money, is the M-14, it doesn't catch perfectly but it fits the shape of a normal basket well.
            PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
            dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

Originally posted by mazza View Post
              i bought a m-14 portalable metal basket. its nice and light has 2 set of chains that are kinda light imo but does have room to add a heavier set of chains. u can take the bottom base off and stick it in the ground...there about 150 to 175 up at mando's
              I see M14s at: $139.99 online.

I found one with free shipping at that price.
              Last edited by Ol' Bob; April 12th, 2010, 10:06 AM.
              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I just found this old thread: http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...ead.php?t=3550

Originally posted by Toby Puttzinski View Post
                I am going to buy a few cheap baskets for the back yard, and I'm leaning toward the Pacific Outdoors Disc Golf Goal for $80.16, with free shipping through amazon.com.

I haven't found the M-14 for any less than $110 or so-- and from what I've gathered, it is fairly comparable to the more affordable Instep/PO basket.

I realize that neither of these baskets are super sturdy, and both could use some added chains. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations, or knows of a better deal somewhere.
                I'm wondering where the $110 deal is?

Comment

Looks like the nubs aren't really nubs.

Comment

Snap posted good pics of his M-14 on page two of that other thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                      Looks like the nubs aren't really nubs.
                      I've modified a few M-14's with extra chains. They work ok, but the extra weight is really more than the welds like to hold. I've ended up rewelding most of the basket to compensate.

The M-14's do have a small "nub" which is just the vertical metal of the basket sticking up past the top rail.

If your looking for a little cheaper route, Mike Moss makes some pretty nice portable metal baskets. The gauge of the metal is a little smaller than the mach V and chainstar, therefore a little lighter, but very nice baskets. We use some Mike Moss baskets at yauger and they catch as well as anything. If your interested, I can put you in touch with him.

And it just so happens that Im playing GNO this weekend so I could even help deliver it.
                      A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                        Snap posted good pics of his M-14 on page two of that other thread.
                        just took a 2nd look at those pictures, very clear, and don't know what oly is talking about on extra weight, the chains I added are almost weightless... I've got about 5 thousand putts on the basket with the added chains and I haven't seen any damage to either the basket or the discs I use.

Comment

If your looking for a little cheaper route, Mike Moss makes some pretty nice portable metal baskets.
                          I may have one of his, after it passed through several hands. Anyway, it had no nubs and I modified it to have them.

How much are his baskets? Are they galvanized or painted? Does he have a web presence?

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
                            If your looking for a little cheaper route, Mike Moss makes some pretty nice portable metal baskets. The gauge of the metal is a little smaller than the mach V and chainstar, therefore a little lighter, but very nice baskets. We use some Mike Moss baskets at yauger and they catch as well as anything. If your interested, I can put you in touch with him.

And it just so happens that Im playing GNO this weekend so I could even help deliver it.
                            The Mike Moss baskets are hands down my favorite "value baskets" that I've used. The shallow/angled cage can be daunting, but the actual chain assembly catches great, quite possibly even better than some "real" baskets. *coughmachiiicough*

I have yet to see one in real life yet, but I'm curious about the new Ching Chainmaster. It looks like it could be a good compromise between lightweight and heavy duty. And holy smokes...32 chains?
                            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

After modifying that basket, I now know the routine of adding a new 26" diameter top ring of 3/8" rod, and 3/8" rod nubs. Though it involves several hours of labor, the materials are only about $10 worth of 3/8 rod, a few sticks of welding rod, a can of spray paint, and the basket now has a top like the best baskets, except it's not galvanized. Adding chains can't be too big of a deal.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X