Driving north on I-5: Tom Pearce, Riverfront, Whistler's Bend, or Dexter? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving north on I-5: Tom Pearce, Riverfront, Whistler's Bend, or Dexter?

I'm heading back north from CA soon. I'm planning to play ONE 18-hole course on my way up.

Of the 4 courses in the subject line, which should I play? I realize Dexter and Whistler's are probably "better" courses, but they're also a lot farther off the freeway, and I'm already going to be sick of driving, so I have to take that into account.

I'll be by myself, so two other factors to consider: (1) where am I least likely to spend an hour looking for a lost disc in the brush, and (2) where am I least likely to have my car broken into at the course, seeing as how I'm going to have a lot of my worldly possessions with me?
    Oregon disc golf map

I say Whistlers or Dexter. Both are off of I-5 a bit, but both are definitely worth the detour.
    All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

as far as security goes for these two parks. Dexter's parking area isnt that far into the park, and its quite visible from many holes. Whistlers, you are parking way into the park, only visible from a couple holes. I dont know how often park officials patrol either one of these parks, as I have only played Dexter once, and Whistlers was during the GNO.
      All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

's

period

I have no insight for that choice, other than I heard somewhere that the course rocks. And it does.
        TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

What about Lake Selmac, Adair, Willamette, Bryant, Waterloo, Champoeg or Cascades Gateway? Of course they're all good, as well as Tom Pearce, Riverfront, and Dexter, but...

Of course, Whistler's Bend blows them all away!

If you have never been to Whistler's, then this question is a no-brainer.
          Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
          Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
          Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
          Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
          Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
            What about Lake Selmac, Adair, Willamette, Bryant, Waterloo, Champoeg or Cascades Gateway?
            'Cause I've been to all of those already, duh.

Is Whistler's Bend easy enough for a newbie to navigate?
            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
              Is Whistler's Bend easy enough for a newbie to navigate?
              Yes. Whistler's would be my pick as well. Especially if you haven't been there. It's beautiful.

Comment

I have to agree. Whistler's is the sheet and only fifteen minutes off the freeway. I would plan on spending some time though, WB is not a course you hurry through. If you are pinched for time and just want to stretch your legs Riverfront is a good choice. The course is quick to play and minutes off the freeway but I would not go out of my way to play it.

Comment

Adam, I would risk all of my worldly possessions for a first round at Whistler's. That said, I have never heard of anyone's car being broken into there. It's not like it's Dabney...

With a map (you know where to get one? ), you will have no problem navigating the course and the underbrush is minimal. Just remember where all of your discs go when you throw from the Top of the World... oh... and throw down from there, not out.

Jealous... I remember my first Whistler's round...
                  ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                  ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Okay okay, it sounds like there's a consensus; Whistler's Bend it is. I also ran in a Brad from Salem today, on his way south, who said Whistler's is da bomb. (Okay, he didn't actually say "da bomb.")

I played "University of O.B." in Weed this afternoon. A funny course: the terrain and vegetation is very much like Hyzer Pines (mostly flat, with sagebrush and ponderosa pines), but they've added yellow ropes around ditches and depressions to artificially create O.B. hazards that you have to avoid. There's even an "island green," although of course there's no actual water. Oh, and one of the baskets is on top of a 10-foot ziggurat-shaped mound!

I'll post a couple pictures once I get 'em off my camera. (Done.)
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Okay, y'all were right: Whistler's was pretty awesome. The back 9 had a few too many wide-open meadows for my taste, but the front 9 was amazing. (And hole #9: holy shit!)
                      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                        Okay, y'all were right: Whistler's was pretty awesome. The back 9 had a few too many wide-open meadows for my taste, but the front 9 was amazing. (And hole #9: holy shit!)
                        For the few of us who STILL haven't made it to Whistler's, could you please expand your thoughts on hole #9?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                          For the few of us who STILL haven't made it to Whistler's, could you please expand your thoughts on hole #9?
                          It shoots down a hill 300' or more to a basket on a ridge, with a 50-foot drop to the river right about 20' behind it. I can't find any photos on-line that do it justice, but these might give you an idea:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_i...2/a13852b4.jpg (tee)
                          http://www.odsa.com/mdga/wb_yose9up.jpg (fairway)
                          http://discgolfer.ning.com/photo/pho...APhoto%3A38125 (green)

It was especially nasty when I was there because there was a headwind coming up the hill; I tried to drive with my putter but it flipped over and rolled. (Still managed to pull out a three, though, thanks to a lucky approach shot.)
                          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X