As long as we're talking mulch...anyone know of a big-leaf maple that is coming down? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As long as we're talking mulch...anyone know of a big-leaf maple that is coming down?

I've been asked to make some bases for tourney trophies and would like to make them from some local big-leaf maple.

The catch is that you have to get the wood as soon as possible from when it came down for it to work well on the lathe and cure without cracking and checking.

If anyone has a big-leaf maple that is dead or dying (or has some seasoned wood that they wouldn't mind donating to a very good cause...) let me know.

Just think, a little bit of your tree could find a home on Kenny Climo's mantle!!!

Soon as possible because it is so prone to rot?

Durn, I had a large maple down last year and bucked it to firewood.

What size pieces are you looking for? Are you going to have it milled to lumber?
    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

You need to get on it quick because green wood is prone to dry out too fast and check (crack) making it useless or at least not tourney quality.

That's why the ends of your fire logs (at least in hard woods) show those cracks - checks to a wood worker - if you coat the ends with wax or latex paint, it slows the drying process down and you can actually work the timber.

BTW, Birch can be another beautiful wood for this purpose, so if you know of one going down, let me know.

Deadfall that hasn't been cut may also yield some usable pieces as long as the uncut/broken portion is at least 10' long.

I'm basically going to:
      1. cut blanks with the chainsaw,
      2. turn them on my lathe
      3. dry them in the microwave
      4. turn them again
      5. cut a facet for the tourney plate
      6. finish them.

I have some nice burl pieces that might work if I glue them up to other pieces, but a single, solid piece of tree, particularly if it came from a course (any downed maples at Milo???)

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
      Soon as possible because it is so prone to rot?

Durn, I had a large maple down last year and bucked it to firewood.

What size pieces are you looking for? Are you going to have it milled to lumber?

Comment

Some years ago I could have shown you bonanzas of big leaf maple burls and curly, or tiger, maple. I had a portable sawmill then, but the timber company wouldn't let us at those cull decks without posting a million dollars bond. It rotted. You'd never believe how much there was of it.
        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

That is really sad.

Oh well - I had an old length of cherry that a friend gave me when the tree died and I kicked out a couple prototype bases using my old home-built lathe, the oil stone my grandaddy gave me when I was 9 or so, some sandpaper and my teeth.

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
          Some years ago I could have shown you bonanzas of big leaf maple burls and curly, or tiger, maple. I had a portable sawmill then, but the timber company wouldn't let us at those cull decks without posting a million dollars bond. It rotted. You'd never believe how much there was of it.

Comment

Come out to the next Milo McIver Work Party in 2 weeks and you may just have the wood you are looking for.
            PDGA #25296
            Stumptown #34

Comment

If I have to get these done for the tourney (I think the one in question is on Memorial day weekend...wink wink) I better have the rough turning done before 2 weeks from now ;-)

However, that's an interesting question, the park lets the fine Stumptowners use a bevy of tools, but what about a chainsaw? If I could get in with a chainsaw and take choice blanks from dead fall trees, the trophy bases could approach the artistry and grace of the actual artwork!

Wouldn't it be cool to have the bases of the trophies come from dead-fall trees on the course?

I've also got some rose-root stock that came from rose bushes, grown within the city of Portland as well...perfect for the Rose City Open These are hard to come by as the rose bushes need to be at least 20 years old and semi-well attended...

However, to bolster your point, everyone reading this should hit the next Milo work party!

If I'm not spinning timber or plastic, I'm there - probably a little late...

Originally posted by Flash View Post
              Come out to the next Milo McIver Work Party in 2 weeks and you may just have the wood you are looking for.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
              Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X