X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulder turn to add distance

I had filmed myself take a few shots the other day and realized that I was not getting enough shoulder turn in my reach back to get my disc on a straight line while coming through my pull. This was creating a large inconsistancy in my accuracy because I was adding motion to put my disc back on plane. When I was at the field yesterday I was practicing getting a little more shoulder turn and my distance and accuracy(for the most part) had improved. When I was looking through Edge's pictures of the CSI a picture of Dion caught my eye and amazed me at the amount of shoulder turn he has during his reach back. We all know Dion throws FAR and I think that the amount of shoulder turn he produces helps with his amazing power.

The picture looks like hole 8 and his shot could be a 360 but for that hole a roller is more likely and the angle of the disc in the pic might be just that. I was looking for similar pictures of others with their weight and disc position in similar places and the lucky winner is Sean Phillips. Sean throws pretty freakin far himself but the reach back is not even close to as far as dions.

Just an insight I had and now that there are some visual aids I figured I would share my thoughts.
    More shoulder turn = more distance as long as you can stay under control and keep the disc on plane.
    I hope that dion and sean dont mind me using them as models to illustrate a point. If you dont mind I appreciate your unknowing help. If so I appolagise and I am sure a mod will delete the post.

Nice matching outfits by the way.
    Click here

Challenge disc golf

Great points with supporting evidence Chris.

I've said it before. MORE REACH BACK = MORE DISTANCE

When I'm messing around for distance (not too often) my reach back is more like Dion's. I see a lot of people that strugle for distance that don't have enough reach back. Grip type may have another big affect.

No problems with the pics. Dion and I always coordinate outfits.

Dion's not throwing a 360, he's throwing a roller.

Comment

GREAT POINT!!!. and i to have found this to be tru also. for me it was at steli on the 2nd of the big three.tring to work on my 360 degree drives.after reading dion's article in the disc golf mag about 360's. at one point in the article he speaks of " the amount of reach back". well once the pain went away from the thinking i was doing. i try'd enhancing the amount of pull back. and noticed the amount of shoulder turn that came with the throw. and i noticed that distance between my 360 drives and my enhanced back hands was not as far as i had thought they would have been. now the point of all this is to agree with you chris on the point of the shoulder turn. Great job on the attention to details.

Comment

Anyone have good footage of Dion Arlyn's form?

I found him doing some other stuff on YouTube, but not driving.

I've seen the 2009 USDGC distance competition but it doesn't seem that good for watching him.
        We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

What do they say about the pitcher when he loads up on a fastball?

"He reached back and got a little extra on that one."
          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

The trick is to not just reach back, but also to reach around.

Comment

I get my best throws with a full reach back guarantying good shoulder turn. On throws that I experiment with a bent elbow while still applying good shoulder turn my distance suffers. I've read that the acceleration should start when the disc crosses the chest so I'm wondering what makes the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                The trick is to not just reach back, but also to reach around.
                Are you saying you have reach around skills parks?
                Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Sure, next time I'm on the west side I'll show you.

Comment

nah, thanks though.
                    Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

He reached around and got a little extra!

Comment

I used to throw with little turn but massive acceleration coming across the chest. Always got good distance out of it. I started turning my shoulder further into me a few months ago and it made my accuracy suffer but the amount of speed and snap coming from it made me continue. Now it seems like I throw as far as before and as accurate but with way less effort to get it there.
                        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                        Cleveland Brown

Comment

For me (too decrepit to take any run-up, lest I hurt my back), the reach back seemed to be where all my meager distance is generated. When I max out my reach-back, I figure I'm accelerating the disc for about seven lineal feet without taking a step. And I'm only 5'8' (or at least I used to be). I do it all by bending my knees (first left, then right) and rotating my body from the hips up. If I could run up, I would, but I can't. So, do what works for you, and use the tools you have.

Comment

Originally posted by loocid
                            Lucky for me, or I'd have to start punching you in the rotator cuff again!
                            hey bob duck or bleed buddy

Comment

I thought I was in here for an argument, but it turns out, this is abuse.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X