X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
    I recently discovered a trend in my game that I think is worth noting. I seem to be throwing less and less molds/unique discs over the course of a tourney and using key discs more and more. Over the last two events (Trojan C Tier and Adair C Tier) I threw only 13 unique discs and 9 different molds. This includes every shot taken on the course (203 shots, 98 from Trojan, 105 from Adair, plus 4 penalty strokes that only effect score, not shots thrown). Here is a listing of what I threw, how many times, and what percent it is.

TROJAN:

Tee Shots
    ESP Predator | 25 | 69.4%
    Z Pink Force | 4 | 11.1%
    Reaper | 3 | 8.3%
    ESP Pulse | 2 | 5.6%
    Nebula | 1 | 2.8%
    Drone | 1 | 2.8%

2nd Shot
    Ringer | 33 | 91.7%
    Drone | 2 | 5.6%
    Pulse | 1 | 2.8%

3rd Shot
    Ringer | 24 | 100.0%

4th Shot
    Ringer | 2 | 100.0%

NON TEE
    Ringer | 59 | 95.2%
    Drone | 2 | 3.2%
    Pulse | 1 | 1.6%

TOTAL
    RINGER | 59 | 60.2%
    ESP PRED | 25 | 25.5%
    FORCE | 4 | 4.1%
    PULSE | 3 | 3.1%
    REAPER | 3 | 3.1%
    DRONE | 3 | 3.1%
    NEBULA | 1 | 1.0%

----------------------------

ADAIR

Tee Shots
    ESP Predator | 17 | 47.2%
    Z Drone | 2 | 5.6%
    Pink Z Force | 8 | 22.2%
    ESP Force | 6 | 16.7%
    Green Z Force | 2 | 5.6%
    Z Surge | 1 | 2.8%

2nd Shot
    Ringer | 20 | 55.6%
    Predator | 6 | 16.7%
    Drone | 7 | 19.4%
    XS | 1 | 2.8%
    Pulse | 1 | 2.8%
    Force | 1 | 2.8%

3rd Shot
    Ringer | 26 | 96.3%
    Drone | 1 | 3.7%

4th Shot
    Ringer | 6 | 100.0%

NON TEE
    Ringer | 52 | 75.4%
    Predator | 6 | 8.7%
    Drone | 8 | 11.6%
    XS | 1 | 1.4%
    Pulse | 1 | 1.4%
    Force | 1 | 1.4%

TOTAL
    RINGER | 52 | 49.5%
    ESP PRED | 23 | 21.9%
    FORCE | 17 | 16.2%
    DRONE | 10 | 9.5%
    XS | 1 | 1.0%
    PULSE | 1 | 1.0%
    SURGE | 1 | 1.0%

----------------------------

TOTAL

Tee Shots
    Predator | 42 | 58.3%
    Force | 20 | 27.8%
    Reaper | 3 | 4.2%
    Drone | 3 | 4.2%
    Pulse | 2 | 2.8%
    Nebula | 1 | 1.4%
    Surge | 1 | 1.4%

2nd Shot
    Ringer | 53 | 73.6%
    Drone | 9 | 12.5%
    Preadator | 7 | 9.7%
    Pulse | 1 | 1.4%
    XS | 1 | 1.4%
    Force | 1 | 1.4%

3rd Shot
    Ringer | 50 | 98.0%
    Drone | 1 | 2.0%

4th Shot
    Ringer | 8 | 100.0%

NON TEE
    Ringer | 111 | 84.7%
    Drone | 10 | 7.6%
    Predator | 7 | 5.3%
    Pulse | 2 | 1.5%
    XS | 1 | 0.8%
    Force | 1 | 0.8%

TOTAL
    RINGER | 111 | 54.7%
    PREDATOR | 48 | 23.6%
    FORCE | 21 | 10.3%
    DRONE | 13 | 6.4%
    REAPER | 3 | 1.5%
    PULSE | 4 | 2.0%
    NEBULA | 1 | 0.5%
    SURGE | 1 | 0.5%
    XS | 1 | 0.5%

Interesting to note that I threw 3 discs only once over nearly 200 shots, and two other molds less than five times! I really only used 4 molds (7 discs) for two entire tournaments! CSI is next weekend, from what I hear about the course I'll be needing to throw lots of different shots...we'll see!

So is that what it means when Pro's say: Keep it Simple?
    Can somebody translate this to innovatalk?
    lol

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
      Do you right it down what disc you use or do you just remember? I can't even remember my score let alone trying to remember what disc I threw on each shot!
      I just remember these things, always have had a good memory. Part of it comes down to visualizing the shots before they happen, its almost like watching footage, when I want to remember a particular shot, I just play back the footage...

For those who are doing this type of analyisis with their home course, I'd suggest trying it with your next tournament round, or at a course you don't play often. Naturally our disc selection might narrow to whats comfortable when we play something we haven't before.
      Team DISCRAFT
      NW Sign Up
      Gorilla Boy
      Paragon Disc Golf
      Odwalla

Comment

I've become rather adept at hole by hole memory once I started to record every round with hole scores on dgcoursereview, so I can look over what holes I need to work on, on certain courses.
        PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
        dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

So I went back and started thinking about how many times I actually use the non primary molds in my bag. After giving it some serious thought, I only use my Riot for the very occasional side arm and thumbers that I need to land upside down and my Cyclone for when I need straight bombs with no fade either left right. It boils down to about 6 percent of the time.

Thanks to Dion for making me look at my game in an entirely different light.
          "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
          Cleveland Brown

Comment

Real players memorize every throw they made and what disc they used on that hole; I could probably replay all 3 rounds at the Memorial down to detail; but might forget a shot or two on what disc I used. *just kidding on the "real players*... It's just some people have photographic memory and it works in this part of the game... But it helps to evaluate what disc you could have thrown for that situation and when preparing for tournaments, you can eliminate discs that you know you will throw less than 3 times and depend on a disc you will throw a lot to take up those throws that the "less than 3 throw disc" would have done. Less weight in your bag and more confidence in your hand. Only reason I have 2 teebirds is because I lost my go to teebird at fountain hills..

Comment

I figger any shot I forget can be subtracted from my score.
              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

That's where a Bogey Repair Kit can come in handy.
                Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                  Do you right it down what disc you use or do you just remember? I can't even remember my score let alone trying to remember what disc I threw on each shot!
                  My last round at seatac was last Thursday. It took me a few minutes to remember the round but once I started writing it down it all came back. I played two rounds that day and I'm sure I could remember each shot from the first round as well. I think it has to do with the thought process that goes into every shot. If you have a minute to think about your next shot then you should be able to remember how it turned out. It is easier to do when you are playing a course your familiar with but I'm sure if you tried to visualize a round you played earlier the same day you would be able to remember each shot and why you threw it.
                  Read this ^

Comment

It's easy to remember the disc you forgot to pick up (moroned) because it is missing from your bag. I sometimes find it hard to remember what hole it was though.

I've always had short term memory problems. Even at that, I bet I could remember, at the end of a round., most shots and what disc I used. I keep a running score in my mind, because it is still very easy to forget a stroke. Keeping the score can help me go back to the shot and recall it if I must. I'll usually remember the birdies and bogeys. It's the pars that run together, unless there was a heroic save. I still remember most of my best round ever, though it was about four years ago. When I think about it, I see discs that are long gone from my bag. Funny.
                    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

my first reaction to this thread was that y'all was crazy with too much time on your hands and taking the game much too seriously (decided tho, not to judge out loud and kept that opinion to myself)... however, now that i think about it, i can probably also remember every disc and every throw from my last round if i really tried... but, i don't think i'm gonna bother writing it down... just gonna sit here and stare blankly off into space... and no way am i gonna even try to figure out percentages... i'm no math major, i'm a disc golfer!

the visualization aspect of the process is probably also quite beneficial...

peace,
                      em
                      "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                      Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Here's my list for Downriver. This is for my past two games since I threw the exact same both times.

1.) Tee: Z Wasp Putt: D Focus
                        2.) Tee: ESP 1st Run Force Approach/Putt: D Ringer
                        3.) Tee: Z Wasp Putt: D Focus
                        4.) Tee: Opto Riot Approach/Putt: D Focus
                        5.) Tee: Champion Katana Approach: L.E. ESP Venom. Putt x2: D Ringer
                        6.) Tee: 1st Run ESP Nuke Putt: D Ringer
                        7.) Tee: 1st Run ESP Force Approach: ESP Cyclone Putt x2: D Ringer
                        8.) Tee: Z Buzzz Putt: D Focus
                        9.) Tee: 1st Run ESP Force Approach: D Ringer Putt x2: D Focus
                        10.) Tee: 2nd Run ESP Force Approach/Putt: D Ringer
                        11.) Tee: Z SS Avenger Putt: D Focus
                        12.) Tee: L.E. ESP Venom Putt x 2: D Focus.
                        13.) Tee: 1st Run ESP Force Putt: D Ringer
                        14.) Tee/Putt: D Focus
                        15.) Tee: Z SS Avenger Putt: D Ringer
                        16.) Tee: ESP SS Avenger Putt: D Focus
                        17.) Tee: 1st Run ESP Nuke Putt x2: D Ringer
                        18.) Tee: ESP Cyclone Putt: D Focus.

Pretty much could play with only 7 discs. Maybe I should try this for the DRO. Felt so nice not hulking around 20 discs.
                        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                        Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
                          I just remember these things, always have had a good memory. Part of it comes down to visualizing the shots before they happen, its almost like watching footage, when I want to remember a particular shot, I just play back the footage...
                          For me if I have played the course before I have the holes memorized even if I only played it once. I know what I what from the shot and how to get it. Then before my round I know what disc I will throw on which holes.

I think its more of a curse then a crutch as it takes up precious space in the cranium. If I could transfer the information better when it comes time to execute these shots I could throw less often. That would be nice.
                          PDGA #25296
                          Stumptown #34

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X