Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for first-time tournament players

Advice for first time tournament Players:
    SoÖ you are thinking of entering your first tournament. Well here are a few tips from one who has just competed in their first tournament.
    Shoes: wear what you normally wear. The shoes I was planning of wearing fell apart two days before the tournament and instead of wearing another pair of broken in shoes I wore a new pair that I had purchased only 4 days before, which is at least 9 days to short.
    Bag: I changed the strap on my bag to something I was not used to playing with in practice.
    Discs: Throw what you know. Even if you do not plan to throw them do not add new discs to your bag that you did not have in your bag during practice, the added weight of even one disc may throw off your game by couple of strokes. And, for the love of god do not throw a mold you have never thrown, tournaments are not a time to try new things.
    Food: eat the same amount of food you normally eat before and during a round.
    Drink: drink what you normally drink during a round. If you drink water stick to water, if you drink a sports drink stick with that.
    Warm-up: do the same routine you do before a practice round.
    Relax, have fun, and remember to play the same game you always play.
    Throw What You Know.
    "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
    PDGA# 45989

one big advice, go through the bag a few times before a tournament, make sure you have all the things you need like pain pills, water bottles, snacks, towels, pencil, mini etc.. then visualize the course, go through the bag, think what you definitely will use on each hole... if a hole later on could do fine repeating a disc you already put aside, use it and put away that one you thought you must have for that one hole; carrying around 3 discs for 3 particular holes while having other discs that could do almost the same thing is silly... especially at technical courses or courses that have almost all under 350-400 holes; i've seen some guys show up with like 10 LD drivers at a course like orangevale, delaveaga, and rocklin. Really you need maybe 4 LD drivers at most... ahhh you got me started heh... and shoes, always bring at least 2 shoes to any tournament... if you know it's gonna be wet, bring 3 or 4... and ofc goooood quality socks!

Comment

... and a tutu... never forget your tutu...
      "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
      Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

I would say don't freak out about things like foot faults, falling putts, etc. That is the stuff you should incorporate into practice rounds a week or two before the tourney date. That way when you actually play the tournament you don't spend you whole time worrying about things like foot placement, balance display etc. It should just be automatic.

Don't be afraid either to ask questions to your group or T.D. They are there to help and most people will be more then friendly if you have a question.

Don't throw a billion practice shots the day of. Don't go throw 4 rounds the day before. Maybe do a little field work, work on some putts. Keeping fresh for a tournament is more important I believe, then making sure you have every inch of the course memorized.

Also, disc selection. Know your discs. Know them well.
        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
        Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Uhlman View Post
          Bag: I changed the strap on my bag to something I was not used to playing with in practice.
          Discs: Throw what you know. Even if you do not plan to throw them do not add new discs to your bag that you did not have in your bag during practice, the added weight of even one disc may throw off your game by couple of strokes.
          I am curious, why are you throwing with your bag on? Is that something I don't know about tournaments? Or is this a weight thing that is possibly stressing your shoulders and back?
          Disc golf ruined my life.

Comment

Here you go, have a RULE BOOK and read it at least twice before you compete. Don't get rule stroked because someone else pretends to know the rules. Pull out the rule book and ask them to show you where the infraction is defined!

Also bring a good attitude, if someone calls you on an infraction and it is seconded then take it with a grain of salt. Play your shot take the warning or stroke and move on. The rules are there to promote even play for all competitors. Being called on an infraction is not a personal attack it just feels like it if you approach it defensively. If you feel it is malicious take it up with the TD at the end of the round don't let it eat at you mentally and ruin your rounds.
            PDGA #25296
            Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
              Here you go, have a RULE BOOK and read it at least twice before you compete. Don't get rule stroked because someone else pretends to know the rules. Pull out the rule book and ask them to show you where the infraction is defined!

Also bring a good attitude, if someone calls you on an infraction and it is seconded then take it with a grain of salt. Play your shot take the warning or stroke and move on. The rules are there to promote even play for all competitors. Being called on an infraction is not a personal attack it just feels like it if you approach it defensively. If you feel it is malicious take it up with the TD at the end of the round don't let it eat at you mentally and ruin your rounds.

Best answer yet!

Comment

I wish the pros that I play with who are tournament 500 would bring that with them...

I was so excited when I played my first PDGA tournament (in Grants Pass like 4 years ago) that I couldn't sleep the night before my first round.

Bring water... bring food... bring an umbrella...
                First thing you will notice is that tournament golf takes longer. You will get tired. That is what the food and water are for. Remember that you are there to have fun. And if you are one of those people who have fun when you are yelling and screaming and being pissed of my advice is that you should quit disc golf and take up mixed martial arts, it's the fastest growing sport in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by mrDROCK View Post
                  I am curious, why are you throwing with your bag on? Is that something I don't know about tournaments? Or is this a weight thing that is possibly stressing your shoulders and back?
                  Having more weight in your bag will make you more tired itís a simple as that... Honestly, who throws with their bag on?
                  Throw What You Know.
                  PDGA# 45989

Comment

Originally posted by frizbeerose View Post
                    ... and a tutu... never forget your tutu...
                    I knew I forgot something
                    Throw What You Know.
                    PDGA# 45989

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                      one big advice, go through the bag a few times before a tournament, make sure you have all the things you need like pain pills, water bottles, snacks, towels, pencil, mini etc.. then visualize the course, go through the bag, think what you definitely will use on each hole... if a hole later on could do fine repeating a disc you already put aside, use it and put away that one you thought you must have for that one hole; carrying around 3 discs for 3 particular holes while having other discs that could do almost the same thing is silly... especially at technical courses or courses that have almost all under 350-400 holes; i've seen some guys show up with like 10 LD drivers at a course like orangevale, delaveaga, and rocklin. Really you need maybe 4 LD drivers at most... ahhh you got me started heh... and shoes, always bring at least 2 shoes to any tournament... if you know it's gonna be wet, bring 3 or 4... and ofc goooood quality socks!
                      That 3rd shoe is important if you step in ....
                      A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Originally posted by Uhlman View Post
                        Having more weight in your bag will make you more tired itís a simple as that... Honestly, who throws with their bag on?
                        That's why I asked. Someone may throw with the bag on.
                        Disc golf ruined my life.

Comment

2 words: Fiber Optics

No seriously, I played DG for around 10 years before I played in a sanctioned event. My first tourney I told everyone in my group that I was a tourney noob. They were instrumental in helping me understand the differences in casual and tournament play. For me the big lessons were: Communication, Understanding Rules, and Being Sure to Have Fun.

Comment

Bring a couple mini's, a couple towels,plenty of water and throw only the disc's you know. Oh also bring extra socks too...

Comment

Originally posted by maynard View Post
                              Bring a couple minis...
                              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X