X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ace guidelines

I don't worry about aces as much as some people. Couldn't tell you how many i have from memory without trying to remember each one. I hadn't even written an ace on my discs for a few aces, until my recent most favorite ace of all time(until i top it). There has been some talk of what is considered an ace. I think a 1 is an ace. Doesn't matter how far it is, if it skips, or if it were a roller. A 1 is a 1.
    I myself don't write short aces on my discs. The majority of my aces have been skip aces because i aim at the bottom of the basket or try to skip under it. Can't say I ever intend to run a basket unless I am playing doubles. haven't had a roller ace yet, but best believe that rare accurance will be counted.

What do you think?
    What is an ace?
    How far does it have to be?
    Tone pole and objects, real aces?
    Do you write down every ace and know how many you have?
    Do you down play skips or rollers?
    What's yer deal?
    Click here

Challenge disc golf

I'll only count first shots that land in baskets during a complete round. (Some people would say "only during a round where you keep score," but I often don't keep score.) I don't usually play object courses, but I don't think I'd count tone-pole aces if I did.

Rollers definitely count; yeah, a roller ace is lucky, but then most aces are. And skips are even better, because a skip ace is a near-perfect shot that happens to find the basket. Same with high hyzers and tomahawks; if those don't go in, it's still an easy deuce. Whereas an ace that nails the center of the basket during level flight may look pretty, but in reality it's usually a bad shot that got very lucky.

I don't like to write on discs; I keep a list of aces (6 so far) in my profile at DGCR. Mine seem to have come in pairs.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I agree that as long as it goes in on your first throw, during a complete round (baskets or poles), it's an ace. Distance doesn't matter as long as it's on an established course (not permanent, just established, whatever that means).
      Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

In my mind there are three catagories of aces: Tournament Ace, Practice Round Ace, and Casual Ace.

Tournament Ace is during PDGA or Unsanctioned competetive play.

Practice Round Ace is when your first drive during a round that you are keeping score goes in.

Casual Ace is when you are messing around, throwing mulitple drives per hole, or just trying to get an ace for the fun of it.

I have 8 Tournament Aces (5 PDGA play)
        about 10-15 Practice Round aces
        about 15-20 Casual aces.

The only ones a really keep track of are PDGA aces these days.
        Team DISCRAFT
        NW Sign Up
        Gorilla Boy
        Paragon Disc Golf
        Odwalla

Comment

I agree a 1 is a 1. Talking skip-aces my friend got 11 red at white river, Auburn, WA today. I was thinking that if it stayed in the air it woulda gone in anyway. I have heard of a roller ace but never seen one. I think I'd "poop" myself if I saw one!!!!

Comment

Yup, an ace is a one. Some will certainly be worth more or less than others in some way. I don't have many holes I can reach for even a chance. I like downhill holes with a backstop for going for it. Having the first ace ever at Skyline (hard hitting steep fade into the the chains on #3) means something to me. Having any ace at Mud means a lot to me because it took me so many years to get it.
            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I think an ace is an ace. I don't get too excited about practice aces, unless it is at Whistlers Bend. Every ace at Whistlers is special! I saw a roller ace once. It was on hole 7 at Morley Field in San Diego. The disc hit a root about six feet from the basket and "hopped" right in. It was the coolest ace I have ever seen.

Comment

An ace is a pad to target shot.

If you're on a tone course, and hit the target, it's an ace, and the bitchin-ness of the ace is the only thing to debate.

Put it in in one shot and it's an ace, claim an ace cause you put your mini in the toilet of your uncle's RV from the passenger seat and you're on your own.
                Last edited by erp; March 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM.

Comment

When I did that perfectly executed Charlie Brown on the iced over pond this winter and fell out from under both my cap and glasses, and when I came out of the world of pain and could look around, and I found my glasses were folded neatly, lenses up, inside my upside-down cap, I took that as an ace.

Comment

Originally posted by erp View Post

.............., claim an ace cause you put your mini in the toilet of your uncle's RV from the passenger seat and you're on your own.
                    Thats a tough shot.
                    If the RV is sitting still, you can prop the door halfway open and make the carom shot, but if your rollin', with the door locked back, its a tough hyzer, especially with minis that want to anny.
                    I usually wait for hard right turns, that makes the banking more effective.

And always check for floaters before you throw.

Comment

Hmmm, was it witnessed?

I'd grant you that one, but you might want to make sure any witnesses tag the frames rather than the lenses.

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                      When I did that perfectly executed Charlie Brown on the iced over pond this winter and fell out from under both my cap and glasses, and when I came out of the world of pain and could look around, and I found my glasses were folded neatly, lenses up, inside my upside-down cap, I took that as an ace.

Comment

Originally posted by erp View Post
                        Hmmm, was it witnessed?
                        As a matter of fact, Sunrise was standing right there by the pond when it happened. Sadly, he's blind, but he heard it.

Comment

Either way, if he was to tag them in braille I'd still want it off the lenses...

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                          As a matter of fact, Sunrise was standing right there by the pond when it happened. Sadly, he's blind, but he heard it.

Comment

Honestly, having played for 6 years with 0 aces, they all pretty much impress me. If you feel it's an ace, I'm not going to argue.
                            PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                            dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Olmsted View Post
                              Honestly, having played for 6 years with 0 aces,
                              You will ace in the next month.
                              Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X