• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I could say I had a golf mentor. Still open to finding one though
    According to Mazza I have a sissy arm

Comment

Originally posted by DanD View Post
      I don't think someone can be your mentor if they choose the Dalai Lama over the IJ!
      hahaha! it works like this... she introduced me to enjoying friendly, positive competition and inspired me to throw farther farther farther... i introduced her to the blessings of the IJ... so she can still be my mentor...

peace,
      em
      "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
      Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Being remote and pretty much on my own most of the time, I guess I'd have to thank the interwebs for "tips for beginners." Like most things I've ever done, I learned by doing. But you know what they say about the self-taught? They have a fool for their teacher.

Though I only got to play a few rounds here with him, I'm just glad I got to meet the Madman. He was so obviously a gem, it didn't take long to know it. It feels good to know he loved this place. I get to remember him every time I play the 13th hole. I did a little work on that green just today.
        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Walk View Post
          Thanks to Sam for working the technical side and to J-Man for working the Zen side. Most importantly they are great friends. I do try and take what I can from everyone I play with.

The Zen side...cool...thanks man
          educate your thinking

Comment

Nate Sexton, Dave Feldberg and my Dad.
            Team Innova
            Team LSDiscs
            Team Stimpi
            Team Challenge
            Team Oly
            Team Fry
            2009 USDGC Washington State Representative
            PDGA #25541

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
              Good thread tom.
              Yeah it's been a good one huh. YAY ME!
              Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

A bunch of people you guys probably don't know but I'll list them up anyway. I've also violated the thread by posting mostly people who've taught me about everything but how to throw a disc

Kyle Maute - for getting me thinking seriously about strategy and placement over power
                Jay Bakula - great player and always had good advice for me as a young'un
                Tim Beron - nobody dg'er I've ever met is more selfless or works harder than this guy, an inspiration to be involved in making disc golf happen, not just playing
                Sheila Teves - for continually teaching me more and more about the sport
                PK - for being our bestest disc golf friend

Other notables: Pat Mullins, Ragnar Overby, John Biscoe, Mike & Cathy Kamm, Bill Gagnon, Gary Lewis
                'Weekend 4 Women':
                Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

I remember an older gent named Richard - Korean war vet that used to play days at Pier 5 years ago and always had a grabber and a bag for garbage.

Didn't learn much about golf from him, but I pick up crap on courses to this day.

More recently Tyler Christensen has helped me quite a bit by pointing out things that he learned from Dave Feldberg and letting me know that, yeah, Eric you do all that wrong too. The tips from the last month or so have me throwing backhands as far as I used to throw forehands without pain...

He's also fun to watch hitting 450+ foot drives and drilling 50' putts.

Mike Best has been a great source of understated tips over the years.

And as far as disc wisdom gleaned from elders, Jerry Miller and Ol' Bob have both imparted some unquantifiable wisdom upon me.

And finally, I'd like to thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for reaching out it's noodly appendage on four separate occasions and blasting the biscuit into the basket on my behalf.

Comment

I have mentors

I have to give props to those who mentored me:

The Lissaman brothers John and Jeff the twin brothers from OGLV. for their consistent great game.
                    Paul Harris for his happy 40 foot horeshoe putts
                    and teaching Scott Stokeley how to do it.
                    Scott Zimmerman for his EXCEPTIONAL abilities
                    Gary Gillman as inspiration
                    Stork for being himself (and having the BEST halloween costume ever)
                    Tim Selinski for being my friend
                    Tom Embree who I mentored even though he would not admit it. I hope you are laughing Tom!!!!! he still was a mentor....

Captian snap /Demi God...... Did I really say that?

Comment

Originally posted by erp View Post
                      And finally, I'd like to thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for reaching out it's noodly appendage on four separate occasions and blasting the biscuit into the basket on my behalf.
                      Such faith is a true inspiratation!

Comment

Heheheh - inspiratation or inspirritation?

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                        Such faith is a true inspiratation!

Comment

Wasn't it clear? I don't think I mispronunskiated anything.

Comment

I hate to admit it but Toby C has been a good mentor (most days) for me in teaching me how to step back and analyze my game. He has helped me push myself to become a better player which I can not thank him enough for.
                            "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
                            -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

In some ways I wish I had found a mentor when I started playing disc golf, I played solo at Pier park for about a year never really getting anywhere before I stumbled upon a flyer for Hab/Rec 2004, honestly just finding the amazing Portland disc golf community was in some ways my mentor, being able to get little tips and advice from so many different players was amazing. I'll throw a shout out to Jerry Miller for giving lots of advice over the years. I'll also throw a shout out to Ty Baker and the Rockwood winter series, having a fun event and series to look forward to every week in my first year of competitive disc golf really made me push my game out of the recreational realm into some I got really dedicated to.
                              Last edited by Joshua Olmsted; March 10th, 2010, 12:45 PM. Reason: grammer
                              PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                              dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

I would like to thank Carlo Pelg and Micah Dorius for helping me out when I was in my younger stages. Now, if I can just remember all the things they tried to teach me.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X