Tournament Director Compensation -- Public Accounting of Tournament Fees Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
    Of course you don't have a "right" to know. Not a natural right or an earned right or a right conferred to you by some authority. You have a "want" to know.

And I want Angie Dickinson to tongue my balls.

Angie Dickinson is 78 years old. Maybe 30 or 40 years ago, but I think I'd want someone a little younger.

Ok, I have to admit I'm a little fuzzy on the organizational hierarchy. When you put on an event, presumably you have a sanctioning body or a club to provide some liability relief and insurance. If it's a PDGA event, they provide the insurance. If not, who knows. But if an event is sanctioned by a club, most clubs are non-profit by definition, and if the money was going back to the club, then that would show up in their accounting. Policing of profiteering by non-profits is probably sketchy, but I'll bet there is some rule written somewhere that requires accounting of the funds collected, that might be construed to give me the right. And I'm not sure I really want to know. Putting on events is time consuming and we could give the TD all the money and they might not ever do it again. But I was surprised at the idea that this knowledge should be hidden.

Comment

Originally posted by cefire View Post
      I also wonder what can be done to provide incentives for TD's to run tournaments. As it stands, like Tim mentioned, TD's who take anything back for their hard work are shamed by players (99% of which contribute nothing to a tournament) which contributes to burnout.

Might be a bit controversial, but what about a mandated incentive from PDGA, even if it were a very small amount. For example TD's must take $50 for running a C-tier event - they can choose to donate back if they really want but something to destigmatize TD's getting something in return.
      I like this idea!

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
        What about local TD's? Those of us that run weekly doubles and monthly acepot tournaments and have to hear bitching and whining about something that someone doesn't like every week, what do you think would happen if I took out $5 or $10 from the payout for the day for the TD?
        Accounting at Terrace for Doubles is pretty transparent. $5 for Payouts, $1 for Ace Pot, $1 for course fund.

Do people bitch about the course fund? The only thing we are lacking there is accounting for the course fund after it has been accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by runnaman View Post
          This is just speculation, but what I've learned from my economics classes is, when there is more money to be made doing something, more people want to get in on it. Now, I know that we are not talking about a lot of money, but if it gets to the point where that is why people want to run tournaments, I think the quality of the tournaments will go down. I know that if you're not getting paid for something, and you do it anyway, you must have a real passion for that.

Hope that all made sense, just kind of threw it out there.
          I don't think that's true. If a TD were running a tournament to turn a profit, it stands to reason that he or she would want to run the best tournament possible in order to drum up interest and participation. A couple examples that come to mind are tournaments put on by Jeremy Rusco (Dynamic Discs) and Steve Dodge (Marshall Street/Prime Discs). Both those guys put on tournaments that many say are some of the best out there, and they're profiting from those tourneys--if not directly out of the fees, then at least through advertising and scrip for their stores. These guys are making a living from selling disc golf gear and running tournaments, and I for one, think that is more than commendable.

But anyways, for those that aren't making a living from disc golf, I think it's more than fair for them to have a little something back. Even if someone were to take $50 for running a C tier, that's often still operating at a loss if you are counting up the work it takes to run a quality event.
          Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDriver View Post
            Accounting at Terrace for Doubles is pretty transparent. $5 for Payouts, $1 for Ace Pot, $1 for course fund.

Do people bitch about the course fund? The only thing we are lacking there is accounting for the course fund after it has been accumulated.
            It's actually $3 to pay out, $1 to ace pot and $1 to course fund and starting this week, half of the course fund collection is going towards the basket fund for Bicentennial, but that's another story.
            Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

are people really that opposed to people being able to disc golf for a living? i hope some day that i can find a way to have disc golf be a productive part of my every day life... and that would mean that i would have to somehow profit from it... yes! i would charge people money for disc golf... and then i would put that money in my pocket to by my groceries and pay my bills... this is a huge pipe dream, of course, but i hope to someday be able to make it happen... all i want to do is disc golf... so that means i got to figure out some way to make it into a business, right? profiting from disc golf, so long as it is honest and above board, does not necessarily = evil, or so i believe.

... okay... i hesitate to post this... but here goes... now people can tell me what a horrible, capitalist piglet i am and why i'm ruining the sport...

peace threw disc golf,
              emmarose
              "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
              Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

I actually think the TD should show his books at a tournament. If he wants to keep $50 or $100, that's fine...just show it in the books. The reason I feel this way is that I have seen a couple of tournies where the TD walked away with a large percentage of everyone's entry fees and/or sponsorship fees instead of paying it out in scrip/cash. If a TD is making a few hundred dollars, something is wrong. I realize these two events were extremely rare and 95% of TDs would never run an event just to make money.

The best payment I have received for running a tourney is a sincere thank you. No wait...someone gave me a killer bottle of red wine after Aquafest last year...that kicked ass. I say start giving liquid gifts to the TDs!

Comment

We have Pro Players... Therefore it stands to reason that there Shoud be Pro TD's. or am I way off base?
                  Throw What You Know.
                  "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                  PDGA# 45989

Comment

Originally posted by frizbeerose View Post
                    are people really that opposed to people being able to disc golf for a living? i hope some day that i can find a way to have disc golf be a productive part of my every day life... and that would mean that i would have to somehow profit from it... yes! i would charge people money for disc golf... and then i would put that money in my pocket to by my groceries and pay my bills... this is a huge pipe dream, of course, but i hope to someday be able to make it happen... all i want to do is disc golf... so that means i got to figure out some way to make it into a business, right? profiting from disc golf, so long as it is honest and above board, does not necessarily = evil, or so i believe.

... okay... i hesitate to post this... but here goes... now people can tell me what a horrible, capitalist piglet i am and why i'm ruining the sport...

peace threw disc golf,
                    emmarose

to capitol piglets!!
                    A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                      Did it sound like I was saying that?
                      I dunno, did it sound like I said you were saying that?

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                      I was merely noting someone voicing an understanding of the prime reason for service. Actually, if that isn't the impetus, it probably isn't service anyway.
                      You may have lost me on that last statement. Care to explain that a little bit?
                      We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Originally posted by frizbeerose View Post
                        In another thread you say you're a commie pinko, now you say you're a capitalist piglet...

Can you just decide which one you are so I will know whether to hate you or not?
                        We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                          In another thread you say you're a commie pinko, now you say you're a capitalist piglet...

Can you just decide which one you are so I will know whether to hate you or not?
                          hahahaha!

...i'll never tell...

"i ain't no communist,
                          ain't no capitalist,
                          ain't no democrat
                          sure ain't no republican...

i only know one party,
                          and that is freedom..."

jackson browne

peace,
                          em

p.s. i know i wrote the lyrics wrong, but that's sorta kinda how it goes...
                          "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                          Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDriver View Post
                            I was at the Mystery Tournament in Fall City on Saturday and heard a conversation about keeping tournament fee accounting private. Apparently PDGA allows tour directors to charge a maximum of $100 for their services, for a tier C event. Higher events allow more money for the tour director. One fellow said "can you imagine the bitching if people knew that the TD was taking some of the money instead of putting into payouts? It's not like TDs don't do a lot of work and deserve the money, but people would scream." Well, it seems to me that we all should know where all the money goes. I don't begrudge a TD compensation for his work, but don't I have a right to know that he is taking some of the money and how much? I mean, if you pay attention to the payouts, you can kinda figure out how much they had left. Why not be above board on this issue?
                            Mystery tourney in Falls City??? Why didn't I hear about this? I would have gone and made my dad go. I am from Falls City and he still lives there and I keep telling him he would love disc.

Comment

I got no problem with the TD being paid. They work real hard. Especially if they are not playing. They are to busy running the thing.

Of course, I've also seen money issues pop up where too much money was paid out. That would come right out of the profits. The profits for the club running the tournament or the TD fund.

A TD should never lose their own money on a tournament. You all know some of them have to put their own money up front to reserve parks and such. Nothing wrong with using the profit from the last tournament to pay up for their next tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                                Care to explain that a little bit?
                                Go back to my first post in this thread.
                                The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X