Tournament Director Compensation -- Public Accounting of Tournament Fees Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow 3 years ago Players could have cared less about financial transparency. It warms my old heart too see they do now. Hooray! Reality, actually won one.

I can share that the INWS series has pretty reasonable guidelines about most all of these issues.
    The idea is not to nickle and dime the payout. Set limits for deductions for trophies, host fees (TD compensation if chosen) help ensure a very consistent series. In my opinion this is one area in years past the WA series has failed.

I bet most of you realize only a percentage of what really goes on to put even the most basic of events. From even deciding to be the TD, securing the venue, Taking registrations, eating your phone minutes, cards, signs, flyer's and we have not even outside yet. The maintenance of your equipment, the expense of fueling everything form your car to the gallons of mixed gas. The hours of work while other play around you. The blowhards who offer to help but no show.

Day before If it's not done by now it ain't getting done. Are you sold out or not? . try and keep all the money straight. This is entry, this is $10, these players renewed their memberships.

Oh, try and get some sleep

Now It's Day of the Show. Up butt crack EARLY!!! Punch list ( so you don't forget anything like your sleeping bag/air mattress) cause your punch drunk and head out. Get set up, signs out, Central up and the most popular question, What time do we start? Remember all the promotions I am offering, Meeting is over Everybody is actually on their way to their holes. Yeah it's finally started. I have two hrs to Actually get my shit together, crunch numbers for payout organize PP etc.

Here they come, What time is it? Can I offer an estimate of how long before next round starts?
    Time to check cards, post scores and organize afternoon hole assignments Great someone did not turn in their card(s). and i get a whole hour to do it. Players Pack are gone. Now their is a problem with a miss added card. Payout posted and their are already some grumbling. Remember to promote reindeer games and fundraisers

Back out they go. It's time to start breaking it down for the night.
    Here they come. Always first on site last off.

Go home and eat, repeat afternoon turn around, cards holes etc... Stuff your payout envelopes and once again try and really sleep this time.

Sunday Get up 30 min later then the day before, Pack up and head out. Set Up Central, promotions and fundraisers, Send them out.

Here they come, They are all anxious to get on the road home. Now we are under the gun, get the cards done while the promos continue, maybe ace pot throw off.

Awards.

Course drains like a bathtub while all evidence of the event remain. Signs back in, trash emptied. Central down. Pack up and go home.

Prediction, YOU will sleep tonight!

Monday I take off, Actually I don't by time I empty the car and such.

By Wednesday I have all the pDGA stuff in line, submitted and paid. Always use paypal for pDGA.

The bottom line is One person cannot do all of this without a sea of volunteers.
    I personally am blessed by the support I get and it's very much appreciated Not to mention MGP ( Mrs Grouchy Pants)*

Go to a well run event and you will always find this phenomenon.

*she earned this moniker because I run events
    rewindb.com

Comment

I think if you are going to run a tournament, you should do so because you want to grow the sport, not because of some monetary gain.

After running my first tournament on Saturday, I can honestly say that having people come up to me after the tournament to tell me, "Thanks for an awesome tournament" and "I had a lot of fun". That, in my opinion, is a lot cooler than getting a few bucks.
      Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

I want to hear how you feel after your 100th tournament.
        The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKIN JOE View Post
          I disagree. I believe people trying to profit from the sport is why we lose good T.D.'s. That's the main reason why I'm a non-profit club. For one, my books have to be open to the public. For two, in order to the sport to grow you have to give to it not take from it. There is not enough money involved to run it like a business. If you did the T.D. would make about .10 cents an hour for all the time they spend before and after a tournament. You would have to sell allot of discs, food, drinks, and other stuff to ever make a business from it. Even the P.G.A. don't pay anybody at there tournaments. It's all volunteer. It all goes to payout, administration. charity. You should want to do this to promote the sport not yourself. Open a store if you want to run a business. Unless you have a business licience you shouldn't be making money on other people anyway.
          You are right about growing the grassroots of the sport through donations and doing it out of the goodness of your heart and love for the sport. But In order for this sport to get the recognition it deserves, people need to be able to make a living at it. Either playing, merchandise, or running events. Even large sponsors need to see some kind of return on their investment.

I don't foresee a TD getting rich from running events, and $.10/hour is probably more than most currently make, but I feel we need to progress this sport beyond that.

Like I would make any money on the events I run (they are all fundraisers for courses or people), but my two business license' and my non profit would pretty much cover me legally.
          A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

I don't sse tournaments as grass roots. We are preaching to the choir!

Grass roots to me are clinics for kids. public awareness and the biggest one volunteering on other projects other than just DG.
            rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by runnaman View Post
              That, in my opinion, is a lot cooler than getting a few bucks.
              There will be a lot of people who won't grok that in any degree. If they had it in the first place, many aspects of today's society tend to train it out of them. We can only hope this changes. But it is, of course, a capitalist country. It trains consumers for the furtherance of the corporate state. We will always want more in order to consume more.

Keep that spirit of service.
              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I want to know what happened to JubJub and who is writing his posts?

Damn, Jub. Though there were a few errors in punk-shoe-way-shun and maybe a "their" for a "there," once, that post looked like you cared about it and you, my good man, are a writer! Good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                  There will be a lot of people who won't grok that in any degree. If they had it in the first place, many aspects of today's society tend to train it out of them. We can only hope this changes. But it is, of course, a capitalist country.
                  The other side of this coin is that if we only offer thanks for quality services, then we would be severely lacking quality services.

Appreciation is certainly a great form of payment, but that doesn't mean it should exclude other forms of payment.
                  We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

What about local TD's? Those of us that run weekly doubles and monthly acepot tournaments and have to hear bitching and whining about something that someone doesn't like every week, what do you think would happen if I took out $5 or $10 from the payout for the day for the TD?
                    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

This is just speculation, but what I've learned from my economics classes is, when there is more money to be made doing something, more people want to get in on it. Now, I know that we are not talking about a lot of money, but if it gets to the point where that is why people want to run tournaments, I think the quality of the tournaments will go down. I know that if you're not getting paid for something, and you do it anyway, you must have a real passion for that.

Hope that all made sense, just kind of threw it out there.
                      Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                        The other side of this coin is that if we only offer thanks for quality services, then we would be severely lacking quality services.
                        I think it has been pretty well illustrated that TDs will rarely receive monetary compensation equal to their efforts. Therefore, I think it's still a question of from where the quality arises.

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                        Appreciation is certainly a great form of payment, but that doesn't mean it should exclude other forms of payment.
                        Did it sound like I was saying that?

I was merely noting someone voicing an understanding of the prime reason for service. Actually, if that isn't the impetus, it probably isn't service anyway.

Comment

Silly Yeah it's exactly the same just more time committed.

You now what weeklies, monthlies, Handicapped focused and most certainly anything that encourages the ladies. (We need prop 8 in DG, bad. Disabilities Act too!) as grass root opportunities. So I want to amend my previous post and add the people who cater to or run these types of events. Should be encouraged/supported as grass root supporters.
                          rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                            Do you care how the park director, staff and officials divide the money collected for Little League, Peewee football, soccer or tennis tournies? How much the burger flipper at McDonald's gets from your purchase?
                            Yes, I absolutely cared. The reason I helped out with Little League and Boy Scouts was because the organization was benefiting my kid. I assumed that the money was going for necessary expenses, not to line someone's pocket. Now I recognize that the Boy Scouts have some paid staff, but they are not directly putting my money in their pocket.
                            Last edited by Scott; March 8th, 2010, 11:41 AM.

Comment

People who complain about how other people donate their time to put on a disc golf event need counseling. There are things that can be improved at every tournament or weekly doubles event. Obviously nothing is perfect. But to shit on someone who is volunteering a large chunk of their free time to put on a tournament for the benefit of other people is one of the most annoying things I have heard.

In my experience it's usually the people who are finding an excuse for playing poorly that have the most complaints.

We should all be thanking the TD's and volunteers at every event wether we would have done things differently or not. Without them our hobby time would be much less fun.
                              Read this ^

Comment

Yes, I absolutely cared. The reason I helped out with Little League and Boy Scouts was because the organization was benefiting my kid. I assumed that the money was going for necessary expenses, not to line someone's pocket.
                                The money goes to pay labor costs of the park director, staff and officials so most of those fees ARE in fact going to line people's pockets.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X