Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 California courses

Hi All,
    The girlfriend and I are going on a spring break roadtrip down south and I wanted to hit up several courses on our trip. We don't have an itinerary or any solid plans but we will probably make it as far south as LA, and maybe to the east side of the cascades.
    So, what are the 5 (or more) 'must play' courses in CA? We will be hitting up DelaVeaga and Golden gate park for sure, do these courses make it on to the list?
    Thanks for sharing.

I haven't played it myself, but I think most people would put Stafford Lake (near Novato) on any California "greatest hits" list.

If you're in Santa Cruz to play De La Veaga, be sure to check out Black Mouse in the redwoods above Felton. It wouldn't be a "Top 5" course to most people -- but it's fun and not far out of the way.

By the way, you may want to take US-101 down instead of I-5. That will put you near the Redwood Curtain in Arcata; Low Gap Park and the Lake Mendocino courses in Ukiah; Stafford Lake; and San Francisco. If you do go I-5 either north or southbound, UOB in Weed and the course in Anderson are worth a stop.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I enjoyed the 27 hole course at Waller Pines in Santa Maria.
      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Grassvalley!! I5 south to Sacramento, Then I80 east towards Reno, about 25 miles east take hwy 49 to Grassvalley/Auburn. Its supported by the local Rotary club. 18 holes all concrete t-pads plays up and down in the sierra-nevada mountains. Absolutely beautiful scenery and some killer golf to be had there!!
        Also the orangevale (OV) course. Just outside Sacramento in the burbs. Take the citrius heights exit off I80 east. Any local play-it-again stores can help with directions. I think a pro-shop was setup close by. Those are the peeps that showed me the game.

Comment

IMHO, just as a matter of course, I nearly always bail from I-5 to 199 in Grants Pass. It is especially handy when the Siskiyou Pass has snow. The pass beyond Cave Junction is only about 1700 feet. If this Spiritual Anarchist has a church, it is the Redwoods. They have me, coming and going. As much as I might love Mt. Shasta, I'm just too much of a tree hugger to miss the big trees.
          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

CA courses..

Yes, DeLa and Golden Gate park are a must. If you are in Northern California - Central Valley. I would recommend: Condon Park in Grass Valley. It is in the Foothills. If it is on the way, go to Shady Oaks - Orangevale Park....just outside of Sacramento. When I am in the SACTO area, I play Orangevale, Grass Valley, Rocklin, and Auburn Regional park. They are all in a 40 mile radius.
            There is also PENN VALLEY just outside grass valley..

Comment

If you make it all the way down to LA, I'd suggest cutting over to 101 and then to hwy 1 for the final stretch. Much nicer drive than 5.

This will also let you swing by Coyote Point at Lake Casitas near Ojai.

Comment

Do not miss Stafford Lake! - Some of the best throws on the west coast
                Redwood curtain is also a must play! - More board feet of lumber than any other course in the world!
                De La Vega is another must play.
                GGP is a nice track as well.
                Steer clear of Morley Field.
                I also found La Mirada a little bland
                "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

Stafford Lake is an absolute must play, I'd recommend it highly over Golden Gate park if you can only play one course in the Bay area, especially considering how crowded Gold Gate can get on a nice day. The other must play in my opinion is Lake Casitas near Ojai, both courses have spectacular natural landscapes mixed with some tremendous golf.
                  PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                  dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

Guys and Girls,
                    What an awesome forum. You guys rock.
                    Thanks for the tips, looks like stafford lake, golden gate, de la, grass valley, penn valley are all on the agenda. Can't wait. Now what about this proverbial california weather?
                    Peace oot.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayduke View Post
                      Guys and Girls,
                      What an awesome forum. You guys rock.
                      Thanks for the tips, looks like stafford lake, golden gate, de la, grass valley, penn valley are all on the agenda. Can't wait. Now what about this proverbial california weather?
                      Peace oot.
                      Here's the link to the Stafford Lake website for more info....

http://www.staffordlake.com/

enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by Hayduke View Post
                        Now what about this proverbial california weather?
                        All bets are off in an El Niņo year.
                        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

You can also search for "Stafford Lake" on YouTube.
                          You will find some pretty good videos of the course.

Comment

No one has mentioned Oak Grove in Pasadena. It's not a great course but it ain't bad either. It was the first DG course in the world with permanent baskets so there's a historical thing to it.
                            I'd also like to strongly second Joshua's Lake Casitas recommendation. It's pay to play ($8 the carload IIRC) but well worth it. Lots of elevation change, a couple of cool over the water shots, beautiful scenery, and you can camp there too.
                            I also liked the course at Weed. Some do, some don't. It's very handy to the freeway and features very creative uses of the OB rule.

Comment

Originally posted by barbikes View Post
                              No one has mentioned Oak Grove in Pasadena. It's not a great course but it ain't bad either. It was the first DG course in the world with permanent baskets so there's a historical thing to it.
                              Yes, Oak Grove (now called Hahamonga Park) is the 1st basketed course..BUT there are only a small handful of holes still existing from the original course. The really cool holes no longer exist, ie the spider hole, etc.

Still has historical significance, I suppose.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X