X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who throw long

There's a few long throwers on this board, so your knowledge would be really helpful for the rest of us noodle arms.

For those people on here that throw 450'+, what was the key thing (things?) that you worked on that put you over the top in terms of D?

What got you over that last plateau that many of the upper ams and lower pros get stuck at around 360-400 feet?
    We're at our best when it's from our hips

Hit the field, hit the field, hit the field. Slow your feet and stay balanced. Work on getting a good helix using both turns. Keep it simple and try to let the disc do the work. You can throw as hard as you can but if you arent putting all that energy behind your throw you are wasting it. Keep it to 75-80% power until you can feel all of your energy behind and through your throw. Figuring(and still figuring) out how to transfer my weight efficiently is what did it for me. And learning a wraith/destroyer inside and out. Pick a disc and get 3 of them and stick with them. Hit the field, hit the field, hit the field. Good luck.
    Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

I still think I need long distance lessons... my distance from round to round seems to be a roller coaster ride and those 400 days are long gone...

Comment

Undoubtedly field work is important, but field work with bad technique can limit things. I should know...I've been practicing bad technique for a long time! I know there's a lot wrong with my form, but one of the big issues I deal with is trying to strong arm the disc. Certainly, if I keep up with practicing the strong arming, I'll throw longer, but never achieve the potential I'd gain by throwing with true snap. (BTW, I'd hazard to bet that the majority of people who think they are throwing with snap in fact aren't.) I've been practicing now and then lately, trying to not put so much arm into it, and I've gotten some of my longest drives with less energy exerted (still need a LOT more practice though.)

It's like if you were practicing driving a car around a track, but staying in first gear, your lap times would surely keep improving, but you'd still be missing a huge part of the potential.
        Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

So, how do you get snap?
          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

me personally when i am going into my hit. i let the disc hang down just a bit. becuz when i go to pull thru the hit. my arm keeps up alot of speed witch brings the disc to the flat plane i need for my throw.if i hold the disc tight in my hand all the way thru my hit i will turn it over depending on my disc it may become a roller. i have throwin with a good amount of ppl from here. granted i'm not a pro. i can get some killer d for being an am. and its all thanks to "SNAPPING A TOWEL" the felling you get when you get the towel to snap back at is the feeling you want when u release your disc

Comment

pure arm is not the key. if you use your body more then you wont need to "strong arm it" THE KEY IS TEMPO. when in ball gofl the person thats hits the farthist is not the biggest strongest person on the course. but the one with the better rhythm. next time in the feild try this.

start by taking 1 step and then throw. next try doing a x step. and with every throw try to take more arm power out of each shot. u almost wanna have like 70% power from your arm. and more energy build up from your body

now i have throwin with some of you guys from here. and some of you have seen me hit over 400 ft. i like to think i'm a big arm but then again me thinking in the first place is the problem

Comment

Let me restate here my warnings to follow through. It was in my obsession to get some snap that I tensed some muscles at the end of a drive about three and a half years ago. What happened was that I completely ripped the anchoring tendons of a pectoral muscle from my sternum. The muscle became a lump in my armpit and my right side was black and blue from my lower ribs to my right elbow. My longest drive went from 320 to 270. I'm getting my longest drive back up to about 280. I sure wish I could undo that one mistake.
                The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                  So, how do you get snap?

well i got mine when i was working.....

i had a 10' stainless steel table and i could spin my disc down the table and make it come back to me without hitting the wall at the other end.

or take a golf towel/kitchen and work on making it pop/snap, just like you did when you were a kid at the local pool, trying to pop your buddy's legs...
                  "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

SNAP IS ALL IN THE WRIST.....
                    "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSZyYAVPbs

Watch this.
                      Team Innova
                      Team LSDiscs
                      Team Stimpi
                      Team Challenge
                      Team Oly
                      Team Fry
                      2009 USDGC Washington State Representative
                      PDGA #25541

Comment

I'm not the best at explaining things but basically the power you get to pull your arm through fast comes alot from your core/hips. To help get more snap, get your hips rotated more and when you "unravel" or rotate your hips, your upperbody will rotate towards where you are throwing which will add extra power to your arm.

At least this is where I think alot of my power comes from. I know many people that are stronger than me but I can outdrive them due to where my power comes from.
                        A par is not a bogey.

Comment

I was watching a friend of mine yesturday. On the bring back portion of his drive-rhbh- he curls his arm almost all the way around the disc. Kinda like a hug(?). His next step is planting his right foot, then he rotates at the hip and begins leading with his right elbow. As his arm begins to uncurl his left foot begins to drag in a semi-arc form. As his left foot slows his right arm is almost completely extended thats when the disc is released. So now I know to release my driver earlier in the drive instead of throwing a "kling-on". I have been puting too much power and not enough snap. I know because I was throwing my star roc and Z buzz within 5 feet of my drivers in distance.

Comment

My distance went from maybe hitting 400 sometimes to hitting 400 with little issues after playing a few practice rounds with feldberg last summer. I was showing him around our course before the tournament and about half way through the round he says 'you know you've got lots of power, but you've got very poor technique and you'll never throw farther than you just did.'. It was proabably about 375 and I was pretty excited about it at the time. Turns out what I was doing for the first few years was something he calls 'rounding'. Where instead of leading with my elbow I was swinging my whole arm around and cutting my elbow out of the throw. When really to have a good golf throw as I'm sure most people here know you need to lead with your shoulder and elbow first. Is this possibly what you're doing? Just a guess, because I didn't even know I was doing it until I was told I was. There's also the matter of the 'hit' that someone else mentioned. Dave teaches to use a towel to work on it too. But you're not really trying to snap the towel. The whole point to the towel is that you should be able mimic your full throw and in the space it takes the towel to travel from full extended reach back to where it crosses your shoulder it shouldn't really move. It should be hanging down straight. So you know that all your power is concentrated in that last split second after your elbow crosses your shoulder. I found at first it was really hard to do.

Since then I've been working on my pull and my hit. I'm still rounding a bit sometimes (breaking 2.5 years of bad habits has proved difficult) and I don't get my hit quite right all the time. That bein said I can average 400-425 on big throws with 390 being the lower end, and every now and then I can bomb it out to 475-490. The thing I notice most though, and I think someone else mentioned this, is that when it does get out to 475+ it feels effortless. Then there's the whole matter of getting my hop and pivot in to my step that needs work, I'm also finding rotating on my lead heel after the throw to be a challenge.

Here's a good video of Avery's 3 throws slowed down and you can really see what good techinique looks like.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSZyYAVPbs&sns=em

edit : in the time it took me to type that on my phone and actually you know 'work' (cause that's where I am) someone else posted the Avery video. Lol
                            My favourite putter is my driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad_from_BC View Post
                              ...something he calls 'rounding'. Where instead of leading with my elbow I was swinging my whole arm around and cutting my elbow out of the throw...
                              I just realized what my wife is doing wrong in her throw. Thanks!
                              Throw What You Know.
                              "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                              PDGA# 45989

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X