Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all those who have chimed in. Chad and Redfive, your stuff is really good info on how you got where you are, and gave me some ideas of stuff that I can work on.

Also, Chad, its funny that Feldberg told you that you're cutting your elbow out of your throw when he throws Swedish-style without much elbow.

As a side request, can someone please post a link to some Avery Jenkins slowmo drives?
    We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Distance? Really?

Originally posted by mazza View Post
      me personally when i am going into my hit. i let the disc hang down just a bit. becuz when i go to pull thru the hit. my arm keeps up alot of speed witch brings the disc to the flat plane i need for my throw.if i hold the disc tight in my hand all the way thru my hit i will turn it over depending on my disc it may become a roller. i have throwin with a good amount of ppl from here. granted i'm not a pro. i can get some killer d for being an am. and its all thanks to "SNAPPING A TOWEL" the felling you get when you get the towel to snap back at is the feeling you want when u release your disc
      Really RJ? I bet you couldnt throw 450 even if you had a big tail wind. I suppose throwing far starts in the head anyway. Keep up the good work.

Comment

My #1 tip for more distance is:

Extend your back swing. (further reach back)

Look at Avery's BH drive, his arm is straight and fully extended at the peak of his back swing. This give you're arm more time to accelerate.

Usually when I tell people this they reply with; If I reach back farther my accuracy goes down the drain. Unfortunately that's the trade off. Like other's have said, hit the field, hit the field, hit the field.

Timing is very important as well. If you don't have your timing down extending your back swing will probably screw up your timing even worse.

Comment

Great Stuff...

I would add that if you really want to thrown like the big guns you need to be willing to take a step back to step forward.

In a lot of cases the people I see who are stuck distance wise have large motor problems in their swing...

When I went to AM worlds (and did pretty well) I went to a workshop with a bunch of Innova Pros... I discovered that I had a hop in my footwork that wasn't serving me. It took a whole winter and a lot of field work but now if I'm not throwing a roller I throw with a three step swing (easy for me because I am tall and get most of my D from long levers and a strong core.)

The point is not that you should throw a three step swing (though that is also a good idea). The point is that you have to be willing to be wrong and make adjustments that are uncomfortable and may at first seem to be hurting your game.

Power does not come from strength. Power comes from tempo, form and acceleration all the way through the swing.

See also:
          Elbow extension
          Straight arm reach back (a misnomer)
          Throwing flippy plastic
          Controlling release angle
          Throwing flat
          Practice
          BALANCE
          Follow through

Comment

About reach back...

I agree with Sean that the more reach back you have the better but try this...

Instead of "reaching" back, i.e. starting your disc on the same plane you throw at and pushing it backward as you start you throw try starting with your arm at rest in front of you and then as you finish your X step and plant to throw let your throwing hand swing up into position already fully extended. This will help to relax your upper body and allow you to get more whip and will naturally put your arm into a comfortably extended reach back.

The principle here is that the power you get from reach back is not in your arm but in shoulder and hip turn.

I hope that all makes sense

Comment

There's two links to Avery's drive slo mo in this thread. I have one at the bottom of my big post.

I will say I disagree with whomever said Dave doesn't pull with elbow. He most certainly does. He did an instructional DVD with Climo. If you watch it there's an overhead slomo shot of his drive where you can clearly see his shoulder rotation pulling his elbow in to his body and pulling it through. There's a lot of great players with great throws out there , but I really do beleive Dave has the perfect throw.
              My favourite putter is my driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad_from_BC View Post
                There's two links to Avery's drive slo mo in this thread. I have one at the bottom of my big post.
                Whoosh!

Originally posted by Chad_from_BC View Post
                I will say I disagree with whomever said Dave doesn't pull with elbow. He most certainly does. He did an instructional DVD with Climo. If you watch it there's an overhead slomo shot of his drive where you can clearly see his shoulder rotation pulling his elbow in to his body and pulling it through. There's a lot of great players with great throws out there , but I really do beleive Dave has the perfect throw.
                Well, its impossible to throw long without any elbow, but Dave uses the Swedish leverage style that doesn't have the big elbow lead like Avery's drive.

Check out the slo-mo drives of Feldberg on this page. http://thedridge.com/disc_golf.html

Comment

We've got this hole on our big course that's 780 feet from the pro pad. It's on a right to left side slope too so it plays a little longer even. There's a fairly nasty gully straight accross the fairway at about 440 on one side, with the other side being about 15 feet higher in elevation and ending at about 485. I was showing Dave the course a few days ahead of the tourney. He stepped up and hyzer flipped a destroyer easily clearing the gully by about 75 feet. It looked effortless. It was the first time I'd ever seen a throw like that in real life. It blew my mind, and I still remember it like it was last week.
                  My favourite putter is my driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                    Check out the slo-mo drives of Feldberg on this page. http://thedridge.com/disc_golf.html
                    That's a good video. Plus it had a link to the putting clinic video I have been hearing about lately. He gives credit to Lowell Shields at about 44 minutes in for inventing a putting style. Then he gets hit in the head by a disc at about 48 minutes in.
                    Read this ^

Comment

The footage is good, but its too much slo-mo. I definitely like seeing the shot at normal speed then a slow motion breakdown.

Comment

Originally posted by DMAILMAN View Post
                        Really RJ? I bet you couldnt throw 450 even if you had a big tail wind. I suppose throwing far starts in the head anyway. Keep up the good work.
                        yeah ok there mr. dean. like you play with me every day. and the 450 mark was set on the ball course right next to steli on x mas day. and the at the winter fury at sumner i hit over 450 again( but that was done with a 360 drive)

Comment

Originally posted by DexterHawk View Post
                          Instead of "reaching" back, i.e. starting your disc on the same plane you throw at and pushing it backward as you start you throw try starting with your arm at rest in front of you and then as you finish your X step and plant to throw let your throwing hand swing up into position already fully extended. This will help to relax your upper body and allow you to get more whip and will naturally put your arm into a comfortably extended reach back.
                          This is really, really, really good advice. It sets up the feel for the timing as well as letting you whip.

I've fixed this recently (letting the hips turn the upper body through the x-step, reach back, and pull) and it gave me back a lot of distance that I lost. I had been throwing really long (for me) in the late summer and fall, and occasionally in the winter, and it was because I was unintentionally doing this. I was focusing on keeping my shoulders relaxed, which caused me to sometimes relax my upper body.

Now that I come back and see your post, it sparked exactly what you were saying. Kinda stupid how a lot of this stuff only makes perfect sense retroactively

Comment

Wanted: 300'

Currently I am sitting between 200' and 225' my goal this year it to hit 300' accurately (meaning with in 33’ of the pin). Standing I hit 200’ and with the X-step I hit 225’. I recently broke down my throw and found that the issue for me is in my footwork. Which doesn’t surprise me because my right leg from about the knee down doesn’t work right because of a brain injury. I am wondering if anyone out there knows of or where I can find footwork exercises, short of just doing a Google search.
                            Throw What You Know.
                            "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                            PDGA# 45989

Comment

We used to do this thing in track called the dot drill. I'll try to find a link of it. I'm possitive it helped me with my footwork.

Here it is:

Here
                              Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

Originally posted by runnaman View Post
                                We used to do this thing in track called the dot drill. I'll try to find a link of it. I'm possitive it helped me with my footwork.

Here it is:

Here
                                I forgot about that drill... I had an insane hurdles coach (is there any other kind) that would make us do this after our conditioning workouts. Which is proably why I forgot about this drill.
                                Throw What You Know.
                                "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                                PDGA# 45989

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X