X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help-I want to hold a tournament

So i am from the University of Oregon Disc Golf Club and a few of us live in portland so we want to host at least 1 fund raising tournament up in this area this summer.
    so for our current tournaments, UO club sports does not let us pay out cash, so we stick to prizes donated by businesses and stuff like that

Since technically this summer we are not in school, so it wont be the University of Oregon Disc Golf Club hosting the tournament, but rather myself and another club member hosting it with proceeds going the University of Oregon Disc Golf Club.

With that said:
    I was wondering what an ideal standard would be of how much of each entry fee should go directly to the UofO club and how much goes to payout?
    half and half?
    or what?

Also, how many people in each division get paid out?
    top 1/3rd? top 1/4? etc
    and of those who get paid out...how much are they expecting to get paid out?
    are they all expecting to get their entry fee back?
    or what?

Any help would be great
    Thanks!

Originally posted by whslaxplayer11 View Post
    So i am from the University of Oregon Disc Golf Club and a few of us live in portland so we want to host at least 1 fund raising tournament up in this area this summer.
    so for our current tournaments, UO club sports does not let us pay out cash, so we stick to prizes donated by businesses and stuff like that

Since technically this summer we are not in school, so it wont be the University of Oregon Disc Golf Club hosting the tournament, but rather myself and another club member hosting it with proceeds going the University of Oregon Disc Golf Club.

With that said:
    I was wondering what an ideal standard would be of how much of each entry fee should go directly to the UofO club and how much goes to payout?
    half and half?
    or what?

Also, how many people in each division get paid out?
    top 1/3rd? top 1/4? etc
    and of those who get paid out...how much are they expecting to get paid out?
    are they all expecting to get their entry fee back?
    or what?

Any help would be great
    Thanks!
    For a casual fundraiser, I think $20 entry with half going to payout works well.
    People will be more forgiving of smaller payouts if you are upfront about the fact that you are raising money for your club. Payout top 40-50% for am divisions, less for pros.

Comment

I would say it all depends on the size of the event(s) you would like to run. If it is going to be say a few one day events than a low entry fee with $5 going to the club would be good. ex: $20 entry and $5 to the club.

If you are looking to really make a large impact for the club I would suggest putting together a larger PDGA event. A tradition the club could develop during the summer break. A Two Day event at one of Portlands Premier Courses would also draw in many more players from within our region.

The UofO Club could take a flat $10 fee from each player if it was well known as a fund-raising event. Proceeds from amateur payouts, sponsorships and disc sales at the event would also benefit the club greatly.

Events of this size take a large effort from individuals and the club as a whole to develop. I have great confidence that the UofO Club is up to the challenge.
      Disc Golf Accessories

Comment

I'm directing a tournament now, I'm going to payout top 40% with half and half division.

If you would like to work with me, I was going to have a tournament this summer too. We could put our efforts together and have some super duper tournaments.
        Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

I played a fundraiser event in Port Angeles, and they had what I thought to be a good idea. The entry was $15, the pro division payed an extra $10. Half of all the entry fee's went to the club, and the Pro's competed for the $10 per person cash. This was held to buy baskets for the course.

I have ran a few different fundraiser events here in Oly, I find the best results (most Money, most fun) come when people know exactly what their donation is going to buy.
          A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Sound advice, from Mr. Olydiscgolf, I would say. His fundraisers kick ass.
            The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

alright thanks everybody

Comment

Personally, I attend the Duck Chucks that I can because . . . (are you ready?) . . . I KNOW THAT MY MONEY IS GOING TO THE U OF O DISC GOLF CLUB . . .

I also try and attend every SOJ event during the summer because the proceeds always go to a good cause . . . the SOJ entry fees are $20, half of which goes to pre-chosen organization or charity, and the other half goes to payout (I think top 30-40%)

My point is, as mentioned several times above . . . we the disc golfers that support the growth and promotion of the sport love to attend these events for that purpose . . . schedule the fundraiser, they will come . . .

-Derek

www.DiscGolfOregon.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X