Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...dies.html?pg=1

I've got a course I can actually see from work (it's painful when it's busy and I just want to golf lol). Maybe I'll toss a few on my lunch break today. Hey, I'm the boss I can take a long lunch.
    My favourite putter is my driver.

Comment

It's weird that news like that doesn't make more of a headline considering his inventions impact upon the worlds free time.

R.I.P.
      "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
      Cleveland Brown

Comment

That's a shame he's dead. Really though, disc flight was an already common physical concept, and he wasn't the only one tossing around food lids for fun. We would still have disc golf today, just someone else would have invented the frisbee first.

That doesn't change the fact that he did do it, and considering what disc golf & ultimate are today, I salute him as the guy who more or less started us on the path. Thanks, Fred!

I wonder if he was hard-core enough to want his ashes molded into a few lids like Steady Ed...
        The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
          It's weird that news like that doesn't make more of a headline considering his inventions impact upon the worlds free time.

R.I.P.
          give it time. a man like this should be honored and he should have his own chapter in the annals history.

this is another big blow to the Frisbee hucking family that we have come to love.

may your soul play the awesome big basket in the sky

Comment

Talk about ultimate!
            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
              Really though, disc flight was an already common physical concept, and he wasn't the only one tossing around food lids for fun. We would still have disc golf today, just someone else would have invented the frisbee first.
              Maybe, maybe not. I assume that he met Steady Ed while working at Wham-o. Was it their friendship that inspired Steady Ed to create the first basket and disc golf in general?

I have no doubt that people would still be hukkin' discs-like objects. Would the sport have evolved to what it is today without him? Hard to say.

Comment

I wonder if he was hard-core enough to want his ashes molded into a few lids like Steady Ed...
                my friend wes has one of those discs on his wall. Pretty awesome to think what you're holding in your hands. I keep telling him it should be in his bag, but he's too scared to damage/lose it.

Comment

Well, I just think any frisbee flight in general would have led to disc golf eventually. These guys were the right place/right time people of frisbee history. Ever since time began, the physics of disc flight was just waiting for an opposable-thumb species to stumble across it. See the following scientific diagram (not dyed by me):

The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

I think someone I know has that on a sticker on their stool leg.

Comment

I think ChUcK's right. I once had a big stack of pan lids that I'd throw from a low cliff out over a tide flat when the tide was out. I'd go down and collect them, climb back up and do it again. They were almost all overstable, but some worked pretty good. Admittedly, Frisbees were already around, but I'd have done it anyway, I'm sure.
                      The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                      ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/8512193.stm

great disc there ChUcK, I have a similar sticker, but the stick guy in yours makes it better.
                        Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude, 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post

R.I.P.
                          They recognized him on Sports Center today with a 20 second bit. It was a pretty quick and simple recognization.
                          A par is not a bogey.

Comment

News is everywhere

This was posted on my beer forum:

It is a sad day for disc-golf (and beer by association). Fred Morrison, the inventor of the Wham-O Flying Disc has passed.

http://www.zimbio.com/Fred+Morrison/...ventor+Dead+90

Ah, all the wonderful times I had through my childhood through today with his product and its offspring. Still carry a Frisbee in the truck with me wherever I go (along with my disc-golf discs).

Raise a pint to Fred tonight (or earlier) and reflect on all the wonderful things his little disc has brought to your life.

Comment

It's of-topic, but do you think Keith Richards is going to have his ashes shipped to Columbia and mixed in with the powder he loves so much?

That's a shame he's dead. Really though, disc flight was an already common physical concept, and he wasn't the only one tossing around food lids for fun. We would still have disc golf today, just someone else would have invented the frisbee first.

That doesn't change the fact that he did do it, and considering what disc golf & ultimate are today, I salute him as the guy who more or less started us on the path. Thanks, Fred!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X