X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range Finders

Anyone have any experience with range finders? I'd like to buy one for measuring drives in a field and distance to target measurement. There seem to be a lot of choices out there with a huge price range. I don't want to spend more than $250. Anyone have recommendations on brands, features, min/max distance, etc?
    Current World Rank: 2857th
    Lowest Rated Round: 777
    Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
    Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
    Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
    Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
    Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
    Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

I think for $250 you can get a pretty decent one. I'd be worried that a wire disc golf basket might not reflect very well though.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

They use them in ball golf, I would think if it can read off of a narrow pin in ball golf that it would work on somewhere on a basket.

Comment

Yes, I suppose that's true (unless they use the flag). I just remember hearing that if you really wanted to measure course distances with a range finder, your best bet was to have a friend with a white t-shirt stand next to the thing you want to measure (basket, dogleg, etc.).
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
          Yes, I suppose that's true (unless they use the flag). I just remember hearing that if you really wanted to measure course distances with a range finder, your best bet was to have a friend with a white t-shirt stand next to the thing you want to measure (basket, dogleg, etc.).
          I could live with that if I couldn't get a read off the basket or pole. My primary concern is to aid in field work.

Comment

Originally posted by keys View Post
            I could live with that if I couldn't get a read off the basket or pole. My primary concern is to aid in field work.
            Of course, field work is easiest with a friend anyway; they can shag your discs for you!
            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
              Of course, field work is easiest with a friend anyway; they can shag your discs for you!
              Very true.

I need to go down to Woodburn for work today. I might just stop by Fry's and do a little sniffin around.

Comment

What about the rolling survey foot markers?
                Read this ^

Comment

Originally posted by DMajor View Post
                  What about the rolling survey foot markers?
                  I feel they are inaccurate over non smooth terrain. I also don't want to make the walk for each measurement.

Comment

Dave Heider jsut got one

My buddy Shauns uncle just bought one and had it out on the course Sunday. pretty easy to get it to bounce off the center pole of the basket, my only compliant would be that everything is in yards, you might want to check into availablity of units in feet. I am very good at math, but it is still a pain in the arse to multiply everything by 3. Im just saying.
                    Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Comment

Get a metric one. It's much easier to multiply by 3.28084.
                      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Bushnell Yardage Pro 450 or 500 models are under $175. You'll find those used by many course designers and also for Distance competitions in Overall events. Acuurate to +/- 1 yard out to 450 yards and it also can be set to read meters.

Comment

450 YARDS?! Holy cow!

But what am I going to do with the other half of the distance covered by my throw?
                          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                            Bushnell Yardage Pro 450 or 500 models are under $175. You'll find those used by many course designers and also for Distance competitions in Overall events. Acuurate to +/- 1 yard out to 450 yards and it also can be set to read meters.

Thanks Chuck, I'll take a look.

Fry's doesn't seem to carry range finders. I thought I had seem them there a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by keys View Post
                              Fry's doesn't seem to carry range finders. I thought I had seem them there a few years ago.
                              You might check a place that has hunting and/or golf stuff. I know Wholesale Sports (formerly Sportsman's Warehouse) has them, or used to.
                              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X