Rules question - lost & re-found discs Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rules question - lost & re-found discs

    This comes up now and then with the courses we play and has lead to a few disagreements. If a disc is declared lost and then found I know that the there is a penalty stroke to the player who lost the disc. If that disc is found even seconds after declaring it lost I know the penalty stands. Now my question is once that disc is found can it go back in your bag and be thrown again or is it out of your bag until the current round is over? The lost disc rules don't address this but I know you're not allowed to add stuff to your bag that you didn't start the round with. Then again you did start the round with the disc before you lost it, removing it in the process. Anyone know the official rules on this.
    My favourite putter is my driver.

  • #2
    I'm pretty sure anything that starts in your bag is fine to go back in your bag after it is declared lost but I don't know what specific rule addresses the question
    Read this ^

    Comment


    • #3
      It's a little unclear for sure.
      My favourite putter is my driver.

      Comment


      • #4
        It can go back in your bag.

        Also, I'm not familiar with the rule that state you cannot add anything to your bag once the round starts. I'll have to look for it.

        Comment


        • #5
          discs added to bag

          In disc golf you CAN add discs to your bag during the round. You could buy a new disc at tourney central during the round and use it. Putting the rediscovered lost disc in your bag is no problem. The disc you throw needs to be uniquely (recognizably) marked in ink so you could even throw a disc from someone else's bag if they'll let you. Take a closer look at the rule book and see if you disagree with me...
          pdga Rule Book

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ericedge View Post
            In disc golf you CAN add discs to your bag during the round. You could buy a new disc at tourney central during the round and use it. Putting the rediscovered lost disc in your bag is no problem. The disc you throw needs to be uniquely (recognizably) marked in ink so you could even throw a disc from someone else's bag if they'll let you. Take a closer look at the rule book and see if you disagree with me...
            pdga Rule Book
            Edge is correct. It's a common misunderstanding I've heard about not adding discs to your bag once the round starts. I believe there's a rule in ball golf along those lines...you can only carry a certain number of clubs, and you have to use what you started with. I think people assume it carries over to disc golf.

            You can add as many discs to your bag as you want, at any time. Heck, they don't even have to be YOUR discs. If you lose your money 10 M Brick during a round, and your buddy is like "Hey, I've got like 5 backups of those in my bag. Here you can borrow one of mine," that would be totally legit.
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

            Comment


            • #7
              You know after you guys say that I don't recall seeing it either. I've just been told numberous times that that's the case. Awesome.

              Last year I threw a drive on a hole. Well we get up to the spot we thought it was, looked and declared lost. I go back to the pad and throw another one. I get down to the green area and say 'it went very close to where the first one went. We go over and it's litterally ON the first one in some thick grass 5 feet from the basket. This is a tough birdy hole that I pretty much birdied twice lol. Anyways the disc stayed out of my bag till the end of the round and I really wanted to throw it on a few holes. This was a pdga event too. Now I know you can put stuff back in and even add to your bag if you're near your car etc.


              Also, lol at 5 spare 10m bricks. I might actually order a 10m brick this year. We play a course in our local series built on a nasty hill where 40-50 foot roll outs on missed putts is not uncommon on about 6-7 holes.
              My favourite putter is my driver.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Chad_from_BC View Post
                You know after you guys say that I don't recall seeing it either. I've just been told numberous times that that's the case. Awesome.

                Last year I threw a drive on a hole. Well we get up to the spot we thought it was, looked and declared lost. I go back to the pad and throw another one. I get down to the green area and say 'it went very close to where the first one went. We go over and it's litterally ON the first one in some thick grass 5 feet from the basket. This is a tough birdy hole that I pretty much birdied twice lol. Anyways the disc stayed out of my bag till the end of the round and I really wanted to throw it on a few holes. This was a pdga event too. Now I know you can put stuff back in and even add to your bag if you're near your car etc.

                There are some pretty valuable lessons here.

                1) Know the rules.
                2) Don't assume that the people you are playing against know the rules.
                3) Carry a rulebook in your bag
                4) If someone tries to convince you of a rule that you are unsure of, don't take their word for it. Pull out the rule book and have them show you. Alternatively, throw a provisional shot (doesn't really apply to the non-rule about not being able to add a disc to your bag) and ask a rules official after the round.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yeah. My rule book was at home at the time.
                  My favourite putter is my driver.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong.
                    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                    ...but it plays one on TV.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                      We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong.
                      Throw What You Know.
                      "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                      PDGA# 45989

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I played the crystal mountain tournament this summer and left a drive sitting just off the fairway. Didn't lose it just forgot about it. The next day during the tournament round I threw my drive near the same spot and a guy in my group found the disc I left the day before and told me I couldn't use it because it didn't start in my bag. I had never heard this rule before but no one else in my group knew either way so I took his word for it. Had a crappy tournament so it didn't cost me much maybe one inconsequential stroke but I will have a talk with that guy....
                        Read this ^

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                          We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong.
                          Lol. Exactly. I used to work at a ball golf course and we had free green fees and cart rentals. I goofed nearly every day, and was actually getting quite good by the time I left. That ended my ball golf career in it's tracks cause I wasn't to pay 80$ a round. A few years later I started golfing for real and my clubs have a massive layer of dust on them now.
                          My favourite putter is my driver.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Chad_from_BC View Post
                            This comes up now and then with the courses we play and has lead to a few disagreements. If a disc is declared lost and then found I know that the there is a penalty stroke to the player who lost the disc. If that disc is found even seconds after declaring it lost I know the penalty stands. Now my question is once that disc is found can it go back in your bag and be thrown again or is it out of your bag until the current round is over? The lost disc rules don't address this but I know you're not allowed to add stuff to your bag that you didn't start the round with. Then again you did start the round with the disc before you lost it, removing it in the process. Anyone know the official rules on this.
                            Is this in a tournament? If yes, ask a marshal. If no, why would you want to get so worked up over a casual round?
                            educate your thinking

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              it was a tourney yes, but we were at least a 7-8 minute walk from the TD and it just wasn't worth it to argue the point. It was the last tourney I played in though at the tail end of the year last year so I haven't really thought about it since.
                              My favourite putter is my driver.

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X