Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique goals/challenges for a hole. (Course Design)

I've been tasked to create a "family-friendly" 9-hole disc golf course for a local school. Their grounds has a lot of potential for a good mix of holes: long, short, hyzer, anhyzer, straight, etc.

However, I was considering having 2 holes of the 9 be a "unique disc challenge" type of a situation instead of having yet another drive, layup, putt type hole.

Let me share some examples of what I may be thinking:
    Throw your disc THROUGH the 2ft diameter ring that's 75ft away, suspended between two large trees. PAR 2

Shoot your disc like a basketball free throw through the basketball hoop mounted to the tree. PAR1

Shoot your disc through a "Y" in the trees, like a field goal in football.

Hit "the hanging bell" as a target. (basically a unique tone pole option)

Keep in mind, this is a student/family-friendly course, so it won't be a huge draw for all the local disc golf "professionals". They have 2 excellent courses nearby to challenge their arm at.

I'm curious if you've seen any courses with this type of a hole integrated. If so, where? what was your experience? pictures? links?

Any other ideas for creative type target options?

well havent seen heard of holes like that but the course in cathlamit has 3 suspended baskets which is cool just a though or idea for you
    PDGA # 31451
    2 Mini Aces
    74 Aces
    PEOPLE WHO HELP ME LOTS IN DISC GOLF
    DISC GOLF OR DIE
    BOB CABAL
    DISCVANGO
    JEFF ELLIOT
    G-MAN
    JORDAN LEWIS
    JEFF HAGERTY
    JAMES GARCELON
    SAM GIBSON

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Comment

Two words for you.... Island Hole.

They don't have to be long, can be really quite short (150ft) but every thing is OB except the island. If you can make it hole 9, thats all the better, nothing like have a great round hinge on your ability finish with what is mostly a psychological shot as appose to skill or distance!

BTW both Kevin and I would be willing to take a look at anything you guys are doing because we love to argue like old women about design concepts, and will take any opportunity to do so.
      sigpic

Comment

You can have it both ways. In many cases, rec players will not follow whatever OB and mando rules are posted anyway. We see players throwing from their disc that shanked into a residential road even though they know it's supposed to be OB. So create the special set-ups for those who want to follow them, recognizing that many may not wish to follow the plan.

Comment

If someone is out to have fun and learn a new game the new game might be unique enough by itself. You might want to make some signs with shot suggestions on a few tees instead. I have been to a few parks that have little exercise stations with how to signs. It might be cool for new players to come to a tee and see a sign with a picture and desription of a sidearm, a UD, thumber, or roller. This would teach them that there are more options than just a backhand and a sidearm and would make for a unique twist on a recreational course.

Tourney idea in the making.
          Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
            If someone is out to have fun and learn a new game the new game might be unique enough by itself. You might want to make some signs with shot suggestions on a few tees instead. I have been to a few parks that have little exercise stations with how to signs. It might be cool for new players to come to a tee and see a sign with a picture and desription of a sidearm, a UD, thumber, or roller. This would teach them that there are more options than just a backhand and a sidearm and would make for a unique twist on a recreational course.

Tourney idea in the making.
            Mando throwing style for a hole?

I like it!

Comment

Not having the world's biggest arm, maybe this is only me. Hole 16 on the MR course at Hornings is hugely long, but with it being par 5, well okay. My issue is its ending with that mando-switch-back that is automatically going to require two more strokes. A dogleg is something everyone should learn to deal with, but there isn't a really good way to do a reversal shot. So, it becomes a hole that only someone who can get past the mando in good shape in two or three shots has any chance of a par. It seems okay to make a hole that turns, but one that turns back? Anyone who can't toss every drive 285 can't expect a par, ever. What's left is four 225s and a hundred foot plus field ace.

Par is defined as the number of strokes with which a hole should be made in expert play. After my three longest drives, I'm not left with an expert shot, I'm left with an impossible shot for an approach. Sure, making it an AM par 6 would fix that, but I still don't like the switchback. It just doesn't seem like a golf shot when there basically isn't a golf shot there.
              Last edited by Ol' Bob; February 2nd, 2010, 02:07 PM.
              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I personally like that backwards mando. But I also don't really care what "par" is. I'll get there when I get there.
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

You just have to position your up shot better to make that mando, and then know some specialty shots. Rollers, both sidearm and backhand, knife hyzer, etc. There are ways of getting a par on that hole, I throw in the 290-320 range and I can par that hole. I like to be one of the hills in the fairway off the tee, either laying up for the first hill or going for the second, being on one of those hills for a easier second shot is the key to that hole, that and not going too close to the tree line.
                  Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Our 507 foot, par three, tenth hole has a sharp, narrow, dogleg left at about 430 feet out. I only have been parring it about once a year. After a good tee shot, I can make a second shot that turns the corner and maybe even be looking at a 40 foot putt. I'm going to get that one once in a while. I'd just like par to be in the realm of possibilities. Par is only the guideline for expert play. Tiger gets eagles and birdies off his long drives, but the other players are pretty sure of pars if they don't shank 'em. I'm no expert, but occasionally I play a hole expertly and can get my reward of a par. I'd just like to feel a par is possible on any given hole, and any fairway shot is doable with technique.
                    Last edited by Ol' Bob; February 2nd, 2010, 02:41 PM.

Comment

The only way that hole plays with a "backwards" mando is if you are hugging the treeline. The fairway is wide, use it. From the middle or right side of the fairway it is an easier shot.

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                        I throw in the 290-320 range and I can par that hole.
                        Yes, that's what I said. 260s aren't going to get you there. They won't get me there. It's going to take about 285. If you've got that, then you should be happy, as par is completely doable. I don't see the switchback as much different from a windmill. I see it as unnatural and gimmicky. Just my relatively worthless opinion.

Comment

Thanks, Jevon. If and when I'm there again, I'll try that approach. Though, I fear I'm just not going to have the arm to make that way work either. Par looks just a bit out of reach.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                            Thanks, Jevon. If and when I'm there again, I'll try that approach. Though, I fear I'm just not going to have the arm to make that way work either. Par looks just a bit out of reach.
                            What about HGH?
                            Read this ^

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                              I was happy with my 6!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X