X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial live broadcast coverage

This thread could have gone in the "Events" category but I think this one gets more attention so...

Has everyone checked out the information regarding coverage of the Memorial? For anyone who watched the internet broadcast of the USDGC this year, I think you'll find that this lay out is going to have some changes. I'm pleased that a lot of thought seems to have gone into this second attempt at bringing live content to the viewing masses. Check out the proposed layout here:

http://www.pdga.com/support-internet-coverage

The biggest changes that I took note of are (A) $9.99 viewing fee, and (B) more focused coverage. Thoughts? I'm pretty sure I'm going to pay to watch. I'm excited to see them deliver the goods.

just pay the dang 9.99... i was extremely dissapointed with the numbers of paid versus free registered viewers for the USDGC. And plus anyone who registers gets a chance to win free stuff... but has to have 2500 viewers or more... dooo itttttt...

Comment

I registered. Hoping to win the lessons from Avery, Val, and Nate. How awesome would that be?
      Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

I'm pumped..A few of us are ditching work for a viewing party up in Bham. Pizza, Beer, and some live coverage should be interesting
        WORK LESS THROW MORE
        http://www.grippt.com

Comment

Make sure you sign up by February 5th. It may make or break the whole webcast

"Live Internet broadcasting of The Memorial Championship presented by Discraft is ready to go, but only if we get 2000 subscribers in the next 10 days. "
          Read this ^

Comment

The USDGC coverage was miserable. Now they want money. Also, it costs 20 bucks. The 9.99 thing is for a limited time.

I recommend not supporting this endeavor. If the PDGA gets the notion that it can ding its members for this on a regular basis, then you'll forever pay for it.

Unwillingness to pay to watch crappy Memorial coverage does not make one cheap, either. I don't have to pay a per-event fee to watch football. Advertisement revenues take care of that.

So, if you want to encourage the PDGA to look inward for funding (members' pockets) instead of outward (advertising dollars) then by all means, support it.

"But ChUcK, disc golf isn't big enough for outside companies to take an interest in advertising!"

True. Nor is it big enough to charge Pay-Per-View fees like UFC.
            The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
              The USDGC coverage was miserable.
              Ever tried to cover sports live? Chuck, you normally post such rational thoughts, but this time you are way off. $10 was cheap, a steal. Want to know how much it will cost NBC to cover the 2010 Olympics? Well, they're not saying, but the rights alone will cost them $800 million.

I think they did an outstanding job considering they had an approximate budget of say, zero? Sounds like you are spoiled by the eye candy that only millions of advertising dollars could ever hope to pay for...

Sure, the production values were not Universal Studios quality, but I don't think you have a clue what it takes to produce a live sports broadcast. I was delighted with the product, considering the price, and no advertisements to sit through! Plus, Billy Crump is a crackup!
              Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
              Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
              Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
              Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
              Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                Plus, Billy Crump is a crackup!
                Yeah he is, and I agree that $9.99 is not bad to support disc golf. Even if it is crappy coverage, I would probably pay anyway just for the fact that it's live.

But to each his own.

I can't wait to watch it before running my first tournament.

Chase

Comment

Gawain, I broke my next post down into a series of quoted arguments, just so we all know that I'm wearing my business socks.

Ever tried to cover sports live?
                  No, and you probably haven't either. The fact that I can't build a rocketship to the sun doesn't mean I can't recognize a bad idea.

$10 was cheap, a steal.
                  A steal, but from which side of the transaction?

Want to know how much it will cost NBC to cover the 2010 Olympics? Well, they're not saying, but the rights alone will cost them $800 million.
                  I suppose it is possible that NBC bought the rights for 2010 coverage in order to operate at a loss, but I doubt it. They tend to operate at profit.

I think they did an outstanding job considering they had an approximate budget of say, zero? Sounds like you are spoiled by the eye candy that only millions of advertising dollars could ever hope to pay for...
                  Yes, I am. We all are. BUT I'm not going to walk out of a free Ruth's Chris and make a beeline to pay 10 bucks for a McDonald's double crapburger.

Sure, the production values were not Universal Studios quality, but I don't think you have a clue what it takes to produce a live sports broadcast. I was delighted with the product, considering the price, and no advertisements to sit through! Plus, Billy Crump is a crackup!
                  I wish the entire event was a Crump-a-thon. I love listening to him talk about disc golf, just like baseball fans loved listening to Harry Caray. Give me 10 years in the live sports production arena and I'll tell you what it takes to produce quality stuff. You first, though.
                  The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Yikes, I didn't mean to insult Harry Caray like that. I guess a better analogy would be Madden?

Now I can't decide. Whose style does Billy Crump remind you of most?

Comment

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
                      The USDGC coverage was miserable. Now they want money. Also, it costs 20 bucks. The 9.99 thing is for a limited time.

I recommend not supporting this endeavor. If the PDGA gets the notion that it can ding its members for this on a regular basis, then you'll forever pay for it.

Unwillingness to pay to watch crappy Memorial coverage does not make one cheap, either. I don't have to pay a per-event fee to watch football. Advertisement revenues take care of that.

So, if you want to encourage the PDGA to look inward for funding (members' pockets) instead of outward (advertising dollars) then by all means, support it.

"But ChUcK, disc golf isn't big enough for outside companies to take an interest in advertising!"

True. Nor is it big enough to charge Pay-Per-View fees like UFC.
                      You dont pay to watch football, bs, you pay your cable company dont you? Advisters sponsor specific slots on tv based on viewers that are predicted to watch whatever is on tv. How is pdga going to sell advertisements when it can't get over 10 thousand viewers world wide for the usdgc? Support is support nevertheless where the support comes from, as long as a common goal is in place, getting disc golf more exposure and towards mainstream, anyone who tries to be a one man crusade against part of whole process goal is a crab of society and can either leave or see how they are holding back the whole and change...

Picking on part of a whole will not improve anything or help anything associated with it.

The only way to reach a successful goal is through hard work and investment...

Comment

Originally posted by DMajor View Post
                        Make sure you sign up by February 5th. It may make or break the whole webcast

"Live Internet broadcasting of The Memorial Championship presented by Discraft is ready to go, but only if we get 2000 subscribers in the next 10 days. "
                        Never going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                          You dont pay to watch football, bs, you pay your cable company dont you?
                          Paying a monthly cable fee is pretty much the same as paying a monthly internet service fee. Not a good argument. Besides, I don't pay any cable company anything- I go watch football at a buddy's house, at a bar, whatever. You're talking about incidental costs that cancel. The only amount that doesn't cancel is this 10-20 dollar per-event fee.

I don't know how to answer the rest of what you wrote, it doesn't really make 100% sense. Oh well. Snap, sometimes you come off as a social robot. You should consider trading in your cable TV contract for a library card.

Comment

At least for me, I know the reason I'm paying to watch the Memorial is because:

1) I enjoy watching Disc Golf
                            2) I want to do whatever I can to support the growth of the sport.

and it doesn't hurt that they are offering some pretty cool raffle prizes.

Comment

Holy Cow. I'm going to be at the Memorial and still paid the 10 bucks to help fund this thing. If anyone out there pays for the service and is dissapointed by the coverage I'll personally refund your money. But please, for the love of disc, help get his thing off the ground!

D
                              Team DISCRAFT
                              NW Sign Up
                              Gorilla Boy
                              Paragon Disc Golf
                              Odwalla

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X