X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
    Paying a monthly cable fee is pretty much the same as paying a monthly internet service fee. Not a good argument. Besides, I don't pay any cable company anything- I go watch football at a buddy's house, at a bar, whatever. You're talking about incidental costs that cancel. The only amount that doesn't cancel is this 10-20 dollar per-event fee.

I don't know how to answer the rest of what you wrote, it doesn't really make 100% sense. Oh well. Snap, sometimes you come off as a social robot. You should consider trading in your cable TV contract for a library card.
    ahh sorry I have to break it down to your level.. forgot not everyone is capable of higher thinking and stepping out of their emotional cage and evaluating each situation to see the big picture in everything instead of selfish thinking and disregarding how to make the best out of anything.
    As for the social robot, better than appearing to be a crab, don't know what that means, do some digging on the internet, the bill you do apparently pay for...

Point of the first post was; hush up, support the sport you love and help it grow instead of thinking things should be done this way or that way, because you ain't the one doing it...

Comment

I see our newest "member" is Carl Hungus. We can imagine what comes next. Maybe ChUcK will get him to hook up a little pirated cable.
      Last edited by Ol' Bob; January 31st, 2010, 10:20 PM.
      The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
      ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
        Point of the first post was; hush up, support the sport you love and help it grow instead of thinking things should be done this way or that way, because you ain't the one doing it...
        This certainly begs the question: is paying 10 bucks for Internet coverage of the Memorial supporting the sport we love and helping it grow?
        We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Yes
          Team DISCRAFT
          NW Sign Up
          Gorilla Boy
          Paragon Disc Golf
          Odwalla

Comment

Text "Haiti" to 90999 to support Red Cross relief efforts... $10 well spent to help those who really need it. Snap, for the price of just two Double Tall, nonfat, soy, no foam, two splendas, sugar free Carmel Machiattos, with room, at Starbucks you could make a difference in a child's life... if you want to take up a cause, maybe you should sponsor a child through 'Save the Children'. I'll pay the $10 because I'm interested, not because I think it's a good cause, just a fringe benefit that it'd help dg's progression. Perhaps the PDGA should have included the viewing privileges as an optional cost in players' membership. I imagine a large percentage of current members would have opted to pay the extra $10.
            Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
              Yes
              Explain.
              We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Paying this money for live Memorial coverage is not helping grow the sport. It may even be retarding the growth, but I can't prove it at the moment. That will have to come with 20/20 hindsight.

Disc Golf has it backwards. I can go spectate at any tournament I please free of charge, but I have to pay for half-assed video coverage. What's the best way to witness disc golf? Via horrible-quality live internet feed, or being there in the park watching the action go down?

I realize that most events are held at facilities that make charging admission fees relatively impossible, but I would not balk at throwing an honor-system 10 bucks at a TD in order to spectate at an event. I had a fabulous time at last year's Jet Wash Open watching Brody rip Seatac apart.

If the PDGA wants to grow the sport by way of live internet video, then they need to continue to provide it free to the public and get off their asses to secure actual funding instead of dipping into the cookie jar and gouging the viewers. If they need numbers to prove the worthiness of potential sponsor investment, keep track of the hits/views/registration data for the live coverage.

I'd like to see the number of viewers for the '09 USDGC versus the numbers that will come from this scheme. It will be less for the Memorial, and that data will scare advertisers away, not attract them. This is not growing the sport.

Anytime someone tells you to "hush up and do it" there should be alarm bells going off. That usually tells me that the person doesn't really have my best interests in mind, they just want company for their misery.

Interesting side note: The BSF crew busts their asses to successfully secure all sorts of sponsorship dough. Perhaps we should consider a PDGA coup in which we run Doctor Deusler out of office and install Phillips and Mittl in his place.
                The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Let's not forget that the Vibram Open offered a live video feed last year, with poor ol' Billy about to have a heart attack trying to keep up with the action. Sure, the video was choppy, and the camerawork a bit on the amateur side, but it was entertaining to watch, and it was free. I didn't see any of the USDGC coverage, but about the best I heard anyone say about it was "meh...it had potential," most people though, just said it was lame.

I'll be at work while the Memorial is going on, so I won't be watching this. Even if I weren't, I doubt I'd pay for it. I would pay $20 for a DVD if it were decently done though. Asking viewers to donate money in order to judge interest seems a bit like charging higher entry fees in order to advertise a higher purse. If they wanted go gauge interest levels, I'd rather see them post decent Youtube videos with commentary, and just follow the viewership trends there.

I'd have a lot more faith in Steve Dodge's marketing ideas than Duesler's.
                  Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Yay I am playing in this on the the am side, but I just signed up so I can watch it when I get home. Plus my hubby who will not be there will be able to watch the action too

Cindy
                    Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                    2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                    Stumptown #176
                    PDGA #37716

Comment

I thought the USDGC coverage was highly entertaining. It was low budget and all but that was the first time I have seen alot of those really really good golfers play. I don't know how anyone who spends hours upon hours trying to improve at this game doesn't realize how much you can learn from watching those guys compete even on a crappy interent feed
                      Read this ^

Comment

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
                        Paying this money for live Memorial coverage is not helping grow the sport. It may even be retarding the growth, but I can't prove it at the moment. That will have to come with 20/20 hindsight.

Disc Golf has it backwards. I can go spectate at any tournament I please free of charge, but I have to pay for half-assed video coverage. What's the best way to witness disc golf? Via horrible-quality live internet feed, or being there in the park watching the action go down?

I realize that most events are held at facilities that make charging admission fees relatively impossible, but I would not balk at throwing an honor-system 10 bucks at a TD in order to spectate at an event. I had a fabulous time at last year's Jet Wash Open watching Brody rip Seatac apart.

If the PDGA wants to grow the sport by way of live internet video, then they need to continue to provide it free to the public and get off their asses to secure actual funding instead of dipping into the cookie jar and gouging the viewers. If they need numbers to prove the worthiness of potential sponsor investment, keep track of the hits/views/registration data for the live coverage.

I'd like to see the number of viewers for the '09 USDGC versus the numbers that will come from this scheme. It will be less for the Memorial, and that data will scare advertisers away, not attract them. This is not growing the sport.

Anytime someone tells you to "hush up and do it" there should be alarm bells going off. That usually tells me that the person doesn't really have my best interests in mind, they just want company for their misery.

Interesting side note: The BSF crew busts their asses to successfully secure all sorts of sponsorship dough. Perhaps we should consider a PDGA coup in which we run Doctor Deusler out of office and install Phillips and Mittl in his place.
                        Then by all means, fly down to phoenix and watch it for free then. No one is stopping you on that one.

Comparing BSF to PDGA officers and employees is apples and oranges. BSF is one tournament, easy to focus on one tournament with the strong support of the community who doesn't condemn their attempts to provide a top notch tournament nation wide. I hope that there is some sort of video or internet idea put in place for the BSF....

Anyone wanna watch the memorial but cannot afford the $10, let me know, I'll gladly give you my access while I'm playing...

Comment

Years ago, the same thing happened to me at the NY Times site. I had had my cookies disabled and my first registering attempt failed. I then okayed cookies for that site and tried again. But I was locked out after that. I don't figger I ever missed much with them, though.
                          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I signed up for the USDGC and then for the memorial just fine. I think you might have to purchase the Memorial coverage and then link it to your account. Not sure.
                            Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                              Then by all means, fly down to phoenix and watch it for free then. No one is stopping you on that one.

Comparing BSF to PDGA officers and employees is apples and oranges. BSF is one tournament, easy to focus on one tournament with the strong support of the community who doesn't condemn their attempts to provide a top notch tournament nation wide. I hope that there is some sort of video or internet idea put in place for the BSF....

Anyone wanna watch the memorial but cannot afford the $10, let me know, I'll gladly give you my access while I'm playing...
                              Man, if I was in the area I would definitely be there. I have grandparents who live in Tempe, and a coordinated visit some year would be cool.

Whatever fruit you designate as representing the BSF crew, then that's the fresh produce I want in charge of the PDGA.

I thought you wanted everyone to pitch in their buck-o-five? Now you're ripping the PDGA off by giving out your access? That's backwards, dude. You should instead offer to pay for additional Memorial coverage for anyone who can't afford it.
                              The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

It appears they extended the $9.99 price (1/2 off) from Feb 5th to Feb 24th. Looks like they can't get enough people to sign up. Why is that, I wonder...

I see that 1/3 of the live broadcast will be of amateurs. Fabulous. I understand why, I just think it makes the deal even more sour.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X