X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs and Disc Golf

O.K., I don't know how everyone else feels about Dogs and DG but I think its
    very inconsiderate to let dogs run off leash at a disc golf parks or any parks
    for that matter. If you want your dog to be able to run free then take it to a dog park!

Why am I bringing this up? Well two reasons. The first one is my dog was attacked from behind by another dog 3 times its size while he was on a leash.
    I was playing and didn't see the other dog run up on mine. By the time I noticed the dog already had my dog by his harness. So acting on instinct I pushed the dog off with my foot and while doing that I steped on my own
    puppys foot, fracturing it. I won't go into detail of what happened between the other dogs owner and myself. I will say ,that I had to pay 150.00 of a 300.00 vet bill because of a irresponsible dog owner. The Idiot said it was half my fault and I knew it would cost me more to take him to court.

Now for the 2nd reason. 3 days ago I was playing Lunchtime,I drove 3 discs,
    2 landed in fairway and the third turned over into the parking lot and faded
    back to almost make it back inbounds past the old basket ball hoop. There was a car parked there and 3 guys and a dog were hanging out. I yelled 4
    they waved back and watched my disc go around there car.

So I walk around the car ,pick up my disc and start to head for my others in
    the 12th fairway. While walking towards the steps I see the dog out of the corner of my eye and she doesn't look happy to see me. I could tell it was going to bite me. She was staring at my left hand so I pulled it up and when I did that she lunged for my left leg. I could feel her mouth around my leg for just a split second and I pulled my leg from her mouth most of the way. My leg was ok but she ripped a brand new pair of disc golf pants.

You could tell the owner felt bad,he took down my # and said he would call
    me the next day with some $ or new Pants. He hasn't yet.

Sorry to ramble so long but I felt the need to get this out there.
    Please leash your dogs when required by law. Also please remember some
    folks are scared of dogs or just dont like em.

Chopper.

Well it's kind of like me and alcohol/drugs on the course. It's illegal and I don't want to deal with it but I also don't want to 'rat' on my fellow golfers or make a bad name for the sport so I try to not be around it as much as possible but in the end I just have to deal with it. I'm not a huge fan of people breaking the law either, if it's the law that you have to have a leash on your dog then it should be followed, but we have people in society that think they don't have to obey laws because they don't agree with them or they don't think it's important enough or whatever, so you and I will just have to deal with it I guess. I'm sorry to hear about your dogs foot, that is rather unfortunate.
    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

What a misleading thread title.
      The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
        What a misleading thread title.
        Um, how so?
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Sic balls, Chopper!
          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Just a reminder that Club Mud is a dog free course. Please leave Chopper home to protect his junkyard from people's junk.

Comment

Screw you, my dad stormed the beaches at Normandy!

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Loony, loony, loony!

Comment

Trying to get out

of a serious OB.

Comment

I just take issue with irresponsible dog owners in general... it takes a lot to have a good, well adjusted dog and a lot of people really don't have the time it takes to put into working and exercising a dog properly... for a lot of pups, golf should not be there exercise, they should be exercised beforehand, and golf should be seen as work/discipline/training time... I adore dogs and would love to have one, but I know because of my work schedule I don't have enough time to raise a good one... so no dog for me...

... that's really too bad about your experiences, I am especially sorry for your pup... I think raising aggressive dogs and acting like it's no big deal is reprehensible... so you have my sympathy at least.

... and I totally agree that dogs need to be monitored, kept on leashes when it's the rule, and made sure to not be pickin' on poor pups from behind who are on their leashes...

peace threw disc golf,
                      emmarose
                      "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                      Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Breaking the law

Sillybizz, I have a question regarding your statement, "...alcohol/drugs on the course. It's illegal ..."
                        Do you feel differently about alcohol/disc golf where it is allowed, such as at course on private property like Horning's Hideout? How about about a disc golfer using Medical Marijuana on the course, which they acquired by prescription? In other words, do you dislike the activity itself or dislike it when people break the law?

Dogs and Disc Golf? If the law allows dogs on the course, then dogs are allowed on the course. Nothing you can do will change that.

I have two dogs and choose not to take them golfing with me out of respect for the other golfers. I have taken them with me when I golf alone, but two leashed dogs and disc golf is difficult for me, so I avoid it.

Another thing, I've replaced my golf bag twice because of dogs. First, a passer-by dog (on leash) urinated on my bag while I was teeing off. My dogs decided that they needed to mark that bag with their urine. Replaced bag. Second, I set my bag down in dog shit somewhere and it smeared all over my backpack straps and shorts. Yummy! Replaced bag and straps.

I love dogs and I love disc. But not both at the same time.

Comment

What is even more problematic than the dogs, is dog politics. So many dog owners know their little puppy ain't like all them bad dogs, and they just can't see why an exception can't be made for their model citizen. I understand it completely, as I have had some perfect dogs myself. Well, maybe not perfect, but forgiven (if by only me). What would be worse, is making that exception and getting caught by the guy you didn't make the exception for. Even asking for the waver is to put me through the mill. So, I have to take the hard line and tell these folks, "this is a wildlife and kitty cat sanctuary. It is their home and they have the right to not be made even a slight bit nervous in their own home."

Not having played much in public parks, I don't know how bad it is for DGers. I don't really want to find out. I have seen the course dog at Skyline run off with people's drives. I've never landed in poop yet, or gotten bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooskie Longhorn View Post
                            Sillybizz, I have a question regarding your statement, "...alcohol/drugs on the course. It's illegal ..."
                            Do you feel differently about alcohol/disc golf where it is allowed, such as at course on private property like Horning's Hideout? How about about a disc golfer using Medical Marijuana on the course, which they acquired by prescription? In other words, do you dislike the activity itself or dislike it when people break the law?
                            Well, both. I'm not in favor of people breaking or bending laws because they don't believe in them.

I don't mind dogs off the leash personally, but if the law says the dog has to be on the leash then the law should be followed. If it's private property then it's the property owner who makes the decision, whether it's dogs or alcohol. Like Ol' Bob says, Lucky Mud has a no dog policy.

I believe a law should be followed whether if you agree with it or not, that includes alcohol and marijuana in city or county parks. I don't like marijuana or booze all that much, I play with some that do it while playing but for the most part I try to stay away from it as much as possible. If you have a course like Horning's that allows alcohol on the course then there is nothing LEGALLY wrong with it. I still don't want to have to deal with drunken morons.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Keep em' on a leash and pick up their crap!
                              A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X