Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What information is important when scouting land?

What's all the stuff you guys think is important to specifically know about the land when seeking potential course sites?

If you were to send someone out to scout some territory for you, what data would you want them to bring back?
    The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
    What's all the stuff you guys think is important to specifically know about the land when seeking potential course sites?

If you were to send someone out to scout some territory for you, what data would you want them to bring back?
    The first thing I ask myself when scouting land is "is this even possible?".

In other words, are there any obvious hurdles in place such as heavy use in the park, established natural areas, etc..

Comment

John Houck may have some insight into both best practices and pitfalls for designing a course. He is regarded as one of the best course designers in disc golf.

I believe Scott Papa may have some good thoughts on this as well. I heard he designs courses, and at the very least I'm sure he designed Dalaiwood.
      We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

what you should ask...

Can we cut down trees? Can we dig holes? How much property can we use? What are the goals for the park? (i.e. a championship course or a recreational course).

What you should get?
        A Topo map... A sattalite picture... and a lot of help.

This is going to sound elietest but you should get some pros to come and scope holes with you. Most pros have a really detailed understanding of how to cut holes so that they are challenging but where if you throw the shot well you will be rewarded consistently.

Comment

Course Design

Once past the "is it even possible" stage there are many factors to be accounted for. The main thing is that course layouts come in all shapes and sizes.

It all really comes down to the lay of the land. A disc golf course can be built just about anywhere where there is room and availability to do so. The greatest challenge is taking the most advantage of the available land to create a fun and challenging layout while retaining and showcasing the land's beauty.

If I were to send someone out randomly to find me "good" disc golf course land, then there are several things that I'd ask for: some based on personal preference, some based on proven course layout techniques. I'd ask for the scout to find me at least 30 acres with plenty of ups and downs, with a mixture of open fields and tightly wooded fairways, with several breathtaking views available, and with some water (be it river, stream, lake, or ocean). Water just makes disc golf courses more aesthetic, IMO.

-Derek

www.discgolforegon.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
          Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X