X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LegoRules View Post
    Actually there has been a tournament like this for the last two years the Chick Flick. At last years event we had 75 women of all levels from Open to never played before. The first day is all clinics and a casual round with mixed divisions, and the 2nd is a full on tournament. This years event will be even better.

Cindy
    That's right. My wife and I know a couple that are involved with that and TDG. Wasn't it during one of our +100 degree weekends? I wanted to have my wife come out and I was going to volunteer but I had the NCLEX coming up. Are the Chick Flicks open to newcomers? I'd love for my wife to meet some other lady throwers.

On another note, I don't think I've ever seen the guys on a course be disrespectful to my wife. I'm sure it happens but I have found most of the disc golf community to be fairly easy going and respectful...if not at times sort of surprised to see a lady throwing.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscnRN View Post
      Are the Chick Flicks open to newcomers? I'd love for my wife to meet some other lady throwers.
      Chick Flicks are certainly for newcomers. We actually have a monthly Chick Flick next weekend Jan. 10th at Cascade Gateway park in Salem. We'll be meeting at hole 1 to play at 10AM. Any ladies who haven't played one (or even played at all) should come out!

Comment

Originally posted by The Ombudsman View Post
        If a woman is truly interested in you, she will want to share your interests. If disc golf is all that defines you as a person, then you have issues. There has got to be more to each and every one of you than dg. This is a better way to get a woman Find a new woman and introduce her to the sport.
        I love disc golf and play as much as I can, but I also play piano and practice that as much as I can. Learn to cook. Everyone eats, and women love a man who is a master in the kitchen. I just became engaged last night. My fiancee is not a disc golfer and had never even heard of the sport before she met me. She asked me to take her out one day and she could not even throw 50 feet. Nonetheless, she supports my addiction and I am sure she will improve. We have many more important things in common than disc golf.
        Thats not the issue. I have many things that define me as a person. The one thing she couldn't stand was disc golf. And since that is a big part of my life and one she couldn't tolerate then there was a problem. She didn't get all over my case when I spent days writing poems.

And btw congrats on the engagement.
        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
        Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by The Ombudsman View Post
          If a woman is truly interested in you, she will want to share your interests. If disc golf is all that defines you as a person, then you have issues. There has got to be more to each and every one of you than dg. This is a better way to get a woman Find a new woman and introduce her to the sport.
          I love disc golf and play as much as I can, but I also play piano and practice that as much as I can. Learn to cook. Everyone eats, and women love a man who is a master in the kitchen. I just became engaged last night. My fiancee is not a disc golfer and had never even heard of the sport before she met me. She asked me to take her out one day and she could not even throw 50 feet. Nonetheless, she supports my addiction and I am sure she will improve. We have many more important things in common than disc golf.
          Yeah, it's not until AFTER the wedding that these things become a problem.
          Enjoy the "tolerance" while it lasts
          Seriously though: congrats.

Comment

I think I have one of the most supportive (non-golfing) wive's in the history of disc golf.

Two seperate times this year, while walking off the course after a long day playing golf, I've been mid conversation with buddies about how much trouble they were in (from wife or GF) for playing all day, when I got texted pictures of my dinner being prepared and Adrienne wondering a time frame so it can be ready for me when I get there! I just show my buddies the pics and rub it right in their face! I feel bad for the ones that don't have this kind of support!

My wife knew she married a disc golfer, we had baskets at our wedding!
            A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Best place to find frisbee-throwing gals is on an ultimate field. Go find a pick-up game or join a city league team.

But don't assume that you can simply take the Ultra-star out of her hand and give her a Sidewinder.

For some reason very few people move between DG and ultimate or keep a foot in both worlds, especially if they still have decent wheels. Once the legs start to slow a bit, DG becomes much more inviting.

Good luck.

Comment

This is a very interesting thread... and I'm glad Cindy piped up and now I will as well. First, I think it's a cool idea to hook people up with a single folk, doubles tournie... not my style, but could be super fun and really work for some people.

I wanted to address, also, why more ladies don't play disc golf. I think there is a whole host of reasons... a very simple one being (and this is just my own belief) that women tend to be much less competetive than men naturally and so as with any sport there is less interest on the part of the ladies. I started golfing with a bunch of my girlfriends in college and we all sucked... I started getting better, devoting more time to it, and they lost interest... they also shared with me that now that I was pretty good, my competetiveness sort of turned them off, made it less fun for them as it became more fun for me... Also, women tend to be the primary caregivers in the family and disc golf is difficult for small children... lots of waiting and being quiet and not your turn yet and more waiting, I do know a lot of families who make disc golf work on a very recreational basis... and then it is tough, as a beginner of either sex, to get into the sport if you're not playing on an appropriate course for skill level and with people who make you feel comfortable (not out of your league skill-wise, with enough patience to encourage and help you, etc). I have also noticed a very distinct "boy's club" vibe from some of my golf buddies... I played with a hole host of dudes for like three years before I knew that any of them were married and had kids (and most of them did!). This is not to say that it is not important to have time to yourself away from kids, etc... don't get me wrong...

I am lucky in that I have a lot of ladies I know who are very serious, very good golfers... sometimes when we go out there's actually more ladies than dudes in our group ( I know... shocking!). It's funny to hear all the dudes talking about needing disc golfing girlfriends, my family and friends joke that if you want to spend any time with me, you better love disc golfing, 'cause it's all I do...

So, Parks, yes, girls do disc golf... some of us obsessively even... now, amigo, please do not ever ask such a ridiculous question ever ever ever again! Do girls disc golf? Sheesh.

peace (and love!) threw disc golf,
                emmarose
                "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

I'm waiting for you, Rosa, to come up here and show me how. I'm used to getting kicked around the course by the ladies, so I will be able to handle it. I'll be careful to not be put off by your competitiveness.

Hey, I tossed a +1 yesterday! Big deal for me. I had a lot of stoopid missed putts too. Durn. Oh well, still my best in a while.
                  The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                  ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                    I'm waiting for you, Rosa, to come up here and show me how. I'm used to getting kicked around the course by the ladies, so I will be able to handle it. I'll be careful to not be put off by your competitiveness.

Hey, I tossed a +1 yesterday! Big deal for me. I had a lot of stoopid missed putts too. Durn. Oh well, still my best in a while.
                    Me and the old man will be out there soon, bob, soon! We are all about the disc golf adventures... probably we'll wait until the weather gets a little bit more consistently nicer... I do not care for driving (my suby) in inclement weather much... but Lucky Mud is in the forefront of my brain for courses I have yet, but need, to play!

peace,
                    em (or Rosie, Queen of Corona if you prefer... like I used to pretend when I was just a tiny little thing frolicking around on my hobby horse and rockin' out to Paul Simon)

Comment

...see me and Julio, down by the first tee...

Paul Simon is the only Yankee fan in the whole wide world that I can stand. My favorite songwriter but I hate to see that ball cap on him.

...talkin' about Ace In The Hole - mmm, mmm, mmmm, mm, mmm...
                      The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                      ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                        ...see me and Julio, down by the first tee...

Paul Simon is the only Yankee fan in the whole wide world that I can stand. My favorite songwriter but I hate to see that ball cap on him.

...talkin' about Ace In The Hole - mmm, mmm, mmmm, mm, mmm...
                        hehe

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X