X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on new Discgolfer issue

I havent and will not be able to read my issue until I go back home on Jan 4th. But i thought I would start early, since the last issue, the main concern was lack of content and too much advertising... how does this magazine issue compare to the last one, an improvement or the same or? Just curious...

It seems smaller but with plenty of ads.
    rewindb.com

Comment

This was the weakest one I've seen.

I just wish there could be a magazine with the content of FDM but delivered on time.
      We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Well they have been asking for photos and articles from us and it seems a lack of us are sending ideas in.... There are some of us with good writing skills that could be put to good use like Dion's articles for 1k rated.... send feedback to pdga EIC, i am sure with enoug hpositive ideas and feedback they can improve...

Comment

I DO really like the course design stuff. That's an interesting area that any club can use to improve some local holes or put to use in new courses.

I thought the instructional stuff in FDM was pretty good. Need more articles from the likes of Scott Papa. Regardless of what some golfers think of him, he writes good articles for improving your game.
          We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Discgolfer Magazine . . . . . ? ? ? ? ? ?

I think that we should bring it upon ourselves to provide this wonderful entity with all the editorials and photos possible. I have not considered this before, but I am overjoyed to be a part of such an integral part of our sport . . . expect my additions soon (if accepted?)

-Derek, DiscGolfOregon.com

Comment

Yeah I wish I could get someone else to do my work for me too.
              rewindb.com

Comment

Well, they did post asking for photographers for the 2010 year. And they did gladly give DDGA some space, I don't know which article they decided to use but we did give them a few to choose from along with a bunch of pictures to choose from. I, myself, am in charge of the DDGA newsletter which is 4-6 pages long for now, but I gladly accept photos and article submissions; I got the same vibes from PDGA magazine staff that they will accept any articles and photos and make good use of the ones that are magazine worthy or whatever.... The more article ideas and actual articles they receive, the better the magazine will become when they have more to pick from.

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                  This was the weakest one I've seen.

I just wish there could be a magazine with the content of FDM but delivered on time.
                  Really? I thought the FDM content was often terrible. Eighth grade level "creative writing" stories about ghosts playing disc golf. Ron Jeremy "speed of ejaculate" compared to disc speed references. A whole column written by a disc golf outsider about "like um, hyzer is a funny word and stuff, lol". And another regular column from a frisbee dog guy about how disc golfers are losers.
                  Huge font, huge margins, like the guy was fooling his composition teacher. Not to mention numerous proof-reading errors every issue.

Blech. I let the PDGA and the publishers know early and often what I thought of FDM. Not saying the current mag is perfect, but FDM was a disaster. I think Scott Papa is still contributing, aren't you Scott?
                  Last edited by Matt B.; December 28th, 2009, 09:42 AM. Reason: Numerous proof-reading errors

Comment

Years ago I was an editor for our scuba dive club newsletter, and to put out even a small newsletter with interesting articles at times was difficult. Yes there may be a lot of ads in this one (I actually have one in there myself) but that does help pay for circulation, for PDGA dues won't (dues did not go up to pay for this I do not believe). To keep a magazine fresh and interesting is challenging to say the least, so I can see why they want articles. Here on the forum there are lots of discussions that could be edited to become an article, strangest disc find, how to make a gong type of target, the process and progress on Stub Stewart Park, etc.... These and a lot more would be welcome I'm sure if someone had the muse....

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                      Really? I thought the FDM content was often terrible. Eighth grade level "creative writing" stories about ghosts playing disc golf. Ron Jeremy "speed of ejaculate" compared to disc speed references. A whole column written by a disc golf outsider about "like um, hyzer is a funny word and stuff, lol". And another regular column from a frisbee dog guy about how discgolfers are losers.
                      HUge font, huge margins, like thie guy was fooling his composition teacher. Not to mention numerous proof-reading errors every issue.

Blech. I let the PDGA and the publishers know early and often what I thought of FDM. Not saying the current mag is perfect, but FDM was a disaster. I think Scott Papa is still contributing, aren't you Scott?
                      I'm inclined to agree on those points. I liked the concept that FDM had, expanding the scope of disc golf media beyond the arena of competition, but yes, it was not executed very well.

People ask for more content and such, but the truth is, there isn't a whole lot to write about in our sport. There's tournaments happening on a regular basis, so that's one new thing that guys can write about. New equipment comes out regularly, but there isn't much to be said except for a blurb here and there. Courses are being built, but unless people are local to that particular course, there isn't much interest in the planning/building part of it. Instructional articles are great, but how many articles can you really write about a straddle putt? We just don't have the broad base of consumers and manufacturers like ball golf.

Some of the ideas Bob H. touched on there would indeed make for good reading. But, relying on the disc golf community to submit their own articles has it's own problems too--just browse a few disc golf forums and you'll see that the English language isn't the community's strong point.

This post really isn't meant to be as negative as it sounds, I'm just trying to illustrate why most issues of any disc golf magazine are a little light on content.

FWIW, I contacted the editor to write an article earlier, but he didn't seem interested in anything over 400 words, and then was unresponsive when I asked for deadlines. I probably could have pursued it harder, but his lack of interest kind of quelled my own enthusiasm.
                      Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Bob- I saw a mention in the magazine that your baskets had been approved by the PDGA. Very Cool.

Comment

As long as I can get a copy of the National Disquirer at the checkstand, I needn't look any further for creative writing. Their expose about miniature suicide terrorist aliens crashing our drives into trees was a real eye opener for me. I did what they said immediately and lined my bag with tinfoil. The tinfoil must be leaking, as it hasn't really worked out for me. Those aliens are a bigger problem than I'd thought.
                          Last edited by Ol' Bob; December 28th, 2009, 12:18 PM.
                          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            ...just browse a few disc golf forums and you'll see that the English language isn't the community's strong point.

FWIW, I contacted the editor to write an article earlier, but he didn't seem interested in anything over 400 words, and then was unresponsive when I asked for deadlines. I probably could have pursued it harder, but his lack of interest kind of quelled my own enthusiasm.
                            Tim i try to member to laod the spelczec'r

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            ...FWIW, I contacted the editor to write an article earlier, but he didn't seem interested in anything over 400 words, and then was unresponsive when I asked for deadlines. I probably could have pursued it harder, but his lack of interest kind of quelled my own enthusiasm.
                            I say the Mags "like shooting fish in a barrel'.

Why would he want to reinvent himself or his publication. I have issues from 1996 and his formula is the same more ad's then ams (Gravy in my opinion) and a pre-determined prepaid number of issues to produce.

Fish in a Barrel, I say.
                            rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                              Well they have been asking for photos and articles from us and it seems a lack of us are sending ideas in.... There are some of us with good writing skills that could be put to good use like Dion's articles for 1k rated.... send feedback to pdga EIC, i am sure with enoug hpositive ideas and feedback they can improve...
                              Page 7.........."Deaf Disc Golf Association Celebrates 10 Years"

Just thought you'd be interested.

Bob

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X