X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
    Really? I thought the FDM content was often terrible. Eighth grade level "creative writing" stories about ghosts playing disc golf. Ron Jeremy "speed of ejaculate" compared to disc speed references. A whole column written by a disc golf outsider about "like um, hyzer is a funny word and stuff, lol". And another regular column from a frisbee dog guy about how disc golfers are losers.
    Yup, all that stuff is filler to me, and I ignore it the same as I do most advertisements.

Mostly, I care about instructional articles about technique, tournament play, course design, the head game, etc., and there seemed to be at least a few of those in every FDM. Its hard to find stuff like that in good quality outside a short list of resources online (DGR articles, some top pro websites). I thought the other disc sport stuff was moderately interesting (the dog disc guy was clearly tongue in cheek). I like interviews and tournament coverage, but FDM had that too and that's all the current rag seems to be.

I think Tim hit the nail on the head when he said there just isn't a lot to talk about in our sport. Most of what I see on DG forums has already been discussed endlessly on that same forum and others.
    We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
      Yeah I wish I could get someone else to do my work for me too.
      Its not like its a completely one-sided relationship. For some writers, getting stuff published in magazines with a few thousand readers makes for a decent reference for an entry-level writing position. Some people are fonts of knowledge that just want to help out and contribute, and it gives them a medium to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
        Page 7.........."Deaf Disc Golf Association Celebrates 10 Years"

Just thought you'd be interested.

Bob

As the President of DDGA, this was something I wanted to do, get DDGA some space in the PDGA mag, which we successfully did.. Hopefully we get bigger space in the next issues...

There are plenty of ideas on articles for the magazine, just type them out, send them in and let them worry about english crap and deciding if they want it or not... I'lll be sending one in personally for the next issue, I am sure the next Deadline will be around Jan 30th.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for posting your thoughts on DiscGolfer mag. It is always interesting to see what people like/dislike or want/hate to see in the confines of our pages. It is a lot of fun and definitely hard work to get together all of the info, articles and photos that go into every issue so it is always good to hear feedback both pro and con to help get a feel on how you, the public, feel we are doing.

If you don't know, I am the instructional editor for the magazine, just as I was for FDM. The difference was that I did a lot more writing for FDM rather than just editorial work as there was a lot of room to fill and not enough "quality" writers to make it happen. As we all know many golfers that tell great stories or are excellent teachers, they may not have any desire to do any writing or even if they do, may just not be very good at putting down their thoughts on the printed page. It is always a challenge!

In my position I basically will come up with the general idea for the issue that I want to cover and then try and get truly talented golfers and teachers from all areas, abilities and strengths to write articles about said topic. While I am not writing as much as I used to, the idea was to give the populace more input from many sources as often you may learn from one person saying something but not understand the exact same thing from someone else. I have seen notes from a few people that say they would like to see more of my writings so if I keep seeing this response I may start adding more of my own stuff to the mag.

As for how much you can write about any shot, that is truly endless. There are so many ball golf mags that cover over and over and over every shot that has ever been hit and how to hit it better that there is never an end to it. As I stated before, just because the first eleven articles you read didn't help you get that additional 25 feet on your drive doesn't mean that the twelfth article will be no help. It may be that article that something the writer says hits home like no one else and suddenly you have to go to all mids because all of your drivers go way too far now.

So bottom line, I think this mag is much more consistent and more professionally laid out than FDM ever was. The content may not be as nutsy as FDM was but to be quite honest with you the last thing I really needed to read about was Rich's trip to Hawaii and how awesome the fruit was. I would have much rather seen us put out issues when they were supposed to be out and hold up to all the promises that were dealt to the public. DiscGolfer will do that and that puts it way ahead on all accounts.

As a more important note, if there is anything that you would like to see covered in the instructional section....LET ME KNOW!!!! You can always get in touch with me here in the forum, an email, a phone call, a pm or whatever. I am already hoping to get a young guns article together that would hopefully feature two well known Oregonians to lay down some of their knowledge of play (like 360 drives and forehands...or have I said too much). So again, let me know if you would like to see more....

Oh yeah, did anyone ever read the top ten articles at the back of FDM. If so, what did you think...inquiring minds want to know.

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Scott Papa
          Team Discraft
          Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine

Comment

The top 10 was part of the filler in my opinion, and not the entertaining or useful content of FDM.

Comment

If you want to fill pages, it will be a tough pull to get interest across all content from everyone. It doesn't look easy to me. What happens to those ball golf mags except to land on the doctor's waiting room table? Obviously, there is a advertising base that wants to see circulation happen more than anyone. The bucks they spend will produce returns. If they want content, it is they who will have to fork out. If anyone thinks DG will produce the level of circulation any time soon that will fund decent content, I would think they are dreaming.

When it comes to content, you can get, you will get, what someone pays for. I'd say go for tons of photos. Our sport is nothing if not photogenic. The courses and the golfers make for great pictures. Come up with continuing features of all kinds. Course designing and awesome holes. Disc physics and techy stuff. Interviews and player spotlights go without saying. Include some international scope. Showcase a few killer dye jobs in every issue. DG Humor. Innovate (no endorsement or pun intended).

It's the written content that will be the most challenging. It's going to be hard to not have it look like infomercials. A real effort should go to preventing that. When the mag starts looking like junk mail, you know where it will go. It will be tough, and take a lot, to make something every DGer can't wait to get. I hope the writing will pay enough to eventually get a good many submissions rejected. Get the standard up there and keep it there. The bar is set high by the mags in any field that survive. I hope DG gets a survivor someday.
              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Ol' Bob, that may be the least digressive post you've ever written.
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Ol' Bob, that may be the least digressive post you've ever written.

What the f... you talkin' about?

Comment

Awesome.
                    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

and bob, why dont you submit that idea to pdga about the dyed discs, that is something we havent seen too much of in mags, and would be a killer article filler or soemthing...

Comment

Well, whoever tells 'em, they should tell 'em to pay something for reproducing that art. After all, that's going to sell mags, discs, and all the rest.

Comment

After looking at my new issue I think the content is actually better than the previous issue. They are moving in the right direction in my opinion.
                          www.soulpancake.com
                          www.bahai.org
                          http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

Have it your way, dude.

Well, to tell the truth, mine is still wrapped in plastic. I was so disappointed with the last few, that I haven't bothered. I will get around to eventually opening it when the power goes out and I finish those novels... oh and that crocheting project... and get bored of putting practice... I'll let you know when I can form an opinion about the latest one. I'm busy right now... I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

I did not think it was too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by hyphenboy View Post
                                Well, to tell the truth, mine is still wrapped in plastic. I was so disappointed with the last few, that I haven't bothered. I will get around to eventually opening it when the power goes out and I finish those novels... oh and that crocheting project... and get bored of putting practice... I'll let you know when I can form an opinion about the latest one. I'm busy right now... I'm kind of a big deal...
                                hmmm you read novels when you go #2? anyone who dosent have at least 1 if not 5 disc golf related material sitting by the john is a fake and should just quit the game, donate their discs to DDGA and take up badmition.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X