X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Golf Community, watcha think?

As some may know, Mason County Disc Golf recently signed a lease agreement with the City of Shelton. The attached map of the area included in the agreement shows a much larger area then we initially thought we were going to obtain, roughly 60 acres. Most of which is an established forest, but also includes a wide open area that runs beneath some BPA powerlines. There is very little variance in elevation throughout, but again, what we lack in elevation change we make up for in space and long wooded holes (10-15 years ago the City did selective cutting throughout the forest, leaving behind long slashes/corridors/fairways. The canopy grew in, and what's left is 300+ ft long alleys with little to no underbrush to clear, think NAD on steroids).

The amount of space and free range we have has lead us to a crossroads. Should we consider utilizing our positives to have a true-Blue (pun intended) Course? Meaning, creating a Course with several par 4s and atleast one par 5. It's easy for us to get amped on the idea and overlook the negatives of such an endeavor. We would like to know what the Disc Golf Community feels about this.

We have nothing set in stone, aside from creating the course with 2 tee boxes ("am" and "pro") per hole in mind. We have researched and feel like we understand PDGA Disc Golf Course standards, validations and SSA information. We simply want to create something that the peninsula (and maybe Western Washington) is currently lacking, a BIG destination Course.

Discuss...

I am a week armed old crusty and I think you should always think big! Par 4s and 5s are great!

Comment

If you can make par fours and five with ease (not cramped) then by all means do so! It's not like this state has too many gold level courses or something. I've never been a fan of the whole pro and am tee boxes thing but if you have the space and desire then all means do so. Please don't half ass the land you have there, take your time over there and make the course awesome. It sounds like a great course is in the works, here in WA it would be nice to have one.
      Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Y E S if you have 60 acres make it world class for sure. With that much space 2 ridiculous courses or a 27 hole course would be possible. An 18 hole(or 2 18s) par 60+ would be a nice addition to the area. Just make sure the holes are fair and not just throwing through 800ft of trees without a real defined fairway. Make it big make it right. Good luck and thank you!
        Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

If you're planning to put in pro and am teepads, then go ahead and make the pro pads as long and scary as you like.
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
            If you can make par fours and five with ease (not cramped) then by all means do so!
            As usual, I agree with everything Tom said. Par 4's and 5's are definitely preferred, but if it takes two "filler" holes to get there or it makes the course cramped, IMO its not worth it.

I think different pin locations (which create par 3's, 4's, 5's) are much preferred to different tees but both are good. If you leave a lot of space around each fairway and room for longer pins (par 4's, 5's), you'll open up options for years down the road to improve once you have the course up and going. Tyler park in Pennsylvania is a good model for what I'm thinking of.

Also, I'd much prefer a totally bad ass 18 hole course to a pretty good 27.

Awesome that you guys continue to get input on the course
            'Weekend 4 Women':
            Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
            Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Originally posted by cefire View Post
              As usual, I agree with everything Tom said. Par 4's and 5's are definitely preferred, but if it takes two "filler" holes to get there or it makes the course cramped, IMO its not worth it.

I think different pin locations (which create par 3's, 4's, 5's) are much preferred to different tees but both are good. If you leave a lot of space around each fairway and room for longer pins (par 4's, 5's), you'll open up options for years down the road to improve once you have the course up and going. Tyler park in Pennsylvania is a good model for what I'm thinking of.

Also, I'd much prefer a totally bad ass 18 hole course to a pretty good 27.

Awesome that you guys continue to get input on the course
              Once again I agree with everything Andrew just said.
              Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

I think different pin locations (which create par 3's, 4's, 5's) are much preferred to different tees but both are good.
                I disagree completely. Different tees allow the player to decide, more or less, which course they're going to play that day. With different pin placements, you're subject to the whims of whomever has the keys. Long and short tees potentially make the course more fun for twice as many people on any given day.
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

But we're talking about a "blue" course, plenty of casual courses to go around. Multiple pins is my preference for a blue course but you have a good point if you want to please the casual golfers.
                  'Weekend 4 Women':
                  Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                  Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

But we're talking about a "blue" course, plenty of casual courses to go around.
                    Even so, if you have the opportunity to basically create another casual course by adding an extra set of tees -- without the blue layout having to sacrifice a thing -- why not do it? Also, keep in mind that Mason County doesn't really have much in the way of courses, right now, casual or otherwise.
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

First off, thanks for all the responses.

I failed to mention that through the process of Course design, we've made attempts to find Alt pin locales. And that one of the major factors in our pursuit of dual tee pads is that we offered the City a Course design that was also beginner friendly. The dual tee pads allow us to be able to offer a challenge for all user groups.

Least of all, we will not be forcing the issue. But the reason we're considering it is because there seems to be an appropriate amount of space and factors to warrant a "Blue" Course.

Like I said, we are very interested in creating something special. Your input only reinforces our desire to create a "must-play" Course. But most importantly, to do it right. Thank you...

Comment

If you are putting in dual tee pads then a longer course would be awesome (pro pads). Also, you could make the shorter teepads a completely different shot, not just shorter.
                        www.soulpancake.com
                        www.bahai.org
                        http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

I'm a fan of multiple tees myself, and if a course has the space to put them in, I totally support it. In designing the course, it's much easier to incorporate multiple tees in the outset, rather than trying to install them later when the course is established. Installing alt. pin placements down the road though, isn't too tough at all in the scheme of things.

I'm back in VA right now, and I played New Quarter a few days ago. The course started off with blue and white tees, most of the holes having only one pin placement. As of this year though, all the holes have at least two placements--many extending the hole by another 100' and changing the shape of the shot significantly (DGCR doesn't reflect the changes yet). The course was challenging before, but is downright tough now. I played from the short tees (white), and the course was at least as difficult as SeaTac. I can only imagine what the blue tees were like (wish I didn't have to imagine though--I'd like to spend a couple days playing there if I could).

Kevin, is there any chance of incorporating more than 2 sets of tees? Like say, reds, whites, and blues?

Also, just one other side note, I too am a fan of par 4s and 5s, so long as they're done right. Taking a tight, woodsy hole, making it super long, and calling it a par 4 is a cheap way out, IMO. Tight woodsy holes are awesome, but make them too long and the hole can easily go from challenging to frustrating (Rooster East #3 and some of the woodsy holes at Bryant for example). It's certainly possible to have woodsy par 4s, but just make sure there are reasonable fairways.
                          Last edited by Tim; December 24th, 2009, 07:13 AM.
                          Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Hey Kevin, nice work!

You guys are in a unique position to "create" a golf course, not just installing tee pads and baskets, but "creating" a course from scratch. One of the main obstacles of designing is competing for use of the land, your not competing, its yours!

You already have most of the aspects to a great course in place; some wide open space, a lot of established forest, paths and roads, a little bit of water, and very little outside use. And quite possibly the MOST important one is a club that takes pride in hard work and has the tools to do it! Oh yea, did you mention that the club has access to an excavator!

Don't cut the players short, think big! Lets make this the Championship quality course, that we all need and want! Good courses make good players!
                            A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Since you have so much land to use, go with short and long tees.
                              Long tees really need to be put into the design from the start. If you don't, you'll end up with crowded tees and baskets later or long walk outs that you'll need a map to navigate. Put the short tees in at a realistic Par 3. If they are to short people won't want to play them.

Also install tee signs for each tee. People always want to play the tee with the tee sign. They think it is the "real" tee.

Every course needs multiple pin placements. It changes to course slightly to keep the course fresh for the players. It also rotates the wear and tear around the basket to a new area.
                              Last edited by Vector_2008; December 24th, 2009, 09:39 AM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X