X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotator Cuff Surgery

Any fellow disc golfers go under the knife for rotator cuff surgery? I'm curious about the rehab time and when I can expect to throw a disc again (with my right arm). Hopefully I can get more distance after the reconstruction.

Damn those 25 years of ultimate, those tequila drinking nights going down a waterslide on my feet, and going head first onto the street off my bike. I knew it would eventually catch up with me.

but Not one mention of stairs
    rewindb.com

Comment

I keep putting off the call to the VA about getting surgery. My last rip happened around 8 weeks ago from pulling down on a dead branch that blocked the tee shot on 17 when it was wet and heavy. When the branch popped, so did my shoulder. Now it wakes me up several times a night and hurts worse putting than driving. So I'm watching this thread now.
      The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
      ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

My right shoulder has been under the knife. Don't recall what they did in there other than put in 3 pins but I figured something needed to be done after I dislocated it 25-30 times. Since I was young and dumb I didn't really stick to my physical therapy and continued to have problems. It probably came out around 20 times over the years after the surgery but was tight enough I could usually pop it back in without a problem. I haven't had any trouble for 6 years or so but I still don't have full range of motion. I can live with that as long as it doesn't pop out while sneezing again...

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post
          My right shoulder has been under the knife. Don't recall what they did in there other than put in 3 pins but I figured something needed to be done after I dislocated it 25-30 times. Since I was young and dumb I didn't really stick to my physical therapy and continued to have problems. It probably came out around 20 times over the years after the surgery but was tight enough I could usually pop it back in without a problem. I haven't had any trouble for 6 years or so but I still don't have full range of motion. I can live with that as long as it doesn't pop out while sneezing again...
          Or you could just not sneeze... Guinness helps that I've heard...
          Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
          Remain ye men of faculty complete,
          Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
          Attending to our noble bond and contract?
          Or does here stand the last remaining man
          To give a fig for rules and order yet,
          No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
          Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
          Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
            Or you could just not sneeze... Guinness helps that I've heard...
            It came out 4 times from sneezing... twice throwing snowballs, two or three times playing basketball, twice snowboarding, once vacuuming, once while sleeping... ah the memories.

Funny thing about the Guinness, I grabbed one out of the fridge the other night and just couldn't bring myself to open it. Who would think training would be so hard?

Comment

Yeah, I've never been under but a wonderful lady I work with named Kelley just had her right shoulder done (which is her throwing hand). She got it done about three months ago and everything was going perfect for her until about a month ago. During physical therapy her shoulder locked into place and couldn't be moved. Not even grabbing it. Apparently it's called shoulder lock and happens about 15 percent of the time after rotator cuff surgery. She lost tons of motion and is just starting to be able to move her shoulder up an inch. Still can't pick up her hand.

Scares me since my right shoulder has been effed in the A since I shattered my shoulder cap when I was 14. I'm just hoping I never have to go under the knife.

This is a great reminder people, stretch in abundance before throwing a single drive. The shoulder you save maybe your own.
              "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
              Cleveland Brown

Comment

I originally screwed up mine throwing a featherweight boomerang. You throw them straight overhand with massive wrist snap. My 'rang worked amazingly well but was just too damned light. That was about twenty years ago. The recent reinjury has made backhand hurt at times. I think I'm going to have to try it and hope I'm not in the 15%.
                The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Back to Brian's question ...

It really depends on a lot of factors: damage, age, how you rehab, etc. If it's just surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff, and it's partially torn, it will be anywhere from 6 to 16 weeks (at least from my experience working with injured workers). If they get in there and decide they need to do an repair of the rotator cuff and it becomes a reconstruction, it could possible take over 5-6 months (shoulders can be tricky). Just stop beating people left-handed, will ya?

Comment

When it comes to using his left hand, Brian only beats himself.
                    Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

I would think if it's minor rotator cuff surgery, if rehab goes well, work your shoulder into it slowly, probably 3-6 months. Being over 40 years of age, the body recovers a lot slower than 20 year olds so it will take alot more dedicated rehab overall to tighten up the shoulder before throwing with it. I would also look into some straps or whatnot that help the shoulder stay in place.. safety equipment is a good investment long run...

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Puttzinski View Post
                        When it comes to using his left hand, Brian only beats himself.
                        damn...I need to be more discrete while in the woods of lake stevens. I thought nobody could see me. It's just that I had made a 50 putt for a birdie and I got a little excited....

Comment

but still no metion of the stairs
                          rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                            but still no metion of the stairs
                            Yeah, Jub, on Thanksgiving I slipped on some wooden stairs and fell on my butt. This was the final straw of the shoulder staying together. Are you playing the Freeze? Do we have a side bet of you playing single disc against me playing left handed?

Comment

I already have work scheduled for at least the AM maybe you see me in the Afternoon. hey didn't you have knee surgery about this time last year?
                              rewindb.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X