X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Road Trip

So this Winter break me and my Dad are going to be taking a road trip from Portland to Mexico heading most likely straight down I-5. Odds are due to time constraints and driving logistics we'll be looking at 3-4 days of driving time to get to the Mexican border. Because of the general lack of daylight right now I'll likely be held to 1 course a day, maybe 2 on one day if they're in close proximity. Now my Dad is not a big disc golfer, though he is a fairly outdoorsy guy, enjoys hiking and does enjoy our 5-7 rounds a year, usually at Pier. So I'm looking for recommendations on courses I should hit. I've already played: Golden Gate DGC, Orangevale, La Mirada and Lake Casitas as far as top courses goes, so I'm less inclined to do return trips there, (though they were all awesome courses). My criteria is: reasonable proximity to I-5, the oneish a day spacing and natural beauty is a plus. I know it's a lot too chew but any suggestions? I have about 2 weeks to plan out the trip.
    PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
    dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Originally posted by Joshua Olmsted View Post
    So this Winter break me and my Dad are going to be taking a road trip from Portland to Mexico heading most likely straight down I-5. Odds are due to time constraints and driving logistics we'll be looking at 3-4 days of driving time to get to the Mexican border. Because of the general lack of daylight right now I'll likely be held to 1 course a day, maybe 2 on one day if they're in close proximity. Now my Dad is not a big disc golfer, though he is a fairly outdoorsy guy, enjoys hiking and does enjoy our 5-7 rounds a year, usually at Pier. So I'm looking for recommendations on courses I should hit. I've already played: Golden Gate DGC, Orangevale, La Mirada and Lake Casitas as far as top courses goes, so I'm less inclined to do return trips there, (though they were all awesome courses). My criteria is: reasonable proximity to I-5, the oneish a day spacing and natural beauty is a plus. I know it's a lot too chew but any suggestions? I have about 2 weeks to plan out the trip.
    It might be worth an expedition off the I-5 corridor to hit up Waller Pines in Santa Maria. After playing it you can easily take the 101 South and hook back up with I-5.
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

UOB in Weed. Less than 5 minutes off the freeway with great views of Mt Shasta.
      Panda...it's what's for dinner!

Team Deucebag

Comment

Anderson River Park in Anderson, CA. Also just a few minutes off the freeway... with mediocre views of Mt. Lassen.
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

UOB is similar to hyzer pines with some added obstacles, but this time of the year probably freezing and snow?
          Anderson is shorter and more unique, was it my suggestion that has gotten Adam to suggest this course? heh.
          Sylmar course in sylmar is not bad. Morley field in San Diego...

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
            Anderson is shorter and more unique, was it my suggestion that has gotten Adam to suggest this course? heh.
            No, it was my experience playing there and thinking it was a fun course.
            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
              It might be worth an expedition off the I-5 corridor to hit up Waller Pines in Santa Maria. After playing it you can easily take the 101 South and hook back up with I-5.

I forgot to mention I also played all the San Luis Obispo area courses, waller, preisker, Heilmann and Sinseimer.
              PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
              dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Olmsted View Post
                I forgot to mention I also played all the San Luis Obispo area courses, waller, preisker, Heilmann and Sinseimer.
                In that case check out Emerald Isle in Oceanside

and rent a golf cart
                "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                  No, it was my experience playing there and thinking it was a fun course.
                  smart axx

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                    smart axx
                    No, not this time.
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

My only recommendations would be Hellyer/De La Raza in San Jose off Route 101, wouldn't be too much of a detour or Stafford Lake which is a detour but probably worth it.
                      'Weekend 4 Women':
                      Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                      Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

If you branched off onto Route 99 near Modesto, it looks like there may be some decent options in Modesto, Fresno, and two good 18's next to eachother at Visalia...never been though just looked at DGCR.
                        'Weekend 4 Women':
                        Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                        Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Josh, if you have time, play my course in Santa Maria, waller pines. if not play lake casitas or sylmar

Comment

haha, all I can think about is the spring break where we drove from Oregon City to Rosarito in like 16 hrs. straight!
                            Boys! Boys! Nobody owns Cory and Trevor. -Bubbles

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                              In that case check out Emerald Isle in Oceanside

and rent a golf cart
                              I fully agree.... Emerald Isle would be a GREAT stop...5 mins off I-5 and Golf Carts with beer holders large enough for the Fosters "Oil Can's" sold in the Pro Shop.

Tell Skip...Magilla sent ya.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X