X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backhand Drive Technique Question

I have a habit of holding on to the back of the disc with my left hand while I wind up to drive with my righty backhand. My drive is decent but not great-- typically I'm in the the 340' range on an open shot with a Wraith. I feel like the left hand thing is a crutch that I should break myself of. Without it I have to throw a couple discs to compensate but end up with similar throws. I wonder if I could eventually have a much better drive without that habit.

Any suggestions to put in the practice time and relearn my backhand without that crutch? Anybody done the same and gained distance?

I know I've seen video of at least one top pro that holds onto the disc with his off-hand into the reachback, but I forget who it was. So its possible to have a good drive while doing this.

That being said, it adds another timing variable to your drive that adds another point of failure. You may lose you a little D by not obtaining the strongest body positions in the reachback, and if you have your off-arm out during your pull then it will slow your rotation.

If I were you, I would simply work on keeping your left hand at your side the whole time and off the disc. It will feel really awkward at first, but won't take long to feel natural.
    We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

think of your body as a pendulum. as you swing back with your off hand it will come through the bottom half of your body and pull through to create continuous and fluid motion

Comment

As long as you let go of the disc before you get to the end of your reach back it shouldn't be a problem. You might be able to just guide the disc back but let go before you come to your furthest reach back point. As long as you are in good position before you start to pull forward it doesn't matter how you get there. If you want to get away from it all together I agree that trying to hold your arm at your side should work to start.
        Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

I actually recently realized I was doing the same thing. I've since gotten rid of it. It has the potential to limit your reach-back and it's just one more piece of your throw that can potentially get messed up (I would occasionally misgrab it with my left hand during my throw and it would screw the drive up). Simple is good.

Comment

the dopplermeyer knows rain

Originally posted by DoubleDees View Post
            think of your body as a pendulum. as you swing back with your off hand it will come through the bottom half of your body and pull through to create continuous and fluid motion
            So ed, did you get off work, read the title and not read the actual post before responding?
            Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

I use the two hand method with great success, but the left hand must have a purpose. I use two hands at the beginning of my pre shot routine to make certain that the disc is on the correct plane. My theory here is that the longer you can keep the disc on the correct plane, the longer it will hold that plane once released. So often I see beginners break down in their backswing - meaning that the disc comes off the plane of release/flight. This happens in two ways: The angle of the wrist wants to (naturally) collapse to a 'Hyzer' angle. This is due to the wrist wanting to return to it's natural resting position. The next part of the plane that is lost is the horizontal plane. This manifests as either lifting the disc off of the plane of release/flight during the backswing and then correcting the error by returning the disc to the correct release point coming forward. i.e. your classic air bounce. The other common error is trying to throw upwards to achieve distance i.e. your classic boomerang shot.
              By holding on as long as possible with my left hand, I feel that I am preventing my backswing from breaking down. I know that my backswing has to go back further than my left hand will allow, so I get it out of there at some point in the backswing, but knowing when to do that is a subconcious thing to me.
              "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

im off this weekend but dont want to play in the rain portland and tacoma are suppose to be rainy tomorrow which makes me not want to go to either place...

Comment

Fair weather golfer!
                  Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                    Fair weather golfer!

we get .67 inches of rainfall avg per month

Comment

I heard the forecast this morning, at least for the Seattle area, was periods of showers on Saturday and relatively clear on Sunday...at the very least, it's gotta be better than NW Dubs was.
                      Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

I think taking your left hand out of the equation would improve your consistency more than anything. Seems like an unecessary variable especially if you are thinking about it anytime during or before your throw.

The more simple things are the easier they are to repeat.

You may eventually get a longer and more fluid reach back as well but I would bet you will initially feel like your not getting as much torque on the disc since their will no longer be any counter pull
                        Read this ^

Comment

Originally posted by DMajor View Post
                          I think taking your left hand out of the equation would improve your consistency more than anything. Seems like an unecessary variable especially if you are thinking about it anytime during or before your throw.

The more simple things are the easier they are to repeat.

You may eventually get a longer and more fluid reach back as well but I would bet you will initially feel like your not getting as much torque on the disc since their will no longer be any counter pull
                          and I find it a very simple way to keep the disc on plane
                          "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

I used to do the same thing, and I think my distance and accuracy suffered for it. It was REALLY tough to get rid of the habit, but I did it and I'm better today because of it. For me, I had to focus on some other aspect of the throw, rather than what my left had was doing. After a few weeks of frustration and panic, I was throwing much better and not thinking about that left had at all. Now, I think my left hand and arm actually are working with me, rather than against me, by balancing out the throw and my body as I come through. Good luck!

Comment

Good to hear the various opinions on this. Thanks for the advice.
                              The Ombudsman probably described why I've been doing this best, but I think my version of it probably does inhibit the rest of my body from getting more involved and might keep me from being more consistent and relaxed. I'll make some adjustments and see what happens!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X