X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stats junkie

I think I am developing Insomnia. Here are some stats about the Hope Open played at Willamette Park this weekend. Here are the Pro Open scores, based on two rounds per player (24 rounds total).

I have these same stats about the two rounds that the pros played at adair during the Willamette Open, I'll work on those graphs too probably tomorrow when I get bored.

Enjoy fellow stats junkies...
    Last edited by RonTheWhip; November 4th, 2009, 02:49 AM.
    Team DISCRAFT
    NW Sign Up
    Gorilla Boy
    Paragon Disc Golf
    Odwalla

wow shane shot a 44 with two 4s on the card! nice work buddy. Dion, I really enjoy the stats so thanks for number crunching. heres to insomnia

Comment

*expression of disgust* "Junkie.... maybe a night in the slammer will teach you to appreciate a good night's sleep....." *low cop voice* "that stuff will ruin your life...." *other cops in 2nd car* "Sweet stuff this Junkie created.." "Yeah that Dude Sexton likes those birdies..."

Comment

Dion, you could try this.

From Chuck Kennedy:
        "The Coefficient of Variation (CV) for each hole is calculated by dividing the standard deviation
        of scores on a hole by its scoring average. The higher the CV, the better the hole is (in theory) for better players to demonstrate their skill because there are a wider range of scores on the hole. However, if the variance of scores is produced by luck factors on the hole versus skill, a high CV won't necessarily mean it's a better hole if the design is poor."

Comment

I think Chuck also tries to bracket players within a division by player rating averages to identify how a hole or course plays by those ranges. He is often asking for data from a group with an average rating of 1000.

So if you want to re-figure your data just take those players who as a group have a player rating of 1000.

Of course this will knock your group down to 5 people or 10 rounds and only the 983 rated and above would be included. This is probably not a significant amount of data to get an idea of how the 1000 group rated players play the course.

I think one thing to note from the data: Willamette is not a good course for 1000 rated Professionals to play in competition!!!
          PDGA #25296
          Stumptown #34

Comment

If you're going to make the effort to do the analysis, might as well do it in relation to a specific player skill level whether 1000 (bonus since it also can be referenced with SSA) or 950 for blue level which is typically the skill level of the long tees on most courses over 5500 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
              I think one thing to note from the data: Willamette is not a good course for 1000 rated Professionals to play in competition!!!
              Thanks Flash! This statement helps validate the reason I did not use Willamette Park for the Pro field in the Willy Open! Granted, the field at the WO is not 1000 rated, I still feel it applies to professional competition either way.

BTW - what did people think of two courses / two rounds once they actually played in the WO? Was anyone truely that bummed by not playing the third course?

D
              Team DISCRAFT
              NW Sign Up
              Gorilla Boy
              Paragon Disc Golf
              Odwalla

Comment

I think that not playing Adair took a little of the "specialness" out of the WO...for me.
                Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

I love stats like this. Maybe I can ask TD's at local tournaments if I can record some scorecard info to make my own.

Take Chuck's advice to make it even better, he's a numbers machine
                  We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                  Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X