Planning a trip to Portland in April, need course advice. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Planning a trip to Portland in April, need course advice.

    April is a long way off, but it's never too early to start planning. A friend and I are planning a trip to the Portland area from up in BC and I'm looking to nail down a list of courses to play. So many great looking courses and not enough time. We plan to be in the area for about 6 days so we should be able to hit up a few great courses. I know we need to play Milo McIver and Pier Park.

    Is whistlers bend worth the 3 hour drive, and if so are there other worthy courses to play on the way there and back.

    Also as a side note to Nate Sexton, if you happen to see this. I'm the guy from kamloops that played in the doubles round with Andy at the ultra glide in June. And the friend coming with me is Robbio who caddied for Dave in the tourney. You told me to post here if we were planning a trip, so here I am.

    Thanks to anyone that has any advice.
    Last edited by Chad_from_BC; November 1st, 2009, 08:13 PM. Reason: grammar
    My favourite putter is my driver.

  • #2
    My friend Chuck and I did a road trip not too long ago touring the OR courses. And yes, Pier and Milo are must plays, also add to your list Horning's Hideout. If you're not familiar, it's 3 courses on private property, with camping available. How long are you planning on taking for your trip? If you've got the time, then yes, Whistler's is definitely worth the drive. There are a good number of totally good courses along the way to play if you desire (I can soundly recommend Willamette, Adair, and Waterloo in the Albany area...and Bryant if you're prepared for a long challenge). Definitely not to miss though, if you make it that far south is Dexter outside of Eugene.

    Also, if you've got the time, north of Portland, Trojan and Lucky Mud in WA are both definitely worth your while.
    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

    Comment


    • #3
      Whistler's Bend is excellent -- the best in the state, I think -- but if you've never been to Oregon before, you could easily spend the whole trip hitting solid courses in the Portland, Salem, and Albany areas, without the extra 6 hours of driving.

      Be sure to browse DGCourseReview.com to find out more about the local courses.
      Oregon disc golf map

      Comment


      • #4
        I would recommend, McIver, Trojan, Whistlers, Adair, and Dexter. In that order! Not that the others aren't great, but the pale to those five courses, in my opinion.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bruce View Post
          I would recommend, McIver, Trojan, Whistlers, Adair, and Dexter. In that order!
          I'll be looking at maps and getting timelines down of course, but how many days do you think we could do that in ? Is that 4 days to play all those at least once or twice ? EDIT. Actually upon looking at it, it's not that far really. According to google maps, the travel time is around

          trojan
          pier park
          milo mciver (45 min)
          adair (2 hours)
          dexter (1.5 hours)
          whistlers bend (1.5 hours)

          So a total of about 6 hours drive from Pier Park to Whistlers Bend with lots of golf in between. That's a few courses a day, and the there and back with each course a few times should be about 3 days then.
          Last edited by Chad_from_BC; November 1st, 2009, 08:30 PM.
          My favourite putter is my driver.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Chad_from_BC View Post
            I'll be looking at maps and getting timelines down of course, but how many days do you think we could do that in ? Is that 4 days to play all those at least once or twice ? EDIT. Actually upon looking at it, it's not that far really. According to google maps, the travel time is around

            trojan
            pier park
            milo mciver (45 min)
            adair (2 hours)
            dexter (1.5 hours)
            whistlers bend (1.5 hours)

            So a total of about 6 hours drive from Pier Park to Whistlers Bend with lots of golf in between. That's a few courses a day, and the there and back with each course a few times should be about 3 days then.
            Yes, you can easily play those courses a few times each in four days.

            Comment


            • #7
              wicked. gonna lurk around this website a bit for the next few months. i'd really like to come up with some cool people to chill with when we're down there.
              My favourite putter is my driver.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Chad_from_BC View Post
                wicked. gonna lurk around this website a bit for the next few months. i'd really like to come up with some cool people to chill with when we're down there.
                Don't just lurk, join in and enjoy yourself. You can gain a lot of knowledge here. Where in BC are you coming from? Do you plan to camp? In an RV? Hotel? I'm sure there are some spare rooms in the area if needed. Welcome to the site and I'm sure you will have a blast while in Oregon.

                Bob

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
                  Don't just lurk, join in and enjoy yourself. You can gain a lot of knowledge here. Where in BC are you coming from? Do you plan to camp? In an RV? Hotel? I'm sure there are some spare rooms in the area if needed. Welcome to the site and I'm sure you will have a blast while in Oregon.

                  Bob
                  Im from Kamloops. It's about 3 hours north east of Vancouver. I had the pleasure of hanging out with Dave Feldberg and Melody for a couple of days playing practice rounds when he came up for our tour event in June. Also played a doubles round and had Andy Hawk for a partner, too bad Sexton and his partner beat us, heh. Nate was saying there's a lot of wicked people down there and there'd be a chance of rooming with some for sure, other than that it's probably tent time, no RV and I don't care to spend money on hotels. He's the one that told me to check out this site and what really got me wanting to hit up Oregon. It's just this year wasn't really a reality.

                  We're about 7 hours from Portland from here, and we'll be making at least a stop at Stelli on the way down. I think we're gonna try for a total of 7-8 days, so counting the 2 days of driving that leaves us with 5-6 days to take in the glory that is Oregon disc golf.
                  My favourite putter is my driver.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well, hell, if the trip is all about disc golf, then definitely go to Whistler's Bend.
                    Oregon disc golf map

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                      Well, hell, if the trip is all about disc golf, then definitely go to Whistler's Bend.
                      It's gonna be wake up, play and drive all day, sleep, repeat. For a week.
                      My favourite putter is my driver.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Depending on what day you are in the Portland area, I'd hit Milo up with you. I pretty much live there anyways!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                          Depending on what day you are in the Portland area, I'd hit Milo up with you. I pretty much live there anyways!
                          i'll definitely be hitting up the forums hard a few weeks before the trip in april when we have dates planned looking for people to hang out with.
                          My favourite putter is my driver.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Just me personally, I would go for Horning's over Trojan and play all 3 courses during the day and then a wild and trippy round of glow at night... nuts...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                              Just me personally, I would go for Horning's over Trojan and play all 3 courses during the day and then a wild and trippy round of glow at night... nuts...
                              should have time to do all those things.
                              My favourite putter is my driver.

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X