Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard courses, Mt. Tabor, etc. (was Sah-Hah-Lee)

Originally posted by keith_shupp View Post
    Sam you should go and play Camp Tadmor it is the hardest 18 hole course in Oregon and they do have some long hole like 17 its about 570ft. You must have all your disc golf skills to kick that courses butt.
    I am going to have to ask for a BS call from a referee on this comment as my buddy who never plays disc golf just got back from there and shot 1 down with a putter and a valkyrie. Now, he could have quite possibly f'd up the scoring, but I pushed him on that and he said they played all their original shots and followed the course layout and par to the letter. so, I am still going to have to give Milo the head nod for most difficult current Oregon courses, although I have not played Hagg and I hear that one can be a real mutha!
    Training to be a bagger

Originally posted by smobro View Post
    I am going to have to ask for a BS call from a referee on this comment as my buddy who never plays disc golf just got back from [Tadmor] and shot 1 down with a putter and a valkyrie.
    Yeah, Camp Tadmor is a great course, and I think it's one of the best in Oregon, but I'd never claim it was the hardest.

("BS" says the referee!)
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I am going to have to ask for a BS call from a referee on this comment as my buddy who never plays disc golf just got back from there and shot 1 down with a putter and a valkyrie. Now, he could have quite possibly f'd up the scoring, but I pushed him on that and he said they played all their original shots and followed the course layout and par to the letter. so, I am still going to have to give Milo the head nod for most difficult current Oregon courses, although I have not played Hagg and I hear that one can be a real mutha!
      Have you ever played camp Tadmor yourself he could of had a good day but I think the signs have different pars on them so ask if he played it par 3's or what the signs say. if you ask me the hardest course in Oregon whould have to be Mt. Tabor too bad it is not a basket course.
      X - Man

Comment

Mt Tabor has a course? Please explain.
        Training to be a bagger

Comment

Mt Tabor has a course? Please explain.
          There is a tree course up there we used to play all kinds of events up there with portable baskets. Carl got us started up there in the early 80"s and from there we had one to two events a year but we could not get the city to let us put baskets in. I heard that the water reservors will be replaced by new reservor up on powell butt so maybe they might let us put the course in. Tabor course is alot harder and I think longer than any of the 18 hole at Milo just ask some of the older players in the NW. Even stellie was smaller than Tabor.
          X - Man

Comment

Have you ever played camp Tadmor yourself he could of had a good day but I think the signs have different pars on them so ask if he played it par 3's or what the signs say. if you ask me the hardest course in Oregon whould have to be Mt. Tabor too bad it is not a basket course.
            Last time I played Mt. Tabor was in the snow Christmas Day 2007. I shot 49 (-5). It's really cool, but I don't think it's the hardest course in Oregon. Granted, if Tabor had baskets, it would be significantly more difficult. It's much easier to hit a big tree than cash a putt in a basket.

Having a discussion on what is the hardest course in Oregon is kind of futile without setting parameters. One of the parameters should be, in my opinion, correctly adjusted pars. Saying that Hagg lake, for instance, is a par 54 course is inaccurate. Hole 18, for one, is a par four. By "par 3" standards, Hagg might play the toughest in accordance with final +/- par scoring, but if the par were adjusted correctly, we would see it as being different.

If you want to go by old school "par 3" mentality, then Milo is obviously the winner, but that's really just due to the length of many of the holes This is why we adjust the par to more accurately depict the course.

Another thing to consider: what is difficult for one player, may not as difficult for another player, and vice-versa. Some people have built their game around a specific style of course, which would give them the advantage at said course. Some players have more trouble with thick wooded courses, while others have more problem with placement courses. It doesn't necessarily mean that one is any more or less difficult overall, but that the difficulty lies more with the golfer.

A slightly embarassing example is me. I play pretty well at Trojan, averaging around 48 (-6), but I struggle to finish under par at Dabney. For me, Dabney is way more difficult, but Trojan is pretty easy. A lot of golfers play Dabney like it's a cakewalk, but can't get away from Trojan under par.
            Last edited by gwillim; October 27th, 2009, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gwillim View Post
              Last time I played Mt. Tabor was in the snow Christmas Day 2007. I shot 49 (-5). It's really cool, but I don't think it's the hardest course in Oregon.
              The course we play for big events is not the one were you see the tree's panted. I ran the last event there back in 2001 and the best score was 3 down and we had some of the best players in the NW.It's hard to go boogey free and in all the years I have been playing it I cant remember anyone going boogey free. I do have 4 different course maps and the one that you could say is the big course is huge and very long. Someone has gone up there and sprayed tree's and change the course I know some old players who go up and play the newer course and im sure it is easy but if you played the big course and shot 5 down you would be the man.
              X - Man

Comment

The course we play for big events is not the one were you see the tree's panted. I ran the last event there back in 2001 and the best score was 3 down and we had some of the best players in the NW.It's hard to go boogey free and in all the years I have been playing it I cant remember anyone going boogey free. I do have 4 different course maps and the one that you could say is the big course is huge and very long. Someone has gone up there and sprayed tree's and change the course I know some old players who go up and play the newer course and im sure it is easy but if you played the big course and shot 5 down you would be the man.
                What no fond reminisces about the tournament/wedding conflict where the wedding party moved the basket in the middle of the tourney? The post 9-11 freak out about discs 'poisoning' the city drinking supply? The design of holes that shoot along the walking paths where you can't see if someone is coming down the path toward the tee?

I wonder why there aren't any baskets at Mt Tabor...

Doesn't mean that there couldn't be some awesome disc golf at that park, just that disc golf doesn't get to own the park to the detriment of the other park users (of which there are LEGION).

Freakin awesome thread though...
                Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                Or does here stand the last remaining man
                To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                  What no fond reminisces about the tournament/wedding conflict where the wedding party moved the basket in the middle of the tourney? The post 9-11 freak out about discs 'poisoning' the city drinking supply? The design of holes that shoot along the walking paths where you can't see if someone is coming down the path toward the tee?

I wonder why there aren't any baskets at Mt Tabor...

Doesn't mean that there couldn't be some awesome disc golf at that park, just that disc golf doesn't get to own the park to the detriment of the other park users (of which there are LEGION).

Freakin awesome thread though...
                  I'm just confused as to how it all relates to Sah-Hah-Lee and whether or not there is or will be disc golf there?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
                    I'm just confused as to how it all relates to Sah-Hah-Lee and whether or not there is or will be disc golf there?

Bob
                    Hell, I'm still not sure if Terry was talking about Sah-Hah-Lee or some other ball course just outside of Mac town now that you mention it. But any thread with a Shupp dream about Mt Tabor is a good one in my book...
                    Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                    Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                    Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                    Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                    Or does here stand the last remaining man
                    To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                    No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                    Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                    Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

I find Lake Selmac to be quite difficult...

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                        I find Lake Selmac to be quite difficult...
                        I do agree with Snap about Lake Selmac because of all those trees on each holes, and my discs keep hitting the tree everytime I throw. It does has nice view with lake in background.
                        PDGA 38506
                        ODDGA 27
                        DDGA 176
                        2012 Beaver State Fling Women ADV Master

Comment

Originally posted by gwillim View Post
                          Having a discussion on what is the hardest course in Oregon is kind of futile without setting parameters.
                          You are correct sir. In my book the correct parameters would be 'which course most completely challenges all aspects of a players game?' The answer then becomes obvious: Milo.

Comment

I live a block away from hole one of the Tabor course. More than any other, this course will kick your butt. Constant up and down the mountain, shule everywhere, always waiting for people to get outa the way... I hardly ever play up there anymore. The park is always packed with people and I almost always loose a disc or two. There is no way Mt. Tabor will ever get baskets. Sorry to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Milpond View Post
                              I live a block away from hole one of the Tabor course. More than any other, this course will kick your butt. Constant up and down the mountain, shule everywhere, always waiting for people to get outa the way... I hardly ever play up there anymore. The park is always packed with people and I almost always loose a disc or two. There is no way Mt. Tabor will ever get baskets. Sorry to say.

the day of the TDG Capt's meeting, myself an T-RY went out for a round.
                              It had been 3+ yrs since i played on the Mt.
                              i used to play it at least 1 time a month on Wed. as they close the gates to car traffic, so it keeps some of the people out.

on a couple of the hole's we either had to change where the "tee" was from the growth of the trees blocking the orig. line. On hole 4 we skipped it all together as the undergrowth and trees blocking any line to the pole was GONE as it was 1 of my Fav's.

As far baskets here sadly i do not think it will happen at least not without a lot of redesign...
                              "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X