Rainy-day practice? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rainy-day practice?

    ..
    Last edited by loocid; May 14th, 2011, 10:38 PM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by loocid View Post
    Hey all, just curious how you stay 'sharp' during the rainy season? I'm not adverse to playing a round in the rain, but I'm talking more along the lines of 'field practice'... I went out to the soccer field a few days ago and managed ok, but throwing a pile of 10 discs, it gets pretty tedious scraping off the mud, and individually drying each disc after each batch of throws- before long I'm soaked, the towels are soaked, mud everywhere, etc So I'm wondering, is there a better way?

    I'm dreaming of an old abandoned airplane hangar, a pocket full of hand warmers, a thermos of hot coffee, and a grizzled disc golfer hucking away, listening to the rain beat down on the corrugated roof... I suppose if such a place exists, it's probably top secret, and for good reason. Anyone have a spare warehouse?

    In a different thread some one mentioned throwing into a soccer net at close range for power. What about one of those nets baseball players use for batting practice? If you had a really large garage, I could see something like this working, sort of... Anyone do anything like this?

    Finally, I was picturing the old green-house at Lucky Mud. (It's sort of an upside down half-pipe shape, if that makes sense). Now technically if you had two of these, facing each other, with open ends, say 250 feet apart, you could throw from inside one, and have your discs land inside the other. You'd use an umbrella (or an underground tunnel connecting the two) to walk across through the rain, and then throw back to the other side. This may sound strange, but I used a similar concept on really hot days this summer, throwing from the huge shady patch under one tree, to the huge shady patch under my target tree. Basically you stay cool and out of the sun, except for walking across.

    Hmmm, perhaps I have too much time on my hands this morning, but thanks for reading and feel free to share your rainy-day practice secrets!
    If you can find a school with an artificial turf field it eliminates the mud factor.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
      If you can find a school with an artificial turf field it eliminates the mud factor.
      yup. many high schools have these now days. and of course universities.

      i've always thought of finding an open gym once a week for putting practice and putting games, but haven't ventured any further than my mind.
      May the wind be in your favor...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by loocid View Post
        Finally, I was picturing the old green-house at Lucky Mud. (It's sort of an upside down half-pipe shape, if that makes sense). Now technically if you had two of these, facing each other, with open ends, say 250 feet apart, you could throw from inside one, and have your discs land inside the other.
        If you're consistently landing a disc into a greenhouse that size 250' away, you probably don't need to practice.

        Comment


        • #5
          Mini basket in the living room keeps me limber all winter. Its not the putting that keeps me limber....its dodging blows from my wife when I knock her nik naks off the walls!
          A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
            Mini basket in the living room keeps me limber all winter. Its not the putting that keeps me limber....its dodging blows from my wife when I knock her nik naks off the walls!


            LOL I bet it does

            Comment


            • #7
              When I throw in the field on wet days I only bring a few discs 4 to 5 max. I like to find a turf field but if I can't I know that my practice will be limited. I will usually have more short sessions than one long one. If you want to stay out of the rain all together the towel drill works wonders.
              Take your golf towel; grab a corner, then grap the opposite corner and pull it through as if you are throwing a disc. You can hear your acceleration and the towel should be the loudest at the snap point. Advanced towel drill add another towel for added resistance. This drill helps work on balance and acceleration through your swing. You can alkso do this prior to a rainy field session to get warm so you stay drier longer.
              The wall drill is a drill I came up with to help keep the disc in astraight line close to the chest. Stand up to a wall with a disc touching your chest and the wall, step back about 4 inches max. Push the disc back in a straight line against the wall and pull through with a full swing nice and smooth with good acceleration. You should be able to pull through without hitting the wall or your chest. Make sure to complete your follow through with this drill. Start slow and work your way as close to full power as you can get. The wall gives you a straight line to follow and forces the disc to come close to the chest. You can also do this drill with a towel. Beware knuckle drag.
              Enjoy.
              Click here

              Challenge disc golf

              Comment


              • #8
                Really bad weather is a good chance to cross train. I have had a overuse shoulder and lat issue for the past month or so that has prevented me from throwing anything over a 100 feet without significant pain. That combined with the weather has motivated me to go outside and run and go inside to the gym to play basketball and lift weights all of which have a very positive impact on my disc golf game.
                Read this ^

                Comment


                • #9
                  Lake Stevens is a great place to play when it is raining. Trees cover a majority of the course and you stay pretty dry underneath them. The only holes you get exposed to the elements on are 1, 18 and 19. The rest are in the trees and fairly dry. Like I said, its a good place to play when the rain comes.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
                    When I throw in the field on wet days I only bring a few discs 4 to 5 max. I like to find a turf field but if I can't I know that my practice will be limited. I will usually have more short sessions than one long one. If you want to stay out of the rain all together the towel drill works wonders.
                    Take your golf towel; grab a corner, then grap the opposite corner and pull it through as if you are throwing a disc. You can hear your acceleration and the towel should be the loudest at the snap point. Advanced towel drill add another towel for added resistance. This drill helps work on balance and acceleration through your swing. You can alkso do this prior to a rainy field session to get warm so you stay drier longer.
                    The wall drill is a drill I came up with to help keep the disc in astraight line close to the chest. Stand up to a wall with a disc touching your chest and the wall, step back about 4 inches max. Push the disc back in a straight line against the wall and pull through with a full swing nice and smooth with good acceleration. You should be able to pull through without hitting the wall or your chest. Make sure to complete your follow through with this drill. Start slow and work your way as close to full power as you can get. The wall gives you a straight line to follow and forces the disc to come close to the chest. You can also do this drill with a towel. Beware knuckle drag.
                    Enjoy.
                    I can say for sure the towel drill works very well, Chris taught me this and I have used it for warming up and for waits during tournament play to keep warm as well. If you are a fair weather golfer the towel drill works wonders during the rainy season just to keep your throwing motion going so you don't lose a whole lot during the winter. I haven't tried the wall drill yet this sounds a little like that knife game where you put your hand on the table and stab in between your fingers really fast, lol, it sounds dangerous but I'm going to give it a try and see how it works, Chris hasn't let me down with suggestions yet.

                    Originally posted by BigBubbBelly View Post
                    Lake Stevens is a great place to play when it is raining. Trees cover a majority of the course and you stay pretty dry underneath them. The only holes you get exposed to the elements on are 1, 18 and 19. The rest are in the trees and fairly dry. Like I said, its a good place to play when the rain comes.
                    This is very true, Lake Stevens becomes my most played course this time of year because of this. The bog gets really deep and the dirt teepads sometimes get filled with rain water but still it's better than any other course in less than pristine conditions.
                    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

                    ~ Cyndi Lauper ~

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      NAD park is another great course for the rainy weather. The course plays inside an old growth forest and most holes have two concrete tee pads and multipe pin placements.

                      If you haven't made it out to the West Sound, plan a day trip and play the six courses on the Kitsap Peninsula. (Volunteer Park, Dalaiwood, Van Zee park, NAD park, Kitsap Fairgrounds, Fredrickson)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I practice in a garage, putting... ofc the basket is in the garage, for the first 10-15 feet i'm inside the garage, but once i get farther than that then i'm exposed to the weather, but keep the discs insdie, bring 3 discs at a time out and putt out, go back in, sure i get wet, but not as much until i putt farther out. Get about 50-150 putts per session a few times a week, usually find gaps in the weather to get 20 minutes of putting in before weather turns again. I'm going to get a net and nail it to the walls opposite eachother for driving practice in the garage, the nets will be able to put up and take down between sessions...

                        I haven't tried this, but I would think a ball golf driving range would be a good place to go if there arent many people out there, you could offer to pay a few bucks to use their range, at least you be dry teeing off and the cement or turf would be good traction? anyone try this?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Dreaming of giant buildings.......

                          I have a friend that lives just down the street from the new Virginia Mason Athletic Center. I drive by the building alot.
                          For you Portlanders, this is the new home for the Seahawks, and the second biggest training facility in the NFL.
                          Inside one building is full size regulation football field.
                          Thats 360' long, 160' feet wide, and it's 95' tall, with no wind.

                          Plus the walls have to be impervious to getting smashed on with footballs, so a frisbee should be non damaging. I wonder what it sounds like when you peg the wall between the uprights on the opposite end of the field. Does the crowd go wild ?

                          I keep trying to get my friend to rent it for a birthday party, but so far the attempts have been unsuccessful.
                          The players dont use it every day, I dont see why it couldnt be put to good use.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I may be the weird one here, but to me the best way to practice during the bad weather is to not be a pu$$y and get your ass out in the rain/snow/whatever.

                            Those of us who played Stumptown Slosh 3 last year were the hardest of hardcore. 4-5 inches of snow when we began, and 5-6 more came own while playing. Now thats the way to keep your game up in the winter



                            All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by captain jack View Post
                              I have a friend that lives just down the street from the new Virginia Mason Athletic Center. I drive by the building alot.
                              For you Portlanders, this is the new home for the Seahawks, and the second biggest training facility in the NFL.
                              Inside one building is full size regulation football field.
                              Thats 360' long, 160' feet wide, and it's 95' tall, with no wind.

                              Plus the walls have to be impervious to getting smashed on with footballs, so a frisbee should be non damaging. I wonder what it sounds like when you peg the wall between the uprights on the opposite end of the field. Does the crowd go wild ?

                              I keep trying to get my friend to rent it for a birthday party, but so far the attempts have been unsuccessful.
                              The players dont use it every day, I dont see why it couldnt be put to good use.
                              I don't think that friend is going to be renting it out for disc golf anytime soon. That would be awesome if you befriended the staff and they let you come in and throw.
                              Read this ^

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X