big name sponsors Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • big name sponsors

    Would you like to see large companies from outside the disc golf community start sponsoring our events? Would you like to continue trying to expand from the inside out? This discussion was briefly started in another thread but I would like to see what others think.
    Click here

    Challenge disc golf

  • #2
    I can't think of a better source of exposure.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think great things have happened already with this...the two most notable examples that come to mind are Keen with BSF, and Vibram for the Vibram Open. Not only were they "outside" companies, but both are making steps into the disc golf world--Keen with their "Milo" shoe due to come out soon, and Vibram with their new putters.
      Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Tim View Post
        I think great things have happened already with this...the two most notable examples that come to mind are Keen with BSF, and Vibram for the Vibram Open. Not only were they "outside" companies, but both are making steps into the disc golf world--Keen with their "Milo" shoe due to come out soon, and Vibram with their new putters.
        these companies are not disc golf companies but their products do represent equipment used by golfers. Their products might not have been aimed at disc golfers to begin with but we used them before they came into our world.
        I am talking about a pepsi or a taco bell or an Xbox. Companies whose products are not needed to complete a round of golf. True outsiders.
        Click here

        Challenge disc golf

        Comment


        • #5
          I think we should continue to seek out big name sponsors that have relations one way or another to disc golf. Vibram is on half our shoes, keen is another shoe company. I want to see nike, adidas or under armour make a dg clothing line, preferably under armour ofc... vitamin water and monster are other ideas..

          Comment


          • #6
            Both Vitamin Water and Monster are Coke products.
            A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

            Comment


            • #7
              Fine, whatever, but I don't want pop associated with the sport, but vitamin water and energy drinks, sure....

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                Fine, whatever, but I don't want pop associated with the sport, but vitamin water and energy drinks, sure....
                So you want big sponsors but you also want to be picky about which ones are associated with the sport? I think you should take whatever you get.

                Comment


                • #9
                  We had Solomon, adidas, GI Joes & New Belgium as sponsors for the NW Am Series in '04.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This sport is not big enough to be picky just take what ever you get. It would be nice to maybe try Safeway or costco. You can even try to get a lowes or home depot to get on board. I would just make a standard request letter and send it out to who you would like to have as a sponsor.

                    There is two answers yes and no and you dont know until you try. I have been doing this for a long time and have ask alot of company's to sponsor disc golf and have had most say no.The ones who say yes are about 1 out of 10 so you have to take the one that says yes no matter what.
                    X - Man

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't think there is a big market for companies to sponsor events that they will get zero return on. The whole idea behind sponsorship is advertising and supporting the demographic that use your products. We need to show a return for the companies that are sponsors. Don't get me wrong, any sponsor is a good sponsor, but we need to be thinking about those that are in the sport and will get a return on their investment before thinking of outside sponsores with no ties to disc golf. Shoe companies absolutely, there is even a thread on this forum about which shoes are best for golf. Beverage companies, absolutely. I don't play a round without at least 2 drinks of some sort. Beer companies, absolutely, I love me a frosty bevy after a day in the park!
                      A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The hardest part about sponsorship that I've found, is retaining them. I've had decent luck with single use, local business around here. But getting them on board for the long term is very hard. How do you pitch DG and promise a return?
                        A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by keith_shupp View Post
                          This sport is not big enough to be picky just take what ever you get. It would be nice to maybe try Safeway or costco. You can even try to get a lowes or home depot to get on board. I would just make a standard request letter and send it out to who you would like to have as a sponsor.

                          There is two answers yes and no and you dont know until you try. I have been doing this for a long time and have ask alot of company's to sponsor disc golf and have had most say no.The ones who say yes are about 1 out of 10 so you have to take the one that says yes no matter what.
                          The problem with "BIG" business like these, is you can't just go to a local store and ask them to get on board. You have to get online and put in a generic application. There is no face time, its just another application from somebody in the community wanting something! And showing a ROI to them is next to immpossible.
                          A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
                            The problem with "BIG" business like these, is you can't just go to a local store and ask them to get on board. You have to get online and put in a generic application. There is no face time, its just another application from somebody in the community wanting something! And showing a ROI to them is next to immpossible.
                            Especially when there are no spectators.
                            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Tim View Post
                              Especially when there are no spectators.
                              Ding, ding, ding. this is the right answer.
                              We have to make the sport spectator friendly and market to folks who would come out to an event and watch it.

                              For instance; At the BSF this year, why don't we reconfigure the course layout, so that the finishing holes are in an area where a spectator can park, tailgate and watch several holes within a short distance of the comfort of their car. like the Milo east parking area where hole 1 east is in the regular layout? A person could easily see lots of great golf from there and a "Stadium" layout with bleachers on the 18th green would be really awesome. Maybe the first year you charge admission for the final pro round? Have lots of food vendors. Beer vendors would be awesome if they are allowed. have stuff for the kids to do like the mini course free disc golf clinics on days that the public will be attending. Then the marketing has to be specifically geared to spectators. Could we even have an autograph session with the winner afterward? lots of ideas.
                              Training to be a bagger

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X