Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are All Just Discs in the Wind

Hey All
    Another question and observation for you .
    First off the wind kicked up hard today. I went to throw after work and watched the wind knock my drivers and mids around. I threw at various angles to the wind as well to try to get a feel for the effects. Is this where you all would use a roller shot to drive or is there a trick to wind throwing? I do know that the lower the shot the better it flew.
    My unscientific observation is as follows. I recently bought and started throwing a Buzz midrange. After some help from you all it is starting to fly right. I also decided to buy a Roc and give it a try as well. While I like both I noticed that in the strong wind today the Roc was hands down the better flying disc.
    Thanks
    Super Deluxe

The Roc has a smaller diameter/less surface area, so that would make sense. While my usual experience with my FLX Buzzzes is mostly positive, I've never really gotten a handle on the Roc. I'm more likely to use a predictable driver to approach in the wind. My FLX surge is my usual choice. I'll even use it instead of the Buzzz when my shot is too short for a good Buzzz shot, as the Buzzz becomes extremely overstable at less than a full pull. Taking off some speed with the FLX Surge gives me a shot that I find more predictable. It blew hard here today, so this is fresh in my mind. My 23 holes were one stroke over my average. Keeping my shots low is pretty much a way of life for me, wind or not.
    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Deluxe View Post
      Hey All
      Another question and observation for you .
      First off the wind kicked up hard today. I went to throw after work and watched the wind knock my drivers and mids around. I threw at various angles to the wind as well to try to get a feel for the effects. Is this where you all would use a roller shot to drive or is there a trick to wind throwing? I do know that the lower the shot the better it flew.
      My unscientific observation is as follows. I recently bought and started throwing a Buzz midrange. After some help from you all it is starting to fly right. I also decided to buy a Roc and give it a try as well. While I like both I noticed that in the strong wind today the Roc was hands down the better flying disc.
      Thanks
      Super Deluxe
      It may have been due to the Roc being slightly more stable than the buzz. I've found using more overstable plastic helps me out in the wind. Throwing understable plastic requires finesse that is nearly impossible for me to achieve in heavy wind.
      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

headwind = throw a stable disc
        tailwind = throw something flippy
        A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
          crosswind = cross your fingers
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Crosswind - low and flat.

I find with my RHBH, a right to left crosswind to be a flipping wind, and the left to right, not so much. If the leading edge is spinning into the wind, it's more like a headwind.

Comment

Agreed - although I would say, tailwind - flippy, all other angles (in heavy wind) throw something overstable.

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post

Comment

Now admittedly, I don't have a strong throw, but if I toss something too overstable in a right-to-left crosswind, it's going to the stable side soon. I have to find a disc that won't break into its fade, because as soon as it does, that right-to-left wind gets under it and, bye bye disc. I think I'll learn everything there is to know about playing in wind in another twenty years or so.

Comment

Crosswind= be damn careful with a roller.

Getting the flight plate perpendicular to the ground, no matter the direction of the wind, usually produces seriously undesirable side effects that make rolling too dangerous an option on a breezy day.

Which is too bad, because I think rollers are fun to watch and throw.
                  The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
                    Crosswind= be damn careful with a roller.

Getting the flight plate perpendicular to the ground, no matter the direction of the wind, usually produces seriously undesirable side effects that make rolling too dangerous an option on a breezy day.

Which is too bad, because I think rollers are fun to watch and throw.
                    I love watching somebody else's roller go skipping from side to side as it rolls down the fairway.

Notice I said "somebody else's".

Comment

I still find it amazing that so many DGers struggle with the wind. Being an old schooler used to getting a huge ultimate or freestyle disc to use the wind, it was an easy transition to dg. That is not to say I have tons of control at times, it means I don't dread a windy day. Take today, I'm headed to Pier and I can't wait to fly the gusts.
                      educate your thinking

Comment

Well said JMan.
                        Back in the olden days, we had no concept of 'stable' or 'flippy' In the wind, everything is flippy. The only answer to truly conquering the wind is to throw with hell'a extra spin and a ton more hyzer than you know.
                        For most folks, throwing with extra spin immediately equates to throwing with more velocity. Throwing a blunt edge disc such as a roc or buzz will allow a thrower to manually impart spin on a disc using hypersupination of the wrist, while controlling velocity with arm speed. This is the way we used to throw old school plastic. The new beveled edge discs cause the thrower to use more of a slingshot type of release. This causes more of a one to one relationship between arm speed and spin.
                        My advice here is to simply work on increasing the amount of spin on your throws without increasing the velocity and then increase the Hyzer accordingly. That is where true control comes from. Once you get this down, you will be amazed at the insane anhyzers you will be capable of throwing when there is no wind!
                        "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
                          Being an old schooler used to getting a huge ultimate or freestyle disc to use the wind, it was an easy transition to dg.
                          True Dat! On an extremely windy day, gather a few friends, find an open field, and play a couple hours of Ultimate!

It may not help your disc golf game, but it will remind you what your quads and hamstrings are for.

Comment

In the wind you'll find out if you know how to throw a true hyzer that's for sure. I actually like playing in moderate wind. Not that it helps my score but it's a different challenge for sure.

Comment

Hey All
                              Thanks for all your input. It sounds like a roller would not be a good option in heavy wind. I play Vance a fair amount and it is not a real long course. However when that famous eastside wind kicks in I imagine it could make it seem long and tough. I am looking forward to the challenge.
                              When I was throwing the other day in the wind I tried to hyzer or anhyzer it depending on the wind trying to make the disc hold a straight line. I found the wind would just push the down side of the disc down and ground it.
                              It sounds like throwing with extra spin is the way to go? How about compensating for crosswinds. Would you throw a low shot with extra spin but just aim it into the wind a given amount to account for the winds push?
                              Last but not least I did not mean to start a Buzz/Roc thing, I just thought it was kind of interesting how different they flew given the conditions.
                              Super Deluxe

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X