Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailwind, kept the trailing edge up so the wind lifts the disc.
    Headwind throw low and flat.

I have my own ideas on how to utilize cross winds to increase distance.
    Like with a tailwind, I think the disc flies farther with the rim tipped up into the flow, creating lift.

I think the general curve of the disc flight should end with the wind helping the disc, not pushing it down.
    So, for a right hand back hand, a wind coming from right to left should help.
    If the wind is the opposite,left to right, then throw a forehand drive for the best carry.
    Reverse this for lefties.

Comment

Captain Jack, I tend to disagree slightly. A left to right crosswind will add more distance (generally speaking) for a RHBH. If you are going for true distance, if you throw a disc that turns over it will help create lift and hold the turn, the tail wind helping add stability as the disc loses speed and comes out of the turn. At least this is the case for me when I am working on pure distance and not accuracy while practicing.

Comment

IMO wind is the toughest element to golf in. I don't mind the cold and wet so much, but 10 foot putts seem like a mile to me in a strong wind.
        A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

One thing that I agree with is the Cap'n's advice about keeping it low into the wind.

Remember, the natural behavior of a spinning object in the air is for it to hit the ground and roll.

The more spin an object has, the faster it wants to roll. Compensate by increasing Hyzer.

Golf discs are designed to actually defy gravity - that is, they go to the ground at a skip angle (Hyzer, or overstable rather than a roll angle (Understable, or 'anHyzer') (I hate that bastardized word) To get these discs to flip, it takes an incredible amount of spin.

Hence, the laws of physics tell us that more spin and more hyzer = more distance/stability

I always tell newbs that true power comes from massive Hyzer
          "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

I wish I had the arm speed to apply that.
            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

A great way to develop arm speed is to throw as hard as you can at extremely close range, i.e. Guts. The deal here is not accuracy. When you throw with wild abandon, you will be very wild. Big arms make big mistakes. My old piano teacher Jack Wheaton used to say that you will never learn to play fast unless you practice playing fast. Forget about making mistakes, he would tell me. just let'er rip!
              I suggest throwing at a soccer net to save you having to chase down all those wild throws. Pretend you are trying to break glass or dent metal.

Comment

Or go out to the parking lot and play fer realz.

Comment

And I would certainly neither advocate destruction of property nor violence against another person. That is why I didn't suggest the OddJob throw....

Comment

Did Odd Job play 150 class?

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                      Did Odd Job play 150 class?
                      I dunno but he had horrible throwing form even though you can't argue with the results.
                      Panda...it's what's for dinner!

Team Deucebag

Comment

Who makes the Hat? Just doesn't look like a good wind disc.

Comment

meteor

Originally posted by Getty View Post
                          I dunno but he had horrible throwing form even though you can't argue with the results.
                          I think he had a cameo on a 1979 pre-make of Deep Impact. So maybe throws a bit larger hat...
                          Last edited by Weatherman; October 17th, 2009, 10:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Gilette
                            Panda...it's what's for dinner!

Team Deucebag

Comment

Probably Quest AT.

Comment

Originally posted by T-what? View Post
                                Probably Quest AT.
                                and once it is perfected, Discrap will come up with a cheap knock off

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X