X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about Am's playing Pro

Im running the Oregon Master cup next summer and this event is for Pro players only but it is a non-Pdga event. I want to know what players think of people who play Am for Pdga events but will play Pro for non-Pdga event. This has been a issue for years and I think its a little shady when a player will bump up when its a non-Pdga. Im thinking of having players who play this event be true Pro players only and maybe not allow Am players bump up to pro because its a non-Pdga event.

What do you think.?
    X - Man

Originally posted by keith_shupp View Post
    What do you think.?
    I think it sounds a little elitist.

What's wrong with an AM testing the waters in a non PDGA event?

Comment

In most other sports when you go pro there is no turning back, I see no reason why disc golf should be any different.
      Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Figures, Shupp's scared of an Am kickin' his tail at his own tourney...

Comment

"true Pro players"...I don't get it. What, by definition, is a "true Pro player"???? How many sanctioned pro tourneys do they need to play to be true? Do they need to have cashed in pro to be true? Do they have to be over/under a certain rating to be true?? I think I need better detail on what a "true Pro player" is...If a pro who has accepted cash but is under 970 rated drops to AM at a certain event, which the pdga says is ok, does that not make them a "true Pro player" anymore??? Explain please!!!!
          Victorious warriors win first then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win

Comment

i agree with Scott,

if its not part of the PDGA then whos to say what player is pro caliber and whos not? it is the perfect time for somebody to see what it is like playing up a level. i dont think it would be right to try and regulate the players, and tell somebody like Eric Lund for instance "sorry you cant play pro becuase you play Advanced for the PDGA".
            Team HOSER:dancing:
            Team OLY:cheerleader:
            Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Originally posted by keith_shupp View Post
              Im running the Oregon Master cup next summer and this event is for Pro players only but it is a non-Pdga event. I want to know what players think of people who play Am for Pdga events but will play Pro for non-Pdga event. This has been a issue for years and I think its a little shady when a player will bump up when its a non-Pdga. Im thinking of having players who play this event be true Pro players only and maybe not allow Am players bump up to pro because its a non-Pdga event.

What do you think.?
              Sorry, but I don't think this makes any sense. To me the terms "Pro" and "Am" in disc golf only have meaning in the context of the PDGA. There is no such thing as Pro or Am in non-PDGA. A player can win hundreds of $ in non-PDGA and the PDGA doesn't know or even care about it. The player can then play Am all they want...win Am worlds and everything.

Comment

If you are going to have a "Pro Only" event it will undoubtedly attract some interest from AM players. To ensure the pro players do not get frozen out of their own tourney, I would suggest that you open registration in phases. The first one month long phase of registration would only allow PDGA registered pros to sign up. After that initial month then you can open up registration to anyone and everyone. If the Pros can't get their act together within that first month then that is their problem.

What should not happen is AMs filling up a Pro event to the point where interested Pros cannot get in.

Just take a look at what happened to last years BSF. The AM side filled up so fast that a lot of AMs started signing up on the Pro side and a lot of pros could not get in. (FYI: Pros pay considerably higher renewal fees to the PDGA so they should get preference in a "Pro" event.)

PS: Keith... SANCTION THIS EVENT WITH THE PDGA!!!! The insurance aspect alone is easily worth the additional money.
                "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Let whoever wants to play, play. "True Pro's" as it were would prefer to see a full field of golfers than anything else. More players = more money
                  Team DISCRAFT
                  NW Sign Up
                  Gorilla Boy
                  Paragon Disc Golf
                  Odwalla

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    I think it sounds a little elitist.

What's wrong with an AM testing the waters in a non PDGA event?
                    Yeah, what he said!

Bob

Comment

Stirring the pot agian, I see.

Comment

Many times, in my experience, the non pdga tourneys generally have a weaker field than those sanctioned by the PDGA. A decent Am might just believe he (or she) can do well against a pro field of lesser caliber. I discount the theory of someone doing this just to dodge the PDGA. I mean, how many true sandbagging amateurs are there who can (consistently) win as a pro at any given tournament?
                        Most sandbagging Ams I know will be chided into going pro and staying pro, eventually...
                        "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

I think that your thoughts are backwards on this. Any am that wants to move up should be encouraged. Not sure what the problem is?
                          Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

If Jeff Elliott moves up for this tourney, can you see if you can keep him there permanently? He's killing us here in Ams... You can also keep Paul Wright as well...Good luck against them.

Comment

To me a true pro player is someone who steps up and declares there self a pro player not if they won money or what there rating is. Why I started this was for two reasons one is those players who play am for years and will only jump to pro because its a non-Pdga events. there are players in our area who have played am for 10 years even some have played for 20 years(sand bag for ever). The second Bullseye brought up and that it will fill up and true pro's wont be able to sign up because of all the am's.

I have $2500 added cash already for payout and my goals is $5,000 which I will know by the end of the year. Im doing this event for the true Pro's players I want to see open pro, pro masters and pro grandmasters come out and play for some serious money and not have to deal with the cry baby am divisions getting in our way. Its time to seperate the men from the boys so if you are not a true pro player I dont want you to sign up just stay in your division. But if you think your ready make the move and declare yourself a true pro then you are welcome to sign up. Im only taking a 144 players for this event and if I dont get enough true pro's to sign up then thats okay I dont have to fill the rest of the field with want a be's who will just go back to playing am. We need to have more just pro events and it would be nice to see the Oregon pdga events step up and do this because you would see more pro's play again.
                              X - Man

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X