Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smobro Some of the things you are talking about make good sense but this sport is not ready for that level or money yet. we still have more baby steps to go before we can start setting playing level standards. Also to get the big dollars from sponsor and to be on TV you have to take on the big monster in the room and that is the Drug's. I hate to say this and I know some people will hate to hear this but you need drug testing and standards that would make the the sport more professional.
    X - Man

Comment

Originally posted by keith_shupp View Post
      Smobro Some of the things you are talking about make good sense but this sport is not ready for that level or money yet. we still have more baby steps to go before we can start setting playing level standards. Also to get the big dollars from sponsor and to be on TV you have to take on the big monster in the room and that is the Drug's. I hate to say this and I know some people will hate to hear this but you need drug testing and standards that would make the the sport more professional[
      NOW you and I are on the same page. To get to THAT level this is going to have to happen. Maybe we don't like it, but it is inevitable.

Bob

Comment

And of course, no one wants this to become a discussion about drug laws.

Isn't it amazing how the corporate voice controls public thought?
        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
          And of course, no one wants this to become a discussion about drug laws.

Isn't it amazing how the corporate voice controls public thought?
          Interlude

Whats up Bob? Thanks for kicking our butts yesterday. you were a great guide and I can't wait to get back to the Mud. I will try to give you some competition this time.
          Training to be a bagger

Comment

Smobro Some of the things you are talking about make good sense but this sport is not ready for that level or money yet. we still have more baby steps to go before we can start setting playing level standards. Also to get the big dollars from sponsor and to be on TV you have to take on the big monster in the room and that is the Drug's. I hate to say this and I know some people will hate to hear this but you need drug testing and standards that would make the the sport more professional.
            There is no monster in the room. A player is not allowed to do illegal drugs or use alcohol during the round in a sanctioned PDGA event. There is no argument there. The sanctioning body of the sport makes the rules. If a person does not want to play by those rules then they are welcome to play non-PDGA events.

I know lots of pros who are exemplary, follow the rules, and would take Disc Golf seriously as a career. TV, big sponsorships and peer pressure would quickly weed (no pun intended) out the rule breakers.

And, if the prize money and endorsements were bigger, we would see athletes in other sports start to cross over. Imagine how far a guy like Andy Roddick could throw a disc if they were pros? My gosh, the talent pool would be rediculous and the game would change dramatically. Guys would be doing things unthinkable to todays standards. I love to see any sport change and get to the next level. Look what happened with MJ and basketball, Tiger and Golf, Federer and tennis, Usain Bolt and sprinting, etc.

Think big. Dream bigger.
            Training to be a bagger

Comment

Originally posted by smobro View Post
              I am sure Dion, Nate, or Feldberg would just think it was a hoot to watch me throw three shots into the pond on #1. Then throw OB on #2 and 3 putt from 40 feet. Yeah, I bet they would be totally cool with that. Come to think of it, the guys I play with now don't really care much for it and they are not the elite in this game.
              Actually, I'm suprisingly OK with that. Feel free to throw OB and into water as often as you like when we play. Three putt the day away; just be sure to bring your tag first.

Comment

Originally posted by smobro View Post
                There is no monster in the room. A player is not allowed to do illegal drugs or use alcohol during the round in a sanctioned PDGA event. There is no argument there. The sanctioning body of the sport makes the rules. If a person does not want to play by those rules then they are welcome to play non-PDGA events.

I know lots of pros who are exemplary, follow the rules, and would take Disc Golf seriously as a career. TV, big sponsorships and peer pressure would quickly weed (no pun intended) out the rule breakers.

And, if the prize money and endorsements were bigger, we would see athletes in other sports start to cross over. Imagine how far a guy like Andy Roddick could throw a disc if they were pros? My gosh, the talent pool would be rediculous and the game would change dramatically. Guys would be doing things unthinkable to todays standards. I love to see any sport change and get to the next level. Look what happened with MJ and basketball, Tiger and Golf, Federer and tennis, Usain Bolt and sprinting, etc.

Think big. Dream bigger.
                Yes the rules are in place but there is no drug testing that is what some sponsor look for is the proof that players are not on drugs all pro sports do this.even the PGA test am players and with the rep disc golf has that would be the next best thing they could do to prove disc golf is on the right path.

College has started disc golf teams and in 5 to 10 years you will see better and more talented players picking up the sport but to think that you could get Tiger woods level players to switch sports is about 20 to 30 more years. It has taken disc golf 30+ years to get to where were at now. But your right its good to think big and dream bigger.
                X - Man

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  Actually, I'm suprisingly OK with that. Feel free to throw OB and into water as often as you like when we play. Three putt the day away; just be sure to bring your tag first.
                  Training to be a bagger

Comment

Unless something cahnged and I wasnt aware of it...quite a few years ago the PDGA became a "Signatory Member" of the WADA (World Anti-doping Agency)
                    ALL of the Disc Golfers that played at the World Games in Japan were tested.

I have seen FAR to many sponsors AND their $ go away after taking a stroll thru the parking lot of an event at Lunch break.

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
                      Unless something cahnged and I wasnt aware of it...quite a few years ago the PDGA became a "Signatory Member" of the WADA (World Anti-doping Agency)
                      ALL of the Disc Golfers that played at the World Games in Japan were tested.

I have seen FAR to many sponsors AND their $ go away after taking a stroll thru the parking lot of an event at Lunch break.

I have lost sponsor too and this has happen here in Oregon a few times. I know a sponsor that was at the Beaver state fling two years ago that showed up with his boss and they walk around during break and took pictures. They showed them to me the following week and sure info there were players smoking out in the open in groups. They also took a picture of someone selling glass pipes. Some of the players in the picture were people I know and I wont say names or the sponsor name. This sponsor was sponsoring the super tour they had pictures from other states just not Oregon. I told them this is not all players and its against the rules and there first question do they drug test the players and I said no and then they said this is not a good sport for us to sponsor any more. That Hurt because they gave thousands of dollars and could of become alot more the next year.
                      X - Man

Comment

They also took a picture of someone selling glass pipes.
                        That would be , Glass "Art"...and completely legal in MOST states...until its used for illegal purposes.

Comment

So whats this thread really about Am's playing pro or the short comings of both DG and it's possible sponsors.

It seems to me that there are two sides to this The competition during the round and the socialization between rounds. I can tell you I pick up more beer cans than any three other things combined. Maybe we should go after NormL as a sponsor at least we (some of us) already support their agenda.
                          rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
                            That would be , Glass "Art"...and completely legal in MOST states...until its used for illegal purposes.

I know its legal here in oregon but to a sponsor what do you think they thought after seeing the smoking going on too.
                            X - Man

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                              So whats this thread really about Am's playing pro or the short comings of both DG and it's possible sponsors.

It seems to me that there are two sides to this The competition during the round and the socialization between rounds. I can tell you I pick up more beer cans than any three other things combined. Maybe we should go after NormL as a sponsor at least we (some of us) already support their agenda.
                              Washington needs a 5 cent deposit law on beer cans and bottle Jub because when I lived up there they were all over the place just walk down I-5 and see all the cans even the side streets up there you can find them. Oregon helps people make a living cleaning up our roads and parks.

We are talking about what will help make the sport better and to get good sponsors. I know were off track of the topic I started but this is another issue that needs to come out and be adressed. Im tired of hearing from friends and other people I play disc golf and the first thing they say oh the smoking sport.
                              X - Man

Comment

Well, why don't we all just light up a cigarette, chug an energy drink and chill for a bit? Anyone got some chocolate? Did you know that dairy contains endorphins and opioid peptides? We go where the politics tell us to. Everyone is ready to judge and draw their own lines. So, it comes down in small part to our experience, and in large part to our influences. Something to think about, is all.

As ever, most of the ill effects of certain discussed substances are resultant of prohibitions, legal and social. Ask, "who benefits?" There will be the underlying forces who care what you think for what it will gain them.
                                The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X