Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally have no problem with a TD getting a feel for things, however there was not much tact or class in the way the "inquiry" was done by the TD. I would've expected more from a TD myself...BUT, to answer Snap, I do constantly work on my inconsistent play all the time (this is the reason I am still an Adv player) and can bring some trophies from Int and Adv divisions if this will buy me the coveted "true Pro" title for this event...do my opinions strike me from getting the secret decoder ring??
    Victorious warriors win first then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
      It doesn't sound like anybodys getting a feel for the community views to me. It sounds like facist, Amature golfer bashing! What a PROFESSIONAL DOUCHE BAG!
      Olydiscgolf your wrong im getting some good community views on this forum and from phone calls too. thanks for your input and sorry you think Im a douchebag. I will lose sleep tonight because some of you are calling me names that just hurts.
      X - Man

Comment

One person is a vegan, the other a vegetarian, the other a lacto-vegetarian, the other a carnivore... each has their own approach to life, none are correct, none are wrong, just different approaches to the same goal...

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
          It doesn't sound like anybodys getting a feel for the community views to me. It sounds like facist, Amature golfer bashing! What a PROFESSIONAL DOUCHE BAG!
          Brian? I didn't know you moved to Olyland, sigh, mods, ban this dude again please....

Comment

Originally posted by keith_shupp View Post
            I will lose sleep tonight because some of you are calling me names that just hurts.
            How much sleep can you really loose at your age? Don't you only sleep for like 5 hours as is.....up before 4pm......get to IHOP for coffee with the boys by 5am........Matlock at 11pm.......Perry Mason at 12pm........chair aerobics at 4pm......etc....

Comment

RAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I hear there is going to be a HYZER PINES tourney next year? AWESOME! Can't wait to get some revenge on the Stump hole!!!!!!
              Do I have to be a Pro to play in the Advanced Masters? Elliott? Reichard? did you catch that?
              Training to be a bagger

Comment

One way to get the high quality field that you are pursuing would be to make the event an invitational. Make a list of the players from Oregon and Washington who play tournaments in Open, masters and grandmasters, add to them the players with higher ratings from the am divisions, throw in a list of touring players (you can dream can't you). That way it's an achievement just to play. One more suggestion. Make it a one division tournament ala the USDGC!

Comment

Im sorry that am players got hurt by my joking around most of the replys were good info. am and advance players dont get me wrong Im not putting you down because you dont move up when I started playing there was one division for years then came am. now we have a division for everything am and when you play events you have very few pro's signed up and its because of many reasons. There are those few am players who never move up and just stay am for years (10 to 20 years) those were the am players im talking about. I also believe if you play advance and decide to play pro at a event you do have the right but if you just do it for non-Pdga events then go back to advance then I think your wrong. You learn more jumping to pro sooner than if you stay am for a long time because you play with better players and learn at a faster pace.
                  X - Man

Comment

Ive played am for several years and loved it, but i realized it was time to step up due to the fact that i love this sport and im competitive..........i love the challenge. I was a 930 rated player going pro and now im 970+ because of that. I may never be a 1000 rated player........in fact, i just recently went back down to 950 due to one tournament and just got back up again. I understand what keith is saying and maybe he should have the tournament sanctioned, but should we really get this upset over it. I seem to end a lot of threads when i post, but i think it will happen this time...........a 'true pro' could be defined by a player playing pro and only pro after stepping up and never going back ever!!!

Ps please dont bash me.........just my opinion........im really a nice guy.
                    WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

Originally posted by SPIDER-DAN View Post
                      Ive played am for several years and loved it, but i realized it was time to step up due to the fact that i love this sport and im competitive..........i love the challenge. I was a 930 rated player going pro and now im 970+ because of that. I may never be a 1000 rated player........in fact, i just recently went back down to 950 due to one tournament and just got back up again. I understand what keith is saying and maybe he should have the tournament sanctioned, but should we really get this upset over it. I seem to end a lot of threads when i post, but i think it will happen this time...........a 'true pro' could be defined by a player playing pro and only pro after stepping up and never going back ever!!!

Ps please dont bash me.........just my opinion........im really a nice guy.
                      Haha, Dan...that was good.

I'm stoked for this event personally. How many tournaments can say they have raised 2500 and are only half way to their goal? None, thats how many (excluding BSF). I have already started plans for the Willamette Open A Tier next September, and I am also looking into how I can encourage more Pro players to attend. I however will not be excluding Ams from playing pro, since it will be a great oppertunity to play with some big dogs.

Andy's idea of an Invitational event is pretty rad. Thats a good way of ensuring you get only the type of player's you want in your tourney. However, it can be a bit exclusive, so invite lots of people
                      Team DISCRAFT
                      NW Sign Up
                      Gorilla Boy
                      Paragon Disc Golf
                      Odwalla

Comment

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post

Andy's idea of an Invitational event is pretty rad. Thats a good way of ensuring you get only the type of player's you want in your tourney. However, it can be a bit exclusive, so invite lots of people
                        Be patient....an "Invitational" IS coming. You can BET on it.

Comment

Im running the Oregon Master cup next summer and this event is for Pro players only but it is a non-Pdga event. I want to know what players think of people who play Am for Pdga events but will play Pro for non-Pdga event. This has been a issue for years and I think its a little shady when a player will bump up when its a non-Pdga. Im thinking of having players who play this event be true Pro players only and maybe not allow Am players bump up to pro because its a non-Pdga event.

What do you think.?
                          I didn't read all the posts. Have we gotten to the point where Keith gets aggravated and cancels the event? Quit your damn whining, make it an invitational and speed up the clock so we can play the Oregon Master Cup.

E

Comment

Im sorry that am players got hurt by my joking around most of the replys were good info. am and advance players dont get me wrong Im not putting you down because you dont move up when I started playing there was one division for years then came am. now we have a division for everything am and when you play events you have very few pro's signed up and its because of many reasons. There are those few am players who never move up and just stay am for years (10 to 20 years) those were the am players im talking about. I also believe if you play advance and decide to play pro at a event you do have the right but if you just do it for non-Pdga events then go back to advance then I think your wrong. You learn more jumping to pro sooner than if you stay am for a long time because you play with better players and learn at a faster pace.
                            Keith, maybe this would have been a better first post along with more

instead of just a .

For the record, I don't dislike you Keith. Some of your opinions and the way they come across? I believe maybe you are the Pro Ying to my AM Yang. With my skills as a disc golfer I probably shouldn't even play PDGA tournaments. I have no chance or very little chance of winning or even placing in what ever division I play in. So why would I do it? I do it to be sure there are enough players and money to make a tournament happen. To give YOU and other PRO and AM players a venue to pursue what you love. AM players have been supporting tournaments for a long time to ensure a future for ALL to be able to play. It becomes very personal then, when we, as AMs are being dissed, mistreated, made to feel unwanted, or unworthy of the PRO player. What player ever went from never playing a tournament to playing Pro? Growth in the sport is happening at the AM level. We have more PRO's because we have more AMs coming into and growing the sport. We aren't to the level of the NBA yet. Kids see a Michael Jordan on tv and want to become a great basketball player. Kids aren't seeing Dave Feldberg or Avery Jenkins on tv and saying I want to be a disc golfer. New players are seeing other players in parks playing disc golf and saying, this is something I think I'll try.

Anyway, after your last post Keith, I agree with what you are trying to do. I too look forward to the day when there is a clear line between Pro and Am. Where Ams dream of the day they can turn Pro and compete in Pro events. It has to happen sometime, somewhere, and I can't think of anyplace better than here in Oregon.

Now I'm back to watching NCIS and YOU can get back to watching Matlock, Keith.

Bob

Comment

For sure this event will happen and I wont let anything get me down to where I wont do it. To me its time for all pro events to happen for number one that is how you get big cash sponsor truce me I know this one because of things I have been told by certian sponsors. I have been going after sponsor for over 20 years and there are some that only want to give big cash to pro events. Also the pro pool will get bigger faster because of the seperation between having all am events and pro. I for one also would love to help with am events and in return we could see am's wanting to help with the pro events. It's not that we are leaving each other but helping each other grow and make the sport better. I also like how the Women step up and started there own series and look at the support they got from Men.

Bob I new you did not hate me but I too read stuff on the forum and get mad before I think or if is someone I dont know says something i dont like I go dam what a jerk. Its good to not agree and to have some debat about disc golf I have been wrong many of times and have learned it from other golfers. So I wont make to many hidden jokes in my post any more. now I might get to sleep after reading some of your thoughts.
                              X - Man

Comment

Just a question, then my opinion.
                                Is competitive Disc Golf, a hobby, a pastime, a recreation, a game, an activity, or a sport?

If competitive Disc Golf is a sport then IMO playing as a professional should have some minimum standards. A persons rating does not have to be one of them, but consistant performance within a range should be. The rating system does indicate a certain level of consistant play in sanctioned competition. How about this: players should not be allowed to play pro in any sanctioned PDGA tour event until they have maintained a 970 rating or better for at least 2 rating periods, and they can not play in a sanctioned PDGA tour event if they are below that rating at the time of the event.

To be a Pro in any other sport is to be the elite in that sport. That is what spectators come to see. If the sport of Disc Golf has any chance of paying these elite athletes what their peers in other sports get paid, then being a pro must be considerably more difficult. Becoming a Pro at Disc Golf should be as difficult as becoming a pro tennis player, or a pro baseball player. A person should not be able to play for 6 months and then become a part of the sports elite players. That should never happen. It doesn't happen anywhere else in high level athletics. The best player at our finest tournament this year made $15,000 for first place and 4 days of elite level, incredible, gut wrenching, grinding golf. That is pathetic. It is lunch money. He should have walked away with $150,000 or more for that effort. And hundreds of thousands of people should have witnessed it in person and on TV. I for one, followed almost every second.

You know what folks, as long as anyone is allowed to be playing in the pro field, the purse will never be what it should be. Tighten the requirements to play at the elite level and the big bucks, sponsorships, notariety, and more awesome courses will come.

So, I say tighten up the divisions. Make people prove they belong at the next level. If they don't belong there, then they should go back and play with their equals until they can up their game. I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

To play in professional golf tournaments you must qualify or be invited by exemption. Your handicap does not matter. If you play the best golf of your life at Q school or qualify for the US Open, you get to play on tour. If you stink on tour, you have to re-qualify. That simple.

If you want to be a professional basketball player, you have to be better than 97% ( I don't know the exact statistic) of all people that touch a basketball at any level. And you have to continue at that level as long as someone will sign you to a contract.

Now, if it is just a game, or a pastime, or a hobby, who cares? Let everyone go pro. Heck, maybe I will decide to go pro at the Memorial next year. How much would those poor dudes on my card love to watch me shoot an 869 rated round,cussin and whining the whole way? I am sure Dion, Nate, or Feldberg would just think it was a hoot to watch me throw three shots into the pond on #1. Then throw OB on #2 and 3 putt from 40 feet. Yeah, I bet they would be totally cool with that. Come to think of it, the guys I play with now don't really care much for it and they are not the elite in this game. But they are damn good fellas to share a day of walking in the woods and throwing plastic stuff at trees with.

Just a thought.......
                                Training to be a bagger

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X