X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right-handed people who's primary throw is LHBH

I don't know if I am a freak of nature, a prodigy of my south paw father, or something else, but I am a right handed person who throws a disc left handed backhand. I always have as long as I can remember. Mechanically it makes a little sense to me. The body position is the same or similar to swinging a baseball bat or a golf club. But there is nothing else I do with that other hand other then throw a disc.

So here is my problem when it comes to disc golf. Backhand I throw with my left. Forehand, you guessed it, I throw with my right. The disc has the same rotation direction. Holding the disc with my left is really odd in the forehand grip. Also the arm rotation is bizarre.

So now on days where my left shoulder is feeling a little sore, I practice throwing RHBH. What seems comfortable is the wrist and arm rotation. I even feel comfortable with short putts using either hand. What is still a little odd is body rotation. Since starting DG again in June after a eight year break, I have increased my LHBH drives from 180 ft maybe to almost 300 ft. I have seen an improvement there but I am not a bomber of course. So on my RHBH drives, I am a little over 100 ft maybe. It is really sad but I want to improve my game. My only problem is keeping motivated to work on the right arm and not switching to my left.

Has anyone else had this problem or have other tips or motivation speaches?

Thanks,

-Mark

I've met more than one DGer with this baseball bat syndrome. I guess you just have to make up your mind to become a switch-hitter.
    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

One of the best players in the washington is right handed but drives backhand with his left. He throws sidearm and putts with his right. Needless to say he has the best turnover shot of anybody I have seen. I would get some understable discs and just work on a consistant turnover shot. Good luck.
      Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

I too suffer from the same problem, opposite hand. I am left handed but throw RHBH and a really poor LHFH (so you got me there).

At one point I had been hitting a nearby field to work on a LHBH but was just not committed enough to make enough progress (there was progress) where I would trust it over a severe RHBH turnover shot. My time for DG (or anything) is limited and when I did play a round I wanted to enjoy it by having the best round I could and went right back to the RHBH.

I think we both already know the answer to our problem...dedication to the weak hand.

Comment

No, that's just wrong...

My brother is the same way, right handed and stick golfs lefty...freak
          educate your thinking

Comment

I've always been an ambidextrous person, but favored one hand or the other for various tasks (write right, computers, left - for some reason a mouse on the right of a keyboard looks seriously back'ards)

My advice would be to focus on one throw (FH or BH) on both arms and get that down - visualize the walkup, get the x-step down both ways if you choose BH...you will see the benefits of taking all the natural hyzer shots with a natural shot, and I have found that visualizing the shot both sides helped me tighten up a sloppy x-step technique.

The additional advantage for me was that as I tuned my throws on both arms, the muscles used started to balance out and my back and arms hurt less after a round.

Best luck getting things together!

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
            I don't know if I am a freak of nature, a prodigy of my south paw father, or something else, but I am a right handed person who throws a disc left handed backhand. I always have as long as I can remember. Mechanically it makes a little sense to me. The body position is the same or similar to swinging a baseball bat or a golf club. But there is nothing else I do with that other hand other then throw a disc.

So here is my problem when it comes to disc golf. Backhand I throw with my left. Forehand, you guessed it, I throw with my right. The disc has the same rotation direction. Holding the disc with my left is really odd in the forehand grip. Also the arm rotation is bizarre.

So now on days where my left shoulder is feeling a little sore, I practice throwing RHBH. What seems comfortable is the wrist and arm rotation. I even feel comfortable with short putts using either hand. What is still a little odd is body rotation. Since starting DG again in June after a eight year break, I have increased my LHBH drives from 180 ft maybe to almost 300 ft. I have seen an improvement there but I am not a bomber of course. So on my RHBH drives, I am a little over 100 ft maybe. It is really sad but I want to improve my game. My only problem is keeping motivated to work on the right arm and not switching to my left.

Has anyone else had this problem or have other tips or motivation speaches?

Thanks,

-Mark

Comment

I always say "throw what you know". Usually this means a particular shot or disc, but in this case, it means which hand your throwing with. If you feel more comfortable and are getting better results with LHBH then throw LHBH. If your not sure which hand your better with, then a little time in the field might help you figure it out. Best case scenario is you can't figure out which hand your better at and you get proficient at both! Theres many many times I've been stuck in a jamb and wished I could throw with my opposite hand!

Bottom line is... don't look at this like a problem, look at it like an advantage!
              A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

About 8-9 years ago, when I was first staring golf, one of the guys I used to play with was righty but threw exclusively LHBH. He had a bit of a twist though in that he pushed the disc off with his right hand from behind it - he said it helped him generate power. He played open and won a lot of the tourneys in the chicago area (probably 980-1000 rated player) and no exageration was throwing a pegasus consistently over 450 and probably near 500 on his best throws.

Way impressive, but after trying his push strategy, I never quite understood how to coordinate both arms to make it work. Perhaps it was more about his general technique (which was smooth and quick) rather than this idiosyncracy which gave him big D.

His problem always seemed to be that the snap or arm movement generated made the discs pretty finicky - esp made mid ranges and putters turnover super quick if he accidently put too much on them.
                'Weekend 4 Women':
                Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

There is a name for this malady. You, my friend, are a Stratman.

Originally diagnosed in Humboldt Buds Ultimate legend Mark Stratman in 1979, Stratman threw a righty backhand and lefty forehand. He was a gifted thrower and defenses never figured out how to defend against him. His true claim to fame was breaking DB's leg in the first game of the inaugural Humboldt Harvest Ultimate Frisbee Tournament on November 3rd 1979. The incident forever changed mine and DB's life.
                  Last edited by The Ombudsman; October 8th, 2009, 05:50 PM. Reason: sp
                  "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

Also remembered a great tip for this - when I first started throwing on the off-hand, I spent a bunch of time playing tennis with my girlfriend and switching hands.

I found my throwing improved faster on both arms, but I never got lefty forehand down with a disc - it was hard to learn- particularly overhand, which might indicate that a major muscle group had been neglected my whole life and needed a bunch more excercise before it was going to catch up with the rest of me....

Comment

I too have the same situation, I've always been left-handed, things like writing, using utensils, most things with fine motor coordination I do left handed. Then things get a little weird, I bowl left handed, I golf left-handed and I play tennis and racquetball left-handed, but when it comes to strength and throwing disciplines I'm right-handed, baseball, I bat left and throw right. I realized a few years ago that it's because the right side of my body is actually stronger than my left. Every aspect of throwing left-handed feels terrible, so my advice would be to stick with what feels most comfortable and don't try to bend your mind to much around throwing with both hands. It definitely seems you have very good company among the ambidextrous folks.
                      PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                      dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous.
                        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Nice one Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ombudsman View Post
                            ... Humboldt Harvest Ultimate Frisbee Tournament on November 3rd 1979...
                            Ahh, add more mystery to the mix. I grew up in Humboldt.

Anyway thanks all for the sage words. I too find it a satisfying challenge and not necessarily a problem. Seeing different lines on the courses do make me wish at times that I had a mirror throw. I have practiced throwing anhyzers and I even started to find a disc that works well for me (my beat in Wraith is now under stable). However, a natural hyzer sure is more consistent in how I throw.

Also, I too see the plus of exercising both sides of my body. I can't remember the silly movie character that had one huge arm and one normal one. It makes me smile thinking that I may end up like that.

Thanks again,

Mark

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X