The fundamentals of throwing a disc-- where's the best information? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fundamentals of throwing a disc-- where's the best information?

Who can tell me where I can find the best videos(yes, youtube as well), articles, forums, or other media that have information on disc golf fundamentals and proper throwing techniques?

I think it'd be great if there was more discussion on this forum in regard to the fundamentals of the sport. I would be very interested in reading some insights from other members. With that said, I will start a new thread that is titled "I'm left handed and my side arm sucks, please help!"
    Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

i think some of the best fundementals can be learned from proven "pro" players. if you are from the seattle area, you have Aarron holley, and Chris waugh that are in the area and both of them are solid pro players. just hit them up with questions and stuff.

for videos, check out feldbergs fundementals dvd. be carefull about what you watch on youtube, because anybody can go on there trying to teach. and more than half of them dont know what they are talking about.

personaly i got my basics straight from Dave feldberg. at a tournament last year at stilly i went up and asked him if he would watch me throw a few and tell what i am doing wrong and what to improve on. He was willing and was very helpfull to me. the point is, if you get a chance to ask questions to a proven pro, dont hesitate. the worst that could happen is that they might not have the time, but if they do have the time then you could learn a ton.
    Team HOSER:dancing:
    Team OLY:cheerleader:
    Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Check out the forums at Disc Golf Review dot com. Ongoing discussions on form and technique.
      educate your thinking

Comment

Heh, dunno why you didn't want to just post the link JMan. http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/index.php There's definitely good stuff there, but there can also be lots of differing opinions on how to do what...different strokes for different folks, if you will. The instructional articles are the best I've seen anywhere, every now and then I go back and browse over them, and realize I'm doing things wrong in a lot of parts of my throw. http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles.shtml and http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/technique.shtml

Personally, I learned everything I know from this guy.
        Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          Personally, I learned everything I know from this guy.
          Yeah, I'm with Tim here. This guy is guru of gurus. He's earned those four and a half white stars, maybe even more.
          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
            Yeah, I'm with Tim here. This guy is guru of gurus. He's earned those four and a half white stars, maybe even more.
            Four and half white stars. Funny stuff.

Comment

Www.kenclimo.com
              Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

I second the suggestions of the disc golf review instructional articles and kenclimo.com. I learned to throw pretty much on my own, and the instruction on both of those websites was some of the most useful information I've found for fundamentals. Of course, reading written instruction will only take anyone so far. There is no substitute for having an actual person around who can point out technique flaws and give advice specific to your own throw. Observing skilled golfers and being able to ask questions is useful as well.

Comment

Thanks for bringing up this topic! I've been trying to teach myself this summer, and it can be frustrating when different people say different things. Earlier this year, I had one person saying that your elbow must be bent, and the disc should pass close to the chest. Another said that it should be straight, and sweep an arc, away from the body. I finally decided to take the first recommendation because so many more people said it. Even so, it's true that there are people who can make it work, while violating all the fundamentals. It's just much more difficult.

I look forward to reading more about other people's opinions on how to learn the fundamentals.

Comment

The difference between keeping it tight to your body and having an extended arm comes down to straight physics. The extended arm will just move slower given an equal amount of force.
                    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I got an ace right after learning the half fan grip from avery jenkins website. His sidearm technique has helped me big time on my sidearm...

Comment

Do you have a link to that website? I tried looking it up, couldn't find it. I love to throw sidearm, and am curious about the half fan grip information, I've been playing for years and have yet to get an ace!
                        ccovington4169@aol.com

Comment

typing up avery jenkins pulls up his website first thing, www.averyjenkins7495.com. aces will come, patience...

Comment

Take a lesson from Chris "REDFIVE" Waugh, best thing that ever happened to my game by far!
                            Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X