Courtesy Violations... Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by DexterHawk View Post
    I wish we all would call more penalties and stop worrying so much about people thinking we're mean. Why have rules if we aren't going to enforce them?
    Andy,

    Any time you see me violate a rule, you have my permission to call it on me. I won't get mad.

    Sincerely,
    Gwillim

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by snap7times View Post
      heh, i'll one up you dexterhawk... I wish players would stop trying to circumvent the rules putting other players in the tough position of having to decide if they should call it or not...
      Sounds like he didn't know the rules or didn't care. The only way to teach him is to call him on it. As it stands now he will probably do the same thing in his next tournament, having not been penalized for it in the past.

      Comment


      • #18
        The question comes down to why we don't call someone for violations. For me, I guess it's just a case of being chicken, a wish to avoid confrontation during the round, and not wanting to be known as the "rules nazi".

        It's BS. I get pissed when someone breaks a rule. Why should they get to play by their own rules but I don't? I always promise myself that in my next round I'll call anything I see but when the time comes I end up swallowing my whistle.

        Comment


        • #19
          I'm hoping to play in the Hope Open at the end of this month... it will be my first tournament... and I hope (oops, punny punny hehe) that if I do anything uncouth I will be immediately told, and I will completely accept whatever penalty goes along with the violation (I'm a little concerned about the 30 second thing, but I'm practicing during my cas rounds)... also, I know it's my responsibility to know the rules of tournament play... so again, please calll me out and I'll be studying up.

          this whole situation sounds super bogus and I'm sorry for the people involved that it happened... I think it's time to get brave, not worry about being a rules nazi and maybe even sometimes the people will actually be gratefully to you for teaching them (maybe).

          peace threw disc golf,
          emmarose
          "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
          Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

          Comment


          • #20
            I end up swallowing my whistle.
            How's passing the whistle?

            I play lots of casual rounds with lots of people. I play very few tournaments so it's hard for me to make the transition. Most times, groups who come here have their own standards for what's chickenshamwow. I play with them but follow my own standard. Some of our tournament rules are in place and some aren't during casual play. I tell the group what they are and they accept or reject as they choose.

            Minis drive me nutz. I always walk off without them. I've been cut slack in tournament play on minis by the group. I've appreciated that. I place my bag such that my mini pocket, with a mini in it, is where the mini would be placed, but the PDGA says nothing can be there except a mini. If my bag won't sit that way without rolling over, then I use the mini alone. What purpose does that rule serve? It's certainly not discourteous. Most would realize that is a violation that a "rule Nazi" would call.

            One time Jub called me for kicking my bag. It's a rule, all right. I had placed my bag behind me when putting and I sometimes kick my left foot backwards when I putt with my right hand. I accidentally kicked my bag and Jub caught it. It turned out the rule was made for kicking your bag in anger and Jub was doing a pretty good job of pulling my leg. It just shows that the potential for chickenshamwow exists, and we all know it. I know I don't want to play in a tournament with any rule Nazi.

            There are certainly lines that can be crossed. We just have to find them for the game to remain enjoyable.


            Over the line!
            Last edited by Ol' Bob; October 2nd, 2009, 10:49 AM.
            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
            ...but it plays one on TV.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by frizbeerose View Post
              I'm hoping to play in the Hope Open at the end of this month... it will be my first tournament... and I hope (oops, punny punny hehe) that if I do anything uncouth I will be immediately told, and I will completely accept whatever penalty goes along with the violation (I'm a little concerned about the 30 second thing, but I'm practicing during my cas rounds)... also, I know it's my responsibility to know the rules of tournament play... so again, please calll me out and I'll be studying up.

              this whole situation sounds super bogus and I'm sorry for the people involved that it happened... I think it's time to get brave, not worry about being a rules nazi and maybe even sometimes the people will actually be gratefully to you for teaching them (maybe).

              peace threw disc golf,
              emmarose
              Hey Emma if you play advanced those girls are super cool, and normally if there is a violation you will get a warning first. You will be fine don't stress over it too much. Really hope you guys are able to play.

              Cindy
              Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
              2013 Chick Flick co-TD
              Stumptown #176
              PDGA #37716

              Comment


              • #22
                You don't need to enforce the rules if you don't want to, you can inform of them instead. I have never called anyone on a rules violation but I have let people know that they could be called for something. If you don't want to be a rules nazi don't punish just teach. I haven't seen anything as drastic as these violations and I would have called some of these for sure. I try to say something when everyone in the group is around so we can discuss and it isn't just me being the bad guy it is everyone having a group discussion. Rules are there for a reason if someone can't abide by them then tournament golf is not for them. Call if needed, but do it to help the other player by givingthem some knowledge of proper golf guidelines.
                Click here

                Challenge disc golf

                Comment


                • #23
                  Actually, you do not have to use a mini, unless you are marking a lie after coming in from OB. You are more than welcome to simply play behind your previously thrown disc and pick it up when done.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    but you can't pick that same disc up and throw it again unless you mark it.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      play behind your previously thrown disc and pick it up when done.
                      I havent played in a touniment and i dont have a mini so that is what I usualy do, unless I want to use the disk I threw last. Then I mark it with another disk from my bag.
                      Throw What You Know.
                      "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                      PDGA# 45989

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Uhlman View Post
                        I havent played in a touniment and i dont have a mini so that is what I usualy do, unless I want to use the disk I threw last. Then I mark it with another disk from my bag.
                        That is fine. However, if you choose to mark the disc, it must be with a mini.

                        This is only for PDGA tournament play, of course.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by DexterHawk View Post
                          but you can't pick that same disc up and throw it again unless you mark it.
                          Of course.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Scott View Post
                            That is fine. However, if you choose to mark the disc, it must be with a mini.

                            This is only for PDGA tournament play, of course.
                            Of course. does any one know where you can buy minis?
                            Throw What You Know.
                            "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                            PDGA# 45989

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Uhlman View Post
                              Of course. does any one know where you can buy minis?
                              Any online retailer should have them.

                              Usually you can find them from between $1-$5.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Uhlman View Post
                                Of course. does any one know where you can buy minis?
                                http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_d...type=7&anum=34

                                Comment

                                Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X